Freightliner Just Revealed The First Real Road-Legal Autonomous Big Rig

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Eventually you will be right on a time frame if you keep going up.
20-30 years is the time frame to replace us. Feeders probably closer to the 20 year mark package closers to 30. You can go back and look at previous threads about that and see I have said that all along

Having the technology, getting a car on the road, consumers accepting it, and it replacing employees are all difference things.

Once again this will not happen overnight. You act as if we will wake up 1 day and all the trucking jobs will be gone immediatly. That's not how technology takes away jobs. Never has never will. It will slowly happen over many years.

Brownslave688

Lets say in this case, what do the computers decide?
Driverless Big Rig that will only drive in the right lane, and not change lanes travelling on the expressway.

They won't be brought to market until they can change lanes along with many other things.

Another Driverless Big Rig on the entrance ramp to merge onto the roadway.
Does the one on the expressway slow down to let the perging rig in?

More than likely. It will know the truck is coming down the ramp before you or I would see it.

Does the merging rig slow down and wait for a safe distance to merge onto the expressway?
Does the software on the 2 rigs communicate with each other to establish how this merging will be safely done?

Yes

Currently, we can flash our lights to let a merging rig know we are lettin it in, or change lanes to give the merging rig room to merge on.
How does the software on cars or rigs get programmed to handle just this one traffic situation?

Im not a software engineer so I can't tell you exactly how it would work. What I can tell you is that this situation isn't exactly one they are worried about. Very simple solution

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Let's be realistic the stakes are much much higher at 20,000 feet.

If a truck or car malfunctions just have it automatically shut down and pull to the side of the road.

Also you have to take into account those passenger on the plane want a pilot there for piece of mind. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those boxes in the back of a truck will have zero anxiety about a computer having control.

Yeah, but the traveling public will have plenty of anxiety about that rig without a driver at the wheel.

Brownslave688

Yeah, but the traveling public will have plenty of anxiety about that rig without a driver at the wheel.
I don't think they will. They don't see it as directly affecting them. Plus as always your younger generation will be much quicker to adopt. I'd say 90% of the people I know under 25 would just assume let a computer drive. They hate driving.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't think they will. They don't see it as directly affecting them. Plus as always your younger generation will be much quicker to adopt. I'd say 90% of the people I know under 25 would just assume let a computer drive. They hate driving.

90% of those under 25 would just as soon let someone else do EVERYTHING---except maybe play video games.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Maybe, but there is a big difference between hating driving and being ambivalent about a highway full of trucks driving by themselves.

Brownslave688

Google states the accidents were not the fault of their cars.
Wonder what all the computer data shows?
Not that it will ever be made public.
And that's the thing. It may not be. I mean for all we know. It turned what could of been a major accident into a fender bender.

There's just no way to know n

oldngray

nowhere special
California law requires the state to keep quiet about the details but Google is allowed to release information if they wanted to. Their silence tends to indicate it would look bad for Google if released.

alister

It's just gotta kill one person and we will not see it for another 50 years
If only one company was doing this or if money. Spent on it was low, then yes. But the industry is behind this. Even Hyundai ( not to be mistaken for Honda) is working on it. There is too much money and companies involved in this to simply go away.

clean hairy

Of course, if at some point we get these and there is a mishap, the company will claim "According to the data, the driver was messing with the controls not allowing the computers to do their job of safely navigating the roadway"
be interesting to see the first grievance of this type being heard.