Freightliner Just Revealed The First Real Road-Legal Autonomous Big Rig

Well at least I don't have to worry about my job due to this. As we still have trucks without power steering. I do not believe UPS will be able to have a whole fleet by the time I retire.

UPS4Life

Google states the accidents were not the fault of their cars.
Wonder what all the computer data shows?
Not that it will ever be made public.
The data would be interesting to hear about. My question is were these accidents preventable? In other words could a human have seen It coming and did something to prevent it? Maybe Google doesn't have standards like ups because it's ALWAYS preventable..... At least 99.99% of the times

clean hairy

Some thoughts not discussed so far.
Just how much will this technology increase the cost of a car and the rigs?
Secondly, say a sensor detects a low tire, or overheat condition, will it pull over and shut down?
As humans, we see the temp gauge creeping up, or low tire sensor comes on, and an exit a mile ahead, we will continue and stop at the gas station.
Will the sensors make the same conclusion?
Also, I am guessing the early version of this will have an option where the sytem can be turned off and driven as we do now.
How many folks will elect to turn it off and not use it?
Sure would like to see with the self parking cars during the Holidays at the Mall, 1 parking spot, and 2 cars trying to access the same spot.
One benefit there might be, is that Taxi Drivers may no longer be able to take you on a scenic tour of the city to run up the meter!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Some thoughts not discussed so far.
Just how much will this technology increase the cost of a car and the rigs?

Been covered in links. Under 10k. As with anything will get cheaper.
Secondly, say a sensor detects a low tire, or overheat condition, will it pull over and shut down?

As humans, we see the temp gauge creeping up, or low tire sensor comes on, and an exit a mile ahead, we will continue and stop at the gas station.
Will the sensors make the same conclusion?

They can drive themselves but can't figure this out? Come on now.

Also, I am guessing the early version of this will have an option where the sytem can be turned off and driven as we do now.
How many folks will elect to turn it off and not use it?
Sure would like to see with the self parking cars during the Holidays at the Mall, 1 parking spot, and 2 cars trying to access the same spot.
One benefit there might be, is that Taxi Drivers may no longer be able to take you on a scenic tour of the city to run up the meter!

trickpony1

Don't you know the Ivory Towers already has a team, sort of like the Orion team, to figure out how to implement this in feeders and pkg cars.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
first fatal car crash involving an automated car. lets see if the group consensus is corrected about it totally shutting down this fad.

http://jalopnik.com/first-fatal-tesla-autopilot-crash-sparks-nhtsa-investig-1782916450
The problem I have with this is that Tesla's autopilot is in beta and they describe it as an "assist feature". Yet surely they know full well that people are going to use it and ignore the road completely. It's one thing to release a beta for a video game, it's another to release it when it puts people's lives at risk.

BrownArmy

The problem I have with this is that Tesla's autopilot is in beta and they describe it as an "assist feature". Yet surely they know full well that people are going to use it and ignore the road completely. It's one thing to release a beta for a video game, it's another to release it when it puts people's lives at risk.

This tech could be in Omega stage and there would still be accidents.

Kinda why there called accidents...

BrownArmy

Tesla's own release said the tech didn't recognize a white trailer against a bright sky. That screams not road ready to me.

Yet here we are, another case of law being outpaced by technology.

My point was we could have AI/MATRIX/BLADE RUNNER tech with the latest update from the year 2050 and still, someone will die in an accident.

Again, it's why we call them accidents.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Yet here we are, another case of law being outpaced by technology.

My point was we could have AI/MATRIX/BLADE RUNNER tech with the latest update from the year 2050 and still, someone will die in an accident.

Again, it's why we call them accidents.
No doubt we're still going to have accidents, and I do think the tech will prevent more accidents than it causes. But when it's sold as "autopilot", and it's not ready to be the pilot, we've got problems. I have no doubt that the guy who was decapitated in this accident was not paying attention at all.

I just think accidents like this are a strong point to consider when people are talking about driverless cars and eliminating jobs. The tech can assist, it can make our jobs safer and easier, but it can't replace the eyes of an experienced driver.

oldngray

nowhere special
Tesla did tell the drivers it was only an assist and the driver should keep both hands on the wheel and be ready to take control at all times.

What would the point be to have the autopilot under those conditions?

Tesla knew their drivers would trust the technology but made sure they had their legal boilerplate.

BrownArmy

No doubt we're still going to have accidents, and I do think the tech will prevent more accidents than it causes. But when it's sold as "autopilot", and it's not ready to be the pilot, we've got problems. I have no doubt that the guy who was decapitated in this accident was not paying attention at all.

I just think accidents like this are a strong point to consider when people are talking about driverless cars and eliminating jobs. The tech can assist, it can make our jobs safer and easier, but it can't replace the eyes of an experienced driver.

I agree.

Seriously, I don't disagree with anything you're saying.

Perhaps this specific incident will wake people up, or not.

The question here might be, who is to blame?

Tesla? The driver?

Fifty years from now when it's illegal for me to drive my '84 Toyota on the roads (should I live to 90), when 99% of all cars on the automated highways drive themselves, we'll have worked out the nuances and legalities of driverless vehicles.

For now, it will take situations like this to lay out how we get from here to there.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I agree.

Seriously, I don't disagree with anything you're saying.

Perhaps this specific incident will wake people up, or not.

The question here might be, who is to blame?

Tesla? The driver?

Fifty years from now when it's illegal for me to drive my '84 Toyota on the roads (should I live to 90), when 99% of all cars on the automated highways drive themselves, we'll have worked out the nuances and legalities of driverless vehicles.

For now, it will take situations like this to lay out how we get from here to there.
At the end of the day it's the driver who is at fault, luckily in this case he was the only one who suffered the consequences of his mistakes. I would say Tesla holds some blame for releasing it too soon, but I'm not sure they could ever test it enough in a controlled environment. I think you summed it up pretty well when you said technology outpaces laws. We're in uncharted territory here.

BrownArmy

At the end of the day it's the driver who is at fault, luckily in this case he was the only one who suffered the consequences of his mistakes. I would say Tesla holds some blame for releasing it too soon, but I'm not sure they could ever test it enough in a controlled environment. I think you summed it up pretty well when you said technology outpaces laws. We're in uncharted territory here.

My guess is people said similar things when 'horseless carriages' showed up on the scene.

Imagine the first drunk driving accident in an automobile?

People probably shook their heads and said, "See."

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
My guess is people said similar things when 'horseless carriages' showed up on the scene.

Imagine the first drunk driving accident in an automobile?

People probably shook their heads and said, "See."

True.

But people are more willing to forgive, or overlook, a person who may have screwed up and killed someone with their car.

People are, and will not be, so willing to forgive, a "computer" that killed somebody.