Freightliner Just Revealed The First Real Road-Legal Autonomous Big Rig

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have to ask ourselves how far we want to take such technology, since the largest sector of employment is transportation. That's a massive amount of displaced jobs. Point A to point B driving jobs would go first. Jobs like ours with 150 stops a day will require a corresponding android to accomplish the deliveries, not just a self driving truck.

Society can't stop the progression of technology for the sake of job pretection. It never has. But you have to wonder when the tipping point occurs when computers/machines/robots become so entrenched that there isn't much work left for humans. What will become of us?
Yep. At some point everyone will basically be a computer programmer.

alister

I could see follow the leader type vehicle reducing the total workforce. You could have a lead car with driver and 5 to 10 follow vehicles behind with no drivers. The same could be done to package cars and the drivers would meet the the group on area saving the company to and from time for the other drivers

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I love the fact that if the auto car can't process information (computer crash) it hands the controls back to the human.

At the start, the population will demand that a driver will demand that a real driver will be in the cab for safety reason. Eventually the pay for this driver will drop to McDonald's level or below to finally the public will see this as an entitlement job and demand that they are removed.

You should ask yourself why they need a real driver in that cab at all. Safety? What do you mean? So in some circumstances the truck will hand the controls back to a real driver? A driver with trucking experience? You mean a driver who carries a CDL? And, if you say, the public demands that "entitled" driver be removed from the cab, why was he or she needed at all? It seems to me your argument falls apart when you say the public will view this backup driver as "entitled". Who views jobs that pay at McDonalds levels as entitlement jobs? Do you? I never eat fast foods, but if I did, I hardly think I would look at the people behind the counter as working at an entitlement job. And I definitely wouldn't view someone who was the safety valve for an 80,000 pound truck on public highways, as working an entitlement job.

We have to ask ourselves how far we want to take such technology, since the largest sector of employment is transportation. That's a massive amount of displaced jobs. Point A to point B driving jobs would go first. Jobs like ours with 150 stops a day will require a corresponding android to accomplish the deliveries, not just a self driving truck.

Society can't stop the progression of technology for the sake of job pretection. It never has. But you have to wonder when the tipping point occurs when computers/machines/robots become so entrenched that there isn't much work left for humans. What will become of us?

I mentioned this yesterday. Many laws will need to be changed in order to implement this. And laws that put a large, large number of Americans of out of work will have painful ramifications to those lawmakers writing those new laws. Painful enough that it might be tough, or impossible to get those laws passed.

And one final thing to Brownslave and other package car drivers thinking this only affects feeder drivers: even if this driving technology could be figured out and implemented, the same technology would apply equally to package cars. A computer could just as easily drive a package car as it could a tractor. Meaning, it would turn PC drivers into full-time, computer driver helpers. It would drive, and you would run off all of the packages. I don't think it would work anymore than it would for feeder drivers, but the idea is identical.

Brownslave688

And one final thing to Brownslave and other package car drivers thinking this only affects feeder drivers: even if this driving technology could be figured out and implemented, the same technology would apply equally to package cars. A computer could just as easily drive a package car as it could a tractor. Meaning, it would turn PC drivers into full-time, computer driver helpers. It would drive, and you would run off all of the packages. I don't think it would work anymore than it would for feeder drivers, but the idea is identical.

Package and feeder are much different as far as figuring this out. Pulling from point a to b is much easier than programming 100 time dependent stops in.

With that said what I bolded is what I have said in previous threads about this will happen. Sure we are talking 25-30 years down the road but for those just starting here it's something to thing about.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hypothetical scenario:

You are traveling at or under the 35 MPH speed limit and approaching an intersection with a fresh green light. The only pedestrian you can see is an alert-looking woman pushing a baby stroller who makes direct eye contact with you. Based upon the eye contact, you proceed through the intersection.

Replace that woman with a man wearing dark sunglasses and tapping the ground with a white cane. Or an obviously drunk man staggering towards the crosswalk. Or a child chasing a ball. Do you still proceed through the intersection? And how can a computer make the same distinctions that you just did?

oldngray

nowhere special
Hypothetical scenario:

You are traveling at or under the 35 MPH speed limit and approaching an intersection with a fresh green light. The only pedestrian you can see is an alert-looking woman pushing a baby stroller who makes direct eye contact with you. Based upon the eye contact, you proceed through the intersection.

