FT Supervisors 12+ hr Days

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Even though your sentence is awkwardly worded, I think you misunderstand me. I wasn't concerned about you at all. I could care less if you don't have the stones to manage your own work-life balance. Supervisors today are just like union pukes - they want something for nothing. If you don't want to work the hours, don't expect the stock compensation. I just took exception to the union morons who said management sells their souls and are losers. I sold my soul to the DEVIL, not UPS, and I'm not a loser, sorry. I have a gorgeous, much-younger wife that I may still trade in for the newer model. I've got more money than you, and I earned it (Hoffa didn't give it to me because the man was keeping my lazy blue collar self down).

Awww feeling inadaquate are we? Had to bring in wife swapping to adhere to the puffer fish aura of arrogant UPS management....

I hear young, naive women enjoy the company of overpaid, self absorbed fools, so it all just works out well for you doesn't it!

browniehound

I've never said that once to a driver. I see them out there at friggin 8 o clock at night while I'm out grocery shopping or whatever and I think its ridiculous. It could be a real 8 or 9 hr a day job if UPS wanted it to be...(drivers that is) they just don't apparently. However, they'll complain up and down about drivers being over allowed which is crap seeing as none of the ones complaining could likely do it any better (if anything worse).

Westside,
That driver you saw was making 42 bucks an hour for his pain. I say pain because if he/she has young kids its pain, but think of our on-car sups going in earlier and leaving later with no overtime and missing his kids bedtime at 830? That is more pain. At least we are getting some good money!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
With that in mind, a manager should use the military approach: break them down and build them up! The success/failure of a supervisor is a direct reflection of the manager's character. Bottom line, TEACH!

Stepping down from the soapbox.

First, not soapbox, BURMD. Second, I'd never heard that description of the military's training approach. Personally, I think its a good one! My first supe at UPS approached training from that perspective. I really respected him. Yes....he is still with the company :happy2:. I told a relative that was going to work for UPS, "Your supe will chop you off at the knees, kick ya in the family jewels and when you're on your back begging for mercy, pull you back up." And that's exactly what happened. The relative is still employed by UPS.

Yes, the success/failure rate is a direct reflection of the manager's training. I'd expand that to hourly training, too, as far as the p/t supe training his workers. I worked for a restaurant in Denver for a while and I was tasked with training my new co-workers. I lost one guy in 4 months and that was because of bad papers. Training makes all the difference!

My first UPS dock took your hub's flow. D*mn....you guy's get a lot! -Rocky

browniehound

Abour a year ago I had an on car sup. from another center with me for the day doing a "practice" time study. It was very informal as he just completed a training course and was with me to learn the "handheld" used to record the elements.

I welcomed it because he wasn't there to criticize me and I enjoyed the company. So when we got to talking about jobs at UPS, he said for the money driving is the best job in the company.

I thought he might be blowing smoke, but the more I think about it he is right. Management is one path, but unless you are headed for division manager or above, we are better off staying as drivers.

Think about it. Yes, it physically does serious damage to our bodies and the job can stink. So I say this: what manual labor job doesn't stink?

How about these positives: 28 bucks an hour and 42 bucks for overtime,
and overtime every day/week (some people work 2nd jobs, we don't have to!).We are outdoors and constantly able to interact with the opposite sex, as we know, Women dig the uniform!

Best of all, we don't have our boss breathing down our neck all day. Once we leave the building and my airs are delivered I have very little stress in my day. Sometimes, especially Friday when my deliveries are done and its just pick-ups left, I really enjoy being out there.

atatbl

We have Harvard grads on here now checking spelling??

Wow... I was kidding.... either way, I would be willing to bet my home that it does not take an ivy-league education to know the difference between your and you're.

Regardless, I laughed at you insinuating that he is not intelligent, and doing it incorrectly.

Also, that guy is a prick.

Last edited:

upsgrunt

Um, excuse ME, but I was responding to Dragqueen69 or whoever who was moaning about management selling their souls. I was responding about my own lack of patience for union losers who whine about management all the time. Uh-oh! My supervisor looked at a package! I better grieve it! Oh no! I want the contract to apply to me only sometimes, when it works in my favor! I want paid for that minute more of work that someone with less seniority got! I want first pick of vacations! I want paid for my grievance on a sup who picked up a falled package that my awesome union brother threw on the floor! Oh, but wait: I want you to look the other way if I am constantly late or if I get into a collision! Oh, the Union is so awesome, look at how UPS THE COMPANY had to bail out the Central States Funds because the UNION BROKE THE OTHER CONTRIBUTING COMPANIES. Boohoo! I hate management because they got an education and made their own way instead of being a parasite union puke!

I will call you a troll because you make no real argumentative comments; only derogatory. A "real" manager would never do that and act like a 3 year old with the "I have more money than you and a hotter wife" comments.

Channahon

Everyone is afraid of him because he is a huge bully, but I'll take your advice to heart and see if I can be the first to stand up to him. I enjoy a challenge...

Just a bit of advice. Before you take on the controller, go though your operations management team and ask for a meeting with the District Employee Relations Manager, as you need to express your concerns.

If your concerns continue, ask to speak to your Division Manager, and District HR Manager. You see most HR Managers are people orientated and I have worked many over the years, that usually will express concerns to the District Manager, if need be.

As far as Controllers, don't bother, as the District HR Manager should take the 'bully" on, as they are the same level.

And then of course, if you are not comfortable with any of the above, call the Business Conduct line, and I assure you, the concern will be addressed, from the District and Region level.

You've been given some great advice, learn from it and you can make a change in your work related concerns.

Good Luck

W

westsideworma

Westside,
That driver you saw was making 42 bucks an hour for his pain. I say pain because if he/she has young kids its pain, but think of our on-car sups going in earlier and leaving later with no overtime and missing his kids bedtime at 830? That is more pain. At least we are getting some good money!

oh I know brownie, but like you said if he had kids (this particular driver did, he's a new father actually) its a pain. I know you guys are paid for your troubles. This company seems to tout its family oriented which is a bunch of crap. Keeping hourly employees and management out 12 hrs (or more for some) in my opinion is inexcusable. There is legitimate overtime and excessive, this company doesn't seem to differentiate between the two except when it comes to their bottom line, not the quality of life for their employees.

C

Confirmed Bachelor

In reponse to the family oriented bit, I am a single supervisor, and i am sick of seeