From Open shop/closed shop to orphans...

Not to throw this thread off the tracks but I`m curious. How many adopted orphans do you support with your "clean hands" paycheck. While I support your right to follow your beliefs I`m amazed at how few pro-life supporters actually show up to adopt the now un-aborted children.

A non issue. There is no shortage of parents looking to adopt babies in the US. The waiting list is so long, in fact, that parents are going to places like China and Russia in order to find babies to adopt. Even if every baby that is currently aborted were be carried to full term and put up for adoption, there would still be enough parents to meet the increased supply.

I`m not hear to attack some1else,I do support his right to follow his beliefs. But as to use that as the excuse to not join a union is making quite a stretch. The only thing I call into question with him/her is whether or not,while being devoutly anti-abortion,has the need/option ever touched them or their immediate family. Too many are stoutly one way or another from a third party aspect,it`s easy when it doesn`t touch you.

I can speak from a personal standpoint. Without going into great detail my wife and I found out in utero that our third child was going to be born with a disability. They sat us down at the hospital and gave us the results of all the tests,pointed out the statistical problems this child was going to have, and then gave us the options. One of those was to terminate the pregnancy,it was pointed out that roughly 85% of pregnancy's like ours were. My wife and I had already discussed this and knew our decision but even with the decision in our heads it`s impossible to describe the ton of bricks that hit you when it`s you they`re talking to rather than hearing about it on tv. Needless to say we had our son,albeit prematurely,and by what ever luck,grace,blessing you want to attribute it to he was perfectly healthy aside from his genetic disability.
Because he was premature he had to stay at the NICU unit at the University of Chicago for two weeks and while attending to our child we witnessed what true suffering is. Their are children their so horrifically disabled that they have no chance of survival without constant medical care. Every day will be spent with pain of some sort.
Now despite my personal feelings and what I have witnessed I still support the right to chose. What was right for me may not be right for someone else. And that is why I disagree with Some1else. If they are against someone having that right and demanding for these children to be born then they better be there after the birth to care for them.

A non issue. There is no shortage of parents looking to adopt babies in the US. The waiting list is so long, in fact, that parents are going to places like China and Russia in order to find babies to adopt. Even if every baby that is currently aborted were be carried to full term and put up for adoption, there would still be enough parents to meet the increased supply.
Then why are there still orphanages? Why do people need to go outside the USA to find children. Whats the matter, a African American child from Detroit not as fashionable as the one from Africa? And guess what,you don`t have to adopt one. You can more easily be a foster parent. Yet their still is a glut of unwanted children in this country. How many are you taking care of? Or are you just talking about what others can do?
My point was about Some1else` anti-union position based upon his anti-abortion stance.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have some questions about right to work states.
Are you represented by the teamsters in discipline cases if your not a dues payer?
Do you pay any dues at all if not a registered teamster?
How many of the non teamster members stood on the strike line in 97 or did they all cross?
Yes, you get representation, if you want to call it that. No, you don't pay any dues if you don't join. As to how many crossed during the strike, I can't answer that. But, I do know that we had Teamsters that did cross. After the strike they were fined (heavily) and removed from the roster. Some (at least 1 that I know of) has yet to this day pay the fine. 1 was admitted back to the union after our steward went to bat for the driver. Some were not union members at all.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Dill from my understanding in conversations that i have overheard, that they would not be entitled to their pension, not sure how true that is.

I know that local 710 here also fined people for crossing, im not sure if 705 had done the same, i was just starting to get to know the union then.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not real sure on that one Red. It makes sense though. You have to be vested at least 5 yrs to claim a pension and if you don't join you can't be vested.

I was told that 1 fine was 10k, from a source that would be in the know.

some1else

Therefore, by your own logic, UPS also has the "blood of the unborn" on its hands, and by working for UPS you are supporting abortion and will burn in the eternal hellfire.
i consider myself a net-loss for ups (my sups agree); so i am actually undermining their efforts by remaining an employee

I really hope that none of your female relatives or friends ever wind up being raped! Nothing like forcing a woman to relive that dreadful act over and over again when she has to look at that bastard child of hers.

this argument is petty and tired; why would you punish the child for the action of a rapist? i agree the rapist should be aborted- rather than put in prison for a couple years, "be healed", let out, and surely rape again.

i believe abortion is murder; and that there is currently a genocide/holocaust being perpetuated by planned parenthood and their allies against the black race. i will not be in any way complicit in it, and will fight it with all of my ability.

some1else

Then why are there still orphanages? Why do people need to go outside the USA to find children. Whats the matter, a African American child from Detroit not as fashionable as the one from Africa?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/07/AR2008110702807.html

>>· 521,400 survey respondents said they would adopt a black child. In fact, there were 41,591 black children in foster care waiting to be adopted -- or, 12.5 prospective parents for each waiting child.

nice dig but apparently the "blue-eyed devils" are willing to adopt black children. try to limit your responses to topics you are not completely ignorant of

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/07/AR2008110702807.html

>>· 521,400 survey respondents said they would adopt a black child. In fact, there were 41,591 black children in foster care waiting to be adopted -- or, 12.5 prospective parents for each waiting child.

nice dig but apparently the "blue-eyed devils" are willing to adopt black children. try to limit your responses to topics you are not completely ignorant of

It was not a dig against the "blue eyed devils" but rather to point out that there`s no need to go outside our borders to adopt a child. You`d be surprised at what I`m not completely ignorant of.

And? It points out there are plenty of "surveyed" people willing to adopt. How many are actually attempting? It points out that there are hurdles to jump. Just a cross to bear if you practice what you preach.

You never did say how many children,outside of your own if any,that your supporting.

tomuchdrama

No choice here, your teamster card gets filed out with your new hire paper work.
not true you do not have to join to work at ups.you can use the term[service fee payer only]this has come down from the highest court in washington.has been this way since about the early 1960s.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen

That is a complete and utter lie - shame on you.

You know why it is so - you sound knowledgeable. This thread has gone far enough away from topic, so I won't bring in race issues. Figure it out.

If you chose only companies to deal with that had no direct or indirect ties to pro-choice, you would have no companies to deal with.

I applaud your convictions, respect your opinions. But you cannot take the good & ignore the bad where you see fit & claim to be making a stand.

some1else

uhh so because i cannot completely limit my exposure you are saying that i should not limit it at all? I will not be forced to support abortion in exchange to be "allowed" by a union to work. that is completely ludicrous. that what title VII rights are all about.

btw it is much more complicated than white racism. many prospective adoptive parents want the child to be "passable" as their own, and many placement agents want the same for the welfare of the child. it can be traumatic for parent and child to have every social interaction be tinged by the fact that all participants are aware that the child is adopted.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
uhh so because i cannot completely limit my exposure you are saying that i should not limit it at all? I will not be forced to support abortion in exchange to be "allowed" by a union to work. that is completely ludicrous. that what title VII rights are all about.

Nope. I'm saying that, when your exposure is equal no matter who you choose to use/be employed with/whatever, you are no longer taking actions due to the actual issue.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
i consider myself a net-loss for ups (my sups agree); so i am actually undermining their efforts by remaining an employee

How convenient...you aren't worth a damn as a union member or an employee, but you see fit to continue your employment with a company who has in fact given financial support to the Democrats who you claim support abortion. Your willingness to take a stand on principles seems to be based more upon what is personally convenient to you.

Jesus despised hypocrites.

Last edited: