From Open shop/closed shop to orphans...

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
No - I just had to chime in when someone states the ludicrous such as "...btw the reason i wont join the union is that they spend alot of the money to support the DNC and therefore abortion. i would rather risk my job and represent my self or get private representation than financially support abortion and burn in the eternal hellfire...."

I mean, this guy should be in the Olympics or something, because that is one hell of a leap.

"...Yeah, I won't join the Union because they support United Way, and United Way wouldn't help me replace my Bass Boat back in the flood of '97...." Please...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I had no idea this would become a pro-life/pro-choice debate. HMMMM

It only became so because one poster justifies being a scab by self righteously claiming to do so in order to keep "the blood off his hands" and not pay union dues that *might* support a Democratic candidate that *might* support a woman's right to control her own body.

Someone who was truly a person of principle would simply choose not to work for an employer that, directly or indirectly, suported causes or candidates that conflicted with his beliefs.

There is a guy in my town who, as a protest against the Iraq war and US involvement in the Middle East, refuses to operate a car or buy gasoline. He walks or rides a bike everywhere, carrying a sign as he does so. It is not a choice I would make, but I admire him for standing firm on his principles and being willing to make extreme personal sacrifices in order to do so. This guy might be a bit over the top, but he sure as hell isnt a hypocrite.

some1else

Banned
Your willingness to take a stand on principles seems to be based more upon what is personally convenient to you.

convenient or actionable? i made a decision that i did not want a % of my union dues to be put towards abortion. so i didnt. likewise i was a member of the izaak walton league (a wildlife conservation/hunting group) until they sent a mailer saying they were supporting the un population program. i immediately withdrew my membership (dues non-refunded). i do what i can, what is actionable; like others said it is impossible to completely avoid complicity (unless you leave society) but i still try.

upsdude

It only became so because one poster justifies being a scab by self righteously claiming to do so in order to keep "the blood off his hands" and not pay union dues that *might* support a Democratic candidate that *might* support a woman's right to control her own body.

Someone who was truly a person of principle would simply choose not to work for an employer that, directly or indirectly, suported causes or candidates that conflicted with his beliefs.

There is a guy in my town who, as a protest against the Iraq war and US involvement in the Middle East, refuses to operate a car or buy gasoline. He walks or rides a bike everywhere, carrying a sign as he does so. It is not a choice I would make, but I admire him for standing firm on his principles and being willing to make extreme personal sacrifices in order to do so. This guy might be a bit over the top, but he sure as hell isnt a hypocrite.

So you only support union shops with union employees?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
convenient or actionable? i made a decision that i did not want a % of my union dues to be put towards abortion. so i didnt. likewise i was a member of the izaak walton league (a wildlife conservation/hunting group) until they sent a mailer saying they were supporting the un population program. i immediately withdrew my membership (dues non-refunded). i do what i can, what is actionable; like others said it is impossible to completely avoid complicity (unless you leave society) but i still try.

Read SoberUps post above. He says it better than I can reiterate.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This outta seriously piss off some1............. I'm pro-choice and not you nor anyone else is going to tell me what I can and cannot do when it comes to my body. You can go jump off a bridge.

some1else

Banned
using the logic you applied to me;

he buys groceries in a store transported there by truck buring diesel, therefor he is a hypocrite
stupid huh? the guy is doing what he can same as i am

If I withdrew from the union, would I not be bound by union rules? If this is the case, I would benefit tremendously by withdrawing.

some1else

Banned
you are under the same contract as union members; and part of that contract says they shall not enter into seperate contracts with specific employees. so yes you are bound by contractual rules.