Replace that woman with a man wearing dark sunglasses and tapping the ground with a white cane. Or an obviously drunk man staggering towards the crosswalk. Or a child chasing a ball. Do you still proceed through the intersection? And how can a computer make the same distinctions that you just did?

Didn't you know that people will get implanted with RFID chips so the computer will still know there is a blind guy on the corner?

soberups

Hypothetical scenario:

You are traveling down a tree-lined rural road at or under the 45 MPH speed limit when a dog darts out into the road directly in front of you. You realize that you cannot stop in time to avoid the dog without leaving the road and hitting a tree or swerving into the oncoming lane and hitting another car head on, so you make the correct decision to slow down as much as possible and run over the dog.

Now replace that dog with a child. Are you still making the correct decision by running it over, or does the value of that child's life demand that you avoid it by any means necessary, including swerving off the road and into a tree?

The answer to that question is obvious, of course....but how will a computer be able to distinguish between a dog and a child? And how will a computer be able to make split-second value judgements when deciding which course of action will be the lesser of two evils?

Brownslave688

Hypothetical scenario:

That's pretty simple really. Cameras radar lasers microchips imbedded in the road. All letting the car know the dangers ahead a half mile before you could even see the crosswalk.

soberups

That's pretty simple really. Cameras radar lasers microchips imbedded in the road. All letting the car know the dangers ahead a half mile before you could even see the crosswalk.
How do the cameras and lasers and microchips distinguish between an alert pedestrian who can properly yield the right of way versus a blind/distracted/drunk pedestrian who cant? Or will the driverless vehicle simply stop at every single intersection, regardless of whether it has the right of way or not? If so, the resulting traffic tie-ups will be a nightmare and the public will demand a solution.

Brownslave688

Hypothetical scenario:

You are traveling down a tree-lined rural road at or under the 45 MPH speed limit when a dog darts out into the road directly in front of you. You realize that you cannot stop in time to avoid the dog without leaving the road and hitting a tree or swerving into the oncoming lane and hitting another car head on, so you make the correct decision to slow down as much as possible and run over the dog.

Now replace that dog with a child. Are you still making the correct decision by running it over, or does the value of that child's life demand that you avoid it by any means necessary, including swerving off the road and into a tree?

The answer to that question is obvious, of course....but how will a computer be able to distinguish between a dog and a child? And how will a computer be able to make split-second value judgements when deciding which course of action will be the lesser of two evils?
A computer could easily distinguish between the two but this is where the problem lies.

As the Audi engineer pointed out. If you have two choices that inevitably end in disaster how do you program a computer to decide? And let's me honest deciding is not what they are worried about. Covering their ass and not getting sued is all they are worried about. That's why he said laws must be written.

oldngray

nowhere special
How do the cameras and lasers and microchips distinguish between an alert pedestrian who can properly yield the right of way versus a blind/distracted/drunk pedestrian who cant? Or will the driverless vehicle simply stop at every single intersection, regardless of whether it has the right of way or not? If so, the resulting traffic tie-ups will be a nightmare and the public will demand a solution.

Agreed. When confronted with all of the congestion and variables in city driving a computer would have a meltdown. It would be impossible for it to maintain a space cushion at all times. It might work for feeders on open roads but package cars are magnitudes more complicated and not going to happen in the near future.

alister

They claim they already detect people well. I assume they will adjust their path and or slow down. Adjusting path may include taking a different path to the destination if possible. When it knows kids are playing in the street. The cars will most likely talk to each other and will most likely. Tell other cars that it thinks it sees a drunk,blind person, and kida in an area and for other cars to be more careful

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...6c6fbc-d79b-11e3-95d3-3bcd77cd4e11_story.html

Brownslave688

The difference is you and I can't give that pedestrian our full attention or stare right at them. There are too many other things going on. A computer can equally and fully evaluate dozens of threats all at once. Meaning it's reaction will be virtually instananeous.