Freightliner Just Revealed The First Real Road-Legal Autonomous Big Rig

clean hairy

A computer cannot be programmed for every conceivable situation.
I take it most of us have had our home computer or cell phone power of and reboot on its own?
Who would want to be on the Death Road from Phoenix to Vegas in a computer controlled car and one of the computers shuts off and reboots on one of those curves?
Computers cannot be made perfect.
Consider the one that played on Jeopardy, it gave wrong ansers.
If a computer in a driverless car comes up with a wrong answer in a given situation........

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A computer cannot be programmed for every conceivable situation.
I take it most of us have had our home computer or cell phone power of and reboot on its own?
Who would want to be on the Death Road from Phoenix to Vegas in a computer controlled car and one of the computers shuts off and reboots on one of those curves?
Computers cannot be made perfect.
Consider the one that played on Jeopardy, it gave wrong ansers.
If a computer in a driverless car comes up with a wrong answer in a given situation........
You're way off on thinking a "computer" in a car is anything like your home computer or phone.

Cars will "talk" to each other with lasers and radar and millions of sensors. The road will have microchips in it and traffic lights and so on. Your car will know there's a wreck ahead miles before you get to it.

Look at your cell phone 15 years and your one now.

oldngray

nowhere special
Motivation-13.jpg

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What's your point? If it's unavoidable it wouldn't matter if a human were driving or not.

There would be not headlines I can promise you that. Not unless the automation lead to the accident.
Who's to say the automation didn't lead to the accident?

Sensors? How many of you have erratic telematic data? Seat belt not worn 25 times.

And I was responding to FrigidAdCorrector.

He said planes fly by autopilot and do not crash into each other.

I pointed out that planes do not fly within 5 feet of one another.

Watch the History Channel. They do specials on FAA investigations into plane crashes.

Saw one on an Airbus 380. Primary systems, plus both backup systems failed. Plane crashed.

Here's a headline. Computers malfunctioned on an autonomous semi causing a 50 car pile-up killing 10.

People are somewhat willing to forgive human error.

People are not ready to forgive computer failure for causing deaths.

Brownslave688

Who's to say the automation didn't lead to the accident?

Sensors? How many of you have erratic telematic data? Seat belt not worn 25 times.

And I was responding to FrigidAdCorrector.

He said planes fly by autopilot and do not crash into each other.

I pointed out that planes do not fly within 5 feet of one another.

Watch the History Channel. They do specials on FAA investigations into plane crashes.

Saw one on an Airbus 380. Primary systems, plus both backup systems failed. Plane crashed.

Here's a headline. Computers malfunctioned on an autonomous semi causing a 50 car pile-up killing 10.

People are somewhat willing to forgive human error.

People are not ready to forgive computer failure for causing deaths.
Yeah it'll happen. 1 time for every billions of miles driven. Not enough for it to matter.

Also I said they have admitted city driving is still a hurdle for them. One they fully expect to leap over in the next two years. That's right 2 years. They aren't making projections 50 years into the future. This is happening now.

I completely understand that many of you are not comfortable with this happening and are trying to think of every reason you can that its not viable but it is viable and proven and happening as we speak.

Brownslave688

People! Read the article in the link! The truck still requires a driver, and doesn't really do much more than a new Infiniti or Mercedes with lane assist and active cruise control.
And that's how it starts. Then accident awareness and this and that. Next thing you know you don't need a driver. ;)

UPS4Life

People! Read the article in the link! The truck still requires a driver, and doesn't really do much more than a new Infiniti or Mercedes with lane assist and active cruise control.
Correct, so with this still needing a driver will there be a more difficult license to get? If so would UPS train/send us for it or just bring it new people?
With a plane I think I would be ok with auto pilot because IF something happens you should have time to fix it. If something happens in a truck you could be in a ditch or oncoming traffic before you know it.

overflowed

Interesting topic. So this is somewhat like amazon wanting to fly drones. I have lots of drinking friends that would think they are a free skeet shooting match. I'm also sure some people would immediately think of taking a truck full of freight with no driver. Will the the truck be armed later? After they feel no need for a person to watch it?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yeah it'll happen. 1 time for every billions of miles driven. Not enough for it to matter.

Also I said they have admitted city driving is still a hurdle for them. One they fully expect to leap over in the next two years. That's right 2 years. They aren't making projections 50 years into the future. This is happening now.

I completely understand that many of you are not comfortable with this happening and are trying to think of every reason you can that its not viable but it is viable and proven and happening as we speak.

Two years? I'll believe that when I see it.

Mr.Golden

Mmmm with this happening it will eventually get rid of owned operators and d.o.t.....this will have the big companies try to monopolize the highways

P

pickup

What makes you think the driverless truck will even leave the lot with an overweight load. These things will have more sensors than what is on rigs right now.
I don't believe this truck is a few years out.

2-3 years luxury. Cars drive on interstates
5 years lower end cars start to get it and luxury. Cars drive on city streets.
8-10 years rigs start driving on intrastate
12-15 rigs drive the entire way
15-30 rigs lose meat drivers

Btw autopilot can take off, fly and land planes

slightly less chance of an overweight because you are missing the 280 pound driver, the 20 pound lunch, the oversize radio/cb box, compressor for an air conditioner.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Wow, fellas. Everyone chill out. All aircraft have autopilot, radar and advance technology, but there's no way in hell, anyone lets them fly by themselves. Back away from bongzilla.

bbsam

Staff member
Driverless vehicles will not be operating on public roads at any point during our or our children's lifetimes.

I don't doubt that the technology might soon exist but we are a long way from the point where the general public would allow them.
I could see them out in areas where triples commonly run within the next decade.