Fred cuts marketing by 25%

kingOFchester

Actually, most districts LOOSE money during peak. I agree though with the "we value your service campaign" because slowing the blets and handling paxkages with greater care will have a huge LONG TERM impact.
Worked several positions at preload. Most of the damaged packages I see are a direct result of pushing for better numbers with the production. Pickoffs tossing packages right and left since they will get an ear full if they shut off the belt. Same with loading and unloading cars and trailers. I will say that it is easy to critisise, not knowing all the varialbles to the equation that gives UPS their final profit numbers. But I do know that a lot of the damages could be avoided by decreassing the workload.

I do see UPS as a micro bean counter. In the 1 1/2 I have been there I have had to have my time clock adjusted atleast a dozen times. Now I am having issues with my Saturday driving hours being "toyed" with. 2 saturdays ago I was told to be there at 8:30. Worked the belt sorting until 8:50. Drove and clocked out at 12:33. Got exactly 3.5 hours of pay. Complained and they said they would add it to the following weeks check....which they did, but paid me the first .5 at my part tim rate. When asked about it, the response I got was "well you weren't driving for the first .5. The following week got there again at the request of my sup at 8:30. Clocked out at 11:59. This week the pay check was for exactly 3..

One last thing I have an issue with is all last week we were working late. Most of our fulltime driver are to start at 8:20am and they are usually out the door shortly there after. All last week they were getting out much closer to 9, if not later while the packaes trickle down the belts fo the last 45 minutes. The frustrating part was to see a lot of the unloaders and small sorts leaving the bldg before 8. I know a lot of the drivers in my center had late airs all week as they got a late start to an area that is not around the corner from the bldg. worst part, 90% of those packages that were trickling down the belts and slides were grounds, not airs. If service was #1, then they should of cut the drivers loose and had the grounds shuttled out. But again, I do not know all the specifics.:whiteflag:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Guys, think McNuggets

Not too long ago, someone came out with a real slam on nuggets. REmember, what part of the chicken is the nugget etc etc. Really took McD's to the floor with the adds.

Now, you really cant remember who put out those adds, but what you do see is the NugNuts commercials. And guess what, instead of loosing market share, they are kicking serious butt with their McNuggets.

So it goes with add money.

d

Re-Raise

I think people buy McNuggets because they are addicted to that fatty junk.

Ford is still advertisng trucks...doesn't necessarily equate to sales just because you advertise.

If people didn't like the taste of McDonalds food do you still think people would be eating there, just because a guy in a clown costume tells them to?

Scotsman

Scotsman
Does anybody remember the Scotland UPS commercial? driver walks into a pub and announces "Ian Allister Mckenzie?" everyone says "Aye!"

Pure Dead Brilliant!

kingOFchester

I think people buy McNuggets because they are addicted to that fatty junk.

Ford is still advertisng trucks...doesn't necessarily equate to sales just because you advertise.

If people didn't like the taste of McDonalds food do you still think people would be eating there, just because a guy in a clown costume tells them to?

Ok you win!!
Advertising doesn't pay. To think all these years companies have been spending on avearge of 500 billion a year on marketing.

Just imagine all the money you would save Mcdonalds and be able to put all that money into the stock holders pocket if you were the CEO.

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
ReRaise

You are too funny

Ford is still advertising trucks...doesn't necessarily equate to sales just because you advertise.
So it is by accident that Ford trucks are mostly the #1 brand of trucks sold, because it sure cant not be the advertising? Look at history, the ford f150 is the best selling truck of all time.

I agree with Scotsman. What made FedEx a household name and a method(fedex it to me) of getting a package when you want it when you want it, was the early on advertising they did with humorous commercials. Nothing says in your memory than something you can laugh at.

d

kingOFchester

ReRaise

You are too funny

So it is by accident that Ford trucks are mostly the #1 brand of trucks sold, because it sure cant not be the advertising? Look at history, the ford f150 is the best selling truck of all time.

d
d,

I think we are just talking to a wall at this point.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Well, whats so bad is that from my perspective of the past, Chevy has had the better truck most of the time. So advertising made the difference.

Interesting though, if the toyota takoma is as good as their cars, it might be that their ads might topple the champs?

d

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Just wash the dang truck. That is the best advertising we have. They are all over the place and keep moving around. Then give the drivers a few minutes to tell customers about our services.

Re-Raise

d,

I think we are just talking to a wall at this point.

Wow. I guess I am the wall huh. My point is providing a quality product to fill an existing customer need is much more important than the money spent on advertising.

Unless of course you are in advertising. I am not. I provide a quality delivery service to my customers. As well as a "wall" can do it.

govols019

You smell that?

Not if you add the numbers for GMC and Chevrolet together. They are the same truck so they should count as one. So says my blind loyalty to GM.