Fred sells big.

MAKAVELI

Density improves Express margins and frees up capacity in the Ground network for increases in volume due to growth and the integration of SmartPost.
Your going to have to back that up with actual numbers. They are delivering 6 days now and soon 7 days. I just don't see the volume increasing that much to justify taking volume from ground.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Your going to have to back that up with actual numbers. They are delivering 6 days now and soon 7 days. I just don't see the volume increasing that much to justify taking volume from ground.

Estimates are that the SmartPost freight will account for an approximate increase of 2 million packages a day, and then increase from there.

It's a desperation move. Too bad you can't see the writing on the wall.
Amazon is going to deliver a blow to FedEx, which just lost $2 billion

I read the same thing a few years ago when all delivery jobs were in immediate peril because of drones. It's amazing how we can all look around and see how ecommerce is growing at rates that no one anticipated and then determine that it's harmful to package delivery companies, LOL.

bacha29

Finally a lucid comment from you. Ground was built by express, express employees paid that price for years.
Express is now poaching lower margin packages they built a ground empire around to gain higher margins on.
I smell a shell game scam. I don't know much about ground, do you guys offer guaranteed commit times, backed by refund?
Help me on this, I'm trying to learn something.
" Ground was built by Express"? Hahaha! If that's the case how come Fat Freddy had to buy RPS/Caliber with Fedex stock rather than cash? It's because he didn't have it. In fact i was told by Roadway middle management that Roadway was trying to get RPS back from Freddy and was seriously considering restarting RPS. Fedex needed RPS a whole lot more that it needed him. Why? Simple. Has and probably always will be a money maker.

vantexan

" Ground was built by Express"? Hahaha! If that's the case how come Fat Freddy had to buy RPS/Caliber with Fedex stock rather than cash? It's because he didn't have it. In fact i was told by Roadway middle management that Roadway was trying to get RPS back from Freddy and was seriously considering restarting RPS. Fedex needed RPS a whole lot more that it needed him. Why? Simple. Has and probably always will be a money maker.
For more than a decade Express employees got anemic raises if they got one at all while their benefits were substantially reduced. Where did that money go? To keep profits up while spending on Ground infrastructure. That how Express built Ground. FedEx might have bought RPS but they didn't have the infrastructure Ground has today.

bacha29

For more than a decade Express employees got anemic raises if they got one at all while their benefits were substantially reduced. Where did that money go? To keep profits up while spending on Ground infrastructure. That how Express built Ground. FedEx might have bought RPS but they didn't have the infrastructure Ground has today.
Blaming Ground for your stagnant wages. LOL A little thing your forgetting here. The worst recession in 80 years which saw X stock fall to $33 a share. The problem with Express is that it's in a bad position. It's a needed service but a service that is becoming too expensive to operate. What is happening now is that there's too many carriers and not enough profitable freight. if there's a good thing about is that it might delay the entrance into the business by people like Maersk and XPO who have been long rumored to possible future entrants.

MAKAVELI

Blaming Ground for your stagnant wages. LOL A little thing your forgetting here. The worst recession in 80 years which saw X stock fall to $33 a share. The problem with Express is that it's in a bad position. It's a needed service but a service that is becoming too expensive to operate. What is happening now is that there's too many carriers and not enough profitable freight. if there's a good thing about is that it might delay the entrance into the business by people like Maersk and XPO who have been long rumored to possible future entrants.
They really have painted themselves in a corner keeping the two networks separate. The move of taking ground freight to fill the planes in my opinion is inching them closer to a combined Network like the UPS system.

Fixxxer

They really have painted themselves in a corner keeping the two networks separate. The move of taking ground freight to fill the planes in my opinion is inching them closer to a combined Network like the UPS system.
If they do that either everything will be run by contractors or we would unionize. Unfortunately my moneys on the contractor option.

MAKAVELI

If they do that either everything will be run by contractors or we would unionize. Unfortunately my moneys on the contractor option.
Unions are weak right now and this administration is making them even weaker. At this point with Amazon in the game they have to think about survival not about Unionization.

vantexan

Our raises were minimal and our benefits started being stripped almost 10 years before the recession. And Ground was nowhere as developed as it is now. They held money from us to build Ground and keep profits up enough to keep shareholders happy.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Please. They aren't taking anything from Ground. They are offering the Express 2D service at Ground prices. Shippers will decide if any Ground freight goes to Express.