Freightliner Just Revealed The First Real Road-Legal Autonomous Big Rig

jaker

trolling
Wow this this thread is getting mad max vibe

computer cars will only truly work when all cars are driving by them

alister

Wow this this thread is getting mad max vibe

computer cars will only truly work when all cars are driving by them
Moore's law says its going to happen before that. 2 to 4 years, your supposed to be able to buy luxury cars that will drive on intrastate style roads. They already have demonstrators doing it now. Audi had one drive from New York to San Francisco. Another company was taking journalists from Las Vegas to San Francisco.
The computers in these cars will be nothing like your computer at home or your smart phones. The computer at home is a mulit purpose device and is one of the main reasons why it errors more often. Your computer can play mp3 files and so does a dedicated mp3 player. Both are computers but how often do you see a well built dedicated mp3 player crash? The cars computer will be considered a safety device and I'm sure it will not fail that often and lots less than the average driver it's replacing.

At the start, the population will demand that a driver will demand that a real driver will be in the cab for safety reason. Eventually the pay for this driver will drop to McDonald's level or below to finally the public will see this as an entitlement job and demand that they are removed.

When a plane crashes, most of the people on the plane will die which be hundreds of people not including anyone unlucky on the ground. It will be on international news and be repeats for days and sometimes weeks. Car crashes rarely involve more than ten people. And the death rate is much lower. Often they don't even get mentioned on the local news. When they do, it's one or two broadcasts. They rarely get to national level and the most typical ones that currently do are the massive pileups on freeways caused by fog which I doubt will happen as often with driverless cares.

Browndriver5

Moore's law says its going to happen before that. 2 to 4 years, your supposed to be able to buy luxury cars that will drive on intrastate style roads. They already have demonstrators doing it now. Audi had one drive from New York to San Francisco. Another company was taking journalists from Las Vegas to San Francisco.
The computers in these cars will be nothing like your computer at home or your smart phones. The computer at home is a mulit purpose device and is one of the main reasons why it errors more often. Your computer can play mp3 files and so does a dedicated mp3 player. Both are computers but how often do you see a well built dedicated mp3 player crash? The cars computer will be considered a safety device and I'm sure it will not fail that often and lots less than the average driver it's replacing.

At the start, the population will demand that a driver will demand that a real driver will be in the cab for safety reason. Eventually the pay for this driver will drop to McDonald's level or below to finally the public will see this as an entitlement job and demand that they are removed.

When a plane crashes, most of the people on the plane will die which be hundreds of people not including anyone unlucky on the ground. It will be on international news and be repeats for days and sometimes weeks. Car crashes rarely involve more than ten people. And the death rate is much lower. Often they don't even get mentioned on the local news. When they do, it's one or two broadcasts. They rarely get to national level and the most typical ones that currently do are the massive pileups on freeways caused by fog which I doubt will happen as often with driverless cares.

The reason car accidents aren't publicized as often as plane crashes is because car accidents happen every second of the day.

rod

Retired 22 years
The reason car accidents aren't publicized as often as plane crashes is because car accidents happen every second of the day.

I guess that depends on where you live. In my little town every fender bender makes the paper. You can't get away with anything here. Every day a website posts a picture of everyone whos in jail and for what.

P

pickup

I remember when those silly Wright brothers flew that new fangled contraption of theirs in 1909. Real cute I said, but it was just a short flight in time and distance. What can be done with this? Fast forward 30 years later, Pan Am was now flying commercially across the Atlantic.

But that was then, sure, this new fangled contraption of Driverless vehicles is cute, edgy and novel but we won't see any more of them in the near future then we see of them now.

Yes, I am over 150 years of age in case anyone is wondering. The stories I could tell...

oldngray

nowhere special

Moore's Law worked for computers in the past but not any longer. Computers are running into physical barriers to how much they can improve. Just look at the hardware specs of computers which have hardly changed over the past several years. There won't be much more improvement until something like quantum computing becomes practical.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yeah it'll happen. 1 time for every billions of miles driven. Not enough for it to matter.

Also I said they have admitted city driving is still a hurdle for them. One they fully expect to leap over in the next two years. That's right 2 years. They aren't making projections 50 years into the future. This is happening now.

I completely understand that many of you are not comfortable with this happening and are trying to think of every reason you can that its not viable but it is viable and proven and happening as we speak.

In 2 years they will have the technology. Implemetation will still take decades.

alister

Moore's Law worked for computers in the past but not any longer. Computers are running into physical barriers to how much they can improve. Just look at the hardware specs of computers which have hardly changed over the past several years. There won't be much more improvement until something like quantum computing becomes practical.
Most experts believe we have 10 to 20 years left for Moores law. Something invented between now and then might extended it more. Devices are more limited to battery life now than in the past and this a bigger reason why devices have slowed down. Also, the average user just uses computer to browse the web, you don't need a fast computer for that. New computers are becoming more of an experience upgrade over actual hardware upgrade.

oldngray

nowhere special
Most experts believe we have 10 to 20 years left for Moores law. Something invented between now and then might extended it more. Devices are more limited to battery life now than in the past and this a bigger reason why devices have slowed down. Also, the average user just uses computer to browse the web, you don't need a fast computer for that. New computers are becoming more of an experience upgrade over actual hardware upgrade.

From an article written 3 years ago it said Moore's law was already breaking down then and predicted 10 more years.

The Collapse of Moore’s Law: Physicist Says It’s Already Happening
http://techland.time.com/2012/05/01/the-collapse-of-moores-law-physicist-says-its-already-happening/

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I remember reading 10-15 years ago that they thought the end was a year or two away then a giant leap happened. That's how these things work.

Look at the oil industry.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I agree. Planes have been flying themselves for over a decade.

They still have a $250,000/yr pilot in the cockpit plus a copilot and sometimes a flight engineer.
I haven't once said our jobs are in danger. Not for at least 20-30 years.

Passenger cars will be driving themselves long before we would be replaced however.

JL 0513

We have to ask ourselves how far we want to take such technology, since the largest sector of employment is transportation. That's a massive amount of displaced jobs. Point A to point B driving jobs would go first. Jobs like ours with 150 stops a day will require a corresponding android to accomplish the deliveries, not just a self driving truck.

Society can't stop the progression of technology for the sake of job pretection. It never has. But you have to wonder when the tipping point occurs when computers/machines/robots become so entrenched that there isn't much work left for humans. What will become of us?