Former sorter getting fired during probation period

Raydrin

So unfortunately as hard I tried a little incident got me the axe :( I however thank them the opportunity I was given and was told I could reapply at a later time but I was wondering would the incident that happen to me be held against me?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So unfortunately as hard I tried a little incident got me the axe :( I however thank them the opportunity I was given and was told I could reapply at a later time but I was wondering would the incident that happen to me be held against me?

Honestly, if you get cut during the probationary period, there is almost no chance you were "rated" as rehire.

Move on to another job ... UPS is not that special a place and even more so in the future.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ok totally changes everything. Your a part timer looking to go full time? Broken mirrors are pretty minor at my center we just write it up in the dvir every place is different though.

Raydrin

I was but they had to let me go since I was still on my probation when it happened. I was just told to try and reapply in 6 months or so with the company. But yeah I was a little over 30 days in on my 70 day probation.

Raydrin

I was in the hub. I was one of the local sorters that came in at the end of the day and unloaded the trucks, loaded the freight truck, wash the package trucks etc.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
He broke a mirror on a package car. Doesn't make sense that he was fired though and not just sent back to work full time.

menotyou

bella amicizia
He broke a mirror on a package car. Doesn't make sense that he was fired though and not just sent back to work full time.
If he broke a mirror, he'd be written up at best. The worst BA in the world could get his job back for that, even if he was fired. This makes no sense.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I accidentally broke a mirror on one of the folding mirrors. Not the actual mirror just the glass part which was replaced with no issues later on that night.
That's BS. We have mirrors broke all the time. All that should have done was DQ you from FT and sent you back to the hub. If you were fired then the BA fell down doing his job.

Raydrin

I wasn't a driver. I was a new hire in the warehouse. Sucks that it happened cause I actually loved my job and the people I worked with.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I wasn't a driver. I was a new hire in the warehouse. Sucks that it happened cause I actually loved my job and the people I worked with.
So, you were a pt'er in the warehouse who broke a mirror on a truck. Were you driving the truck in some capacity? Did you have authority to do so? How did the mirror get broken?? Since you got canned, I guess there is no harm in divulging.

Why didn't you file a grievance?

wgf46

That ain't right, sounds like they wanted you gone for some other reason. Broken mirrors are accidents. Something doesn't sound right !

Raydrin

Yeah I was backing the truck into the bay. It was a pretty tight fit and the truck was too close on the right side and the mirror was pushed in on truck beside the one I was backing in which cause the mirror to crack. It is a lesson learned for me and I hope I am given another chance once they are hiring again.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yeah I was backing the truck into the bay. It was a pretty tight fit and the truck was too close on the right side and the mirror was pushed in on truck beside the one I was backing in which cause the mirror to crack. It is a lesson learned for me and I hope I am given another chance once they are hiring again.
Ahh. Ok. Did you file a grievance??? The union should have been able to get that thrown out. They went through that at my center a while back. Everyone who broke a mirror got fired. All got their jobs back.

menotyou

bella amicizia
That ain't right, sounds like they wanted you gone for some other reason. Broken mirrors are accidents. Something doesn't sound right !
I agree that they used that to get rid of him. But, the union should have been involved. I am pulling teeth it seems.

Raydrin

Well I was told since I am still on my probation it is why I got fired. Had I been past my 70 days to which i would be fully in the company then it would of been put on my record but that would of been it and not just put on my record then fired for it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Well I was told since I am still on my probation it is why I got fired. Had I been past my 70 days to which i would be fully in the company then it would of been put on my record but that would of been it and not just put on my record then fired for it.
No. You don't get fired for breaking a mirror working on metro/car wash backing a truck up. Sorry. You got the shaft, if that's what happened. It sounds like they didn't like you(not agreeing with them or disagreeing, just saying that's how it sounds-from experience) and they used that to get rid of you.