From Open shop/closed shop to orphans...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
tennessee and virginia both right to work (open shop)

bm, while i respect your views, the ability to force you into the union reduces the need of the union to offer something of value in return.

let them make themselves desireable enough to where the people WANT to join.

jmho

d

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
80+ a year to deliver boxes is reason enough for me. I don't understand why you can choose to not join the union but reap all the benefits of said union contract. If you choose not to join maybe you should be paid what the company deems appropriate and not what's in the contract. It's no coincidence that right to work states primarily in the south have much lower average wages that the mostly union northern states like Wisconsin.

upsdude

80+ a year to deliver boxes is reason enough for me. I don't understand why you can choose to not join the union but reap all the benefits of said union contract. If you choose not to join maybe you should be paid what the company deems appropriate and not what's in the contract. It's no coincidence that right to work states primarily in the south have much lower average wages that the mostly union northern states like Wisconsin.

Our cost of living down here in the south is quite nice.

I agree with Danny, make the union work for the members. I pay my dues every week, my choice. Membership should remain a choice, the same Constitution that gives a person the right to start/join a union, gives me the right to not join if I choose.

Persons working at a company being or attempting to be organized should also keep their right to a secret ballot. We send our military around the world to ensure fair and secret ballots, we shouldn’t allow intimidation on our soil.

MD Dan

This begs the question " would you be willing to forgo your union negotiated pay and benefits if you don't want to join the union?" How many people come to the union only when they find themselves in trouble with management? Union dues are a little like an investment and a little like insurance. Those drivers in RTW states that don't pay union dues are taking advantage of those drivers that do pay dues--but only until they need union representation.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Not exactly on target for this thread but...
Certainly not against higher wages and benefits but I have to point out the obvious that the union factories (i.e. - GM, Ford) in the Northern Union states (Rust Belt) are going out of business or close to it while the non-union factories (i.e. - Toyota, Nissan) in the South appear to be more stable.

Luckily for us, UPS is in a service industry that is not pressured by globalization in the same way that manufacturing is.

upsdude

I choose not to be a member of Sam's Club. Therefore I do not get the benefits of membership.

I’m not guaranteed a right to join or enter Sam’s Club.

Sam’s will allow me to enter and see what they offer. They will also allow me to make a purchase.

We’re not going to agree on this issue, and that’s OK. I still respect your opinion.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hoax toyota employees belong to the union, the problem with the other car makers has alot to do with their pensions set up. In order for these companies to continue they will need to sit down and re-negotiate those benefits.

softshoe

Not exactly on target for this thread but...
Certainly not against higher wages and benefits but I have to point out the obvious that the union factories (i.e. - GM, Ford) in the Northern Union states (Rust Belt) are going out of business or close to it while the non-union factories (i.e. - Toyota, Nissan) in the South appear to be more stable.

Luckily for us, UPS is in a service industry that is not pressured by globalization in the same way that manufacturing is.

Some would say that those companies fell on hard times because of bad management. One great example would be the excessive bonuses that are handed out to the executives of these companies.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax toyota employees belong to the union, the problem with the other car makers has alot to do with their pensions set up. In order for these companies to continue they will need to sit down and re-negotiate those benefits.

I agree, the crux of the issue at the Big 3 is their legacy pension plans.
However, no Toyota manufacturing plant in North America is unionized. I have investigated and find many newspaper articles saying this is the case.

BigBrownSanta

Ugly car designs where each model looks basically the same may have played a small part also, JMO.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When Toyota and Datsun were selling Corollas and B210's by the boat load the Big Three countered with the K-car, Citation and Chevette or my favorite the AMC Pacer. That's why we lost ground.