Freightliner Just Revealed The First Real Road-Legal Autonomous Big Rig

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
100 years lol. Try 10-20. Tou have to ask though at what point does the pay drop to zilch because you're essentially a passenger?

I would love to have some of what you are smoking.

Autoland, the ability of an aircraft to land itself, was available to airlines over 45 years ago.

Autopilot, referred to as "George" long before that.

It has been over 45 years that an airplane can fly without a pilot.

There are still highly paid pilots sitting in the seat.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Programming has not changed as much as you might think. Most operating systems other than Windows use a version of Unix. Most of the changes have been related to the internet and not about running applications.

And computer technology has come to a standstill.

They cannot fit anymore transistors on a silicone wafer. They can't dissapate the heat.

The only thing they are doing now is putting more cores in a processor.

We achieved over 3 GHZ 10 years ago. We are still there. Where's Moore's Law on this one.

We need a major breakthrough to get past this hurdle, and no one can seem to find it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I would love to have some of what you are smoking.

Autoland, the ability of an aircraft to land itself, was available to airlines over 45 years ago.

Autopilot, referred to as "George" long before that.

It has been over 45 years that an airplane can fly without a pilot.

There are still highly paid pilots sitting in the seat.
Let's be realistic the stakes are much much higher at 20,000 feet.

If a truck or car malfunctions just have it automatically shut down and pull to the side of the road.

Also you have to take into account those passenger on the plane want a pilot there for piece of mind. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those boxes in the back of a truck will have zero anxiety about a computer having control.

Last edited:

alister

And computer technology has come to a standstill.

They cannot fit anymore transistors on a silicone wafer. They can't dissapate the heat.

The only thing they are doing now is putting more cores in a processor.

We achieved over 3 GHZ 10 years ago. We are still there. Where's Moore's Law on this one.

We need a major breakthrough to get past this hurdle, and no one can seem to find it.
Google CPU benchmarks by year. Read and try to understand GHZ is not the only factor in CPU performance. I have a 3ghz and computer at work and and Intel i5 2ghz and the Intel kicks the amds butt

oldngray

nowhere special
Google CPU benchmarks by year. Read and try to understand GHZ is not the only factor in CPU performance. I have a 3ghz and computer at work and and Intel i5 2ghz and the Intel kicks the amds butt

Those benchmarks can be misleading. What i5 do you have with only 2GHZ? I never heard of any that slow.

Brownslave688

You also have to take I to account that the home computer or even the average business computer is way overkill for what's it is used for.

When the difference in an upgrade is a program or a webpage loading .02 seconds faster who cares. There just isn't a lot of incentive in that area right now.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I do agree that GHz speed can be misleading. For instance Celerons are real dogs. Plus more cores is better.
There's a couple other mobile i5's that run right around 2ghz, anywhere from 1.8 to 2.2. Celerons were a good deal back in the day when overclocking provided real benefits, these days there's not much point in getting one unless you're super tight for cash.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Let's be realistic the stakes are much much higher at 20,000 feet.

If a truck or car malfunctions just have it automatically shut down and pull to the side of the road.

Also you have to take into account those passenger on the plane want a pilot there for piece of mind. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those boxes in the back of a truck will have zero anxiety about a computer having control.

I tend to agree with you on the passengers, but what about all the people driving next to this driverless big rig?

Don't you think they will be just as worried as the passengers on a plane?

Brownslave688

I tend to agree with you on the passengers, but what about all the people driving next to this driverless big rig?

Don't you think they will be just as worried as the passengers on a plane?
A small percentage will be. But the way most will see it is it does not directly effect them. Even if it does. That's obviously just an opinion.

You know after you brought it up it got me thinking. I would think ups and FedEx would be the first two companies to adapt totally human less planes but once again the stakes are much higher in the air than 70 mph on the road.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
A small percentage will be. But the way most will see it is it does not directly effect them. Even if it does. That's obviously just an opinion.

You know after you brought it up it got me thinking. I would think ups and FedEx would be the first two companies to adapt totally human less planes but once again the stakes are much higher in the air than 70 mph on the road.

You would think they at least would want the $100,000/yr seat warmer instead of the $250,000 to $350,000 version....

I mean, since it basically flies and lands itself.....

Brownslave688

You would think they at least would want the $100,000/yr seat warmer instead of the $250,000 to $350,000 version....

I mean, since it basically flies and lands itself.....
Very true but EVER plane crash makes the news and headlines. Remember when our plane crashed?

That's the only thing I could think of. We talk about how much this tech will cost but compared to the cost of an employee it's well worth it.

clean hairy

Lets say in this case, what do the computers decide?
Driverless Big Rig that will only drive in the right lane, and not change lanes travelling on the expressway.
Another Driverless Big Rig on the entrance ramp to merge onto the roadway.
Does the one on the expressway slow down to let the perging rig in?
Does the merging rig slow down and wait for a safe distance to merge onto the expressway?
Does the software on the 2 rigs communicate with each other to establish how this merging will be safely done?
Currently, we can flash our lights to let a merging rig know we are lettin it in, or change lanes to give the merging rig room to merge on.
How does the software on cars or rigs get programmed to handle just this one traffic situation?

Browndriver5

Ok have the tech in 2 years. Won't see it in the real world for 4. Still before 2020.

I haven't once said our jobs are in danger. Not for at least 20-30 years.

Passenger cars will be driving themselves long before we would be replaced however.

Package and feeder are much different as far as figuring this out. Pulling from point a to b is much easier than programming 100 time dependent stops in.

With that said what I bolded is what I have said in previous threads about this will happen. Sure we are talking 25-30 years down the road but for those just starting here it's something to thing about.

That's all depends on what you consider near. 5 years no. 30-40 years (the average working life of an adult) you bet.

Eventually you will be right on a time frame if you keep going up.