Frustration: when 'customer A' is actually 'customer B'

fiddledee

customer do quirky things but they do pay the bills. Once you know how they want it delivered is it really that big a deal to go to A automatically?

barnyard

KTM rider
Once you know how they want it delivered is it really that big a deal to go to A automatically?

Reread the start of the thread. A cover driver comes on route is not going to have that knowledge. Regular guys doing things like that, makes it very hard for a cover guy to come in do the job by the methods and come off like a jerk because they do not have the area knowledge. (nice run on sentence, eh.)

fiddledee

Reread the start of the thread. A cover driver comes on route is not going to have that knowledge. Regular guys doing things like that, makes it very hard for a cover guy to come in do the job by the methods and come off like a jerk because they do not have the area knowledge. (nice run on sentence, eh.)

I think I understand the original point ok, i do agree its tougher for a cover driver to make the delivery. the quirks of the route is something that puts the cover driver at a disadvantage until that driver learns them. my post was more so referring to some of the responses on this thread which sound very anti-customer if not vindictive. Is that really how we want to respond to customers who have these little quirks or is it really our responsibility to adapt to their needs?

Indecisi0n

Covered a route the other day where a delivery to a car dealership had nothing but a name so I go where I normally go to parts/service. The women says well this doesn't go here. I showed her the address and asked if that was correct. She says yes but this person is upstairs and to the left and right blah blah (in totally different building). I kindly told the women at the desk that there is no way for me to know where a package goes by just a name and that I could leave it with her or return the package so they can address it properly. She took the package. Never had a problem since.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Covered a route the other day where a delivery to a car dealership had nothing but a name so I go where I normally go to parts/service. The women says well this doesn't go here. I showed her the address and asked if that was correct. She says yes but this person is upstairs and to the left and right blah blah (in totally different building). I kindly told the women at the desk that there is no way for me to know where a package goes by just a name and that I could leave it with her or return the package so they can address it properly. She took the package. Never had a problem since.

Similar situation I had recently for an oca.

Large medical facility with a pick up at the loading dock. Grabbed that & customer said oh I think this department had something too. Ok where's that?

Finally find my way through this maze of a building, only to be greeted by a puzzled look & no nothing for you, but try this department.

Ya, I don't think so. I don't have another 10 minutes to waste. Called my supe, told me to get the friend out of there.

Indecisi0n

Similar situation I had recently for an oca.

Large medical facility with a pick up at the loading dock. Grabbed that & customer said oh I think this department had something too. Ok where's that?

Finally find my way through this maze of a building, only to be greeted by a puzzled look & no nothing for you, but try this department.

Ya, I don't think so. I don't have another 10 minutes to waste. Called my supe, told me to get the friend out of there.

Yea I tell places like that they need to leave the pickups at the dock where I deliver. I can train people pretty good except for those lazy state workers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pharmacies within retail stores (Kinney's/Rite Aid/Walgreens/CVS) are notorious for demanding a separate pickup and refuse to leave any RS packages at receiving. I had a delivery for Kinney's last week---they had a RS and told me the pharmacy had one as well. I was running late and told the manager that I would come back later that day to make the Rx p/u. When I went back they told me that it had to go out that afternoon and had already been picked up. I didn't have the heart to tell them that their package wasn't going anywhere until around 8 that night.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Yea I tell places like that they need to leave the pickups at the dock where I deliver. I can train people pretty good except for those lazy state workers.
Funny you say lazy state workers.....it was a state place.

Yes, I try to train customers as best I can. I just cover the air routes in my building- don't want what I do to become a pita for the regular guys.

didyousheetit

Ive had to deal with this so much. I get this a lot at colleges. The problem was it was always after I had just delivered to that del point. It would also happen 2-3 times a week. I got fed up with it. Now its. "I'm sorry Sir I would love to help you but the package says its for you. If you are refusing to take it then it will be sent back to the shipper." I did that 5 times before I was confronted by someone. He wanted to know in his words " what is so hard about going back and giving it to them!?" I said I don't have time to deliver packages back and forth between you guys all day. Then wrote REFUSED in big letters on the package right in front of him. He excepted the package :-)
Put it back in his corner and ask him why is it too hard to get the address right the first time. Also he could contact the person, have them come get it. You know if it's not such a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using BrownCafe mobile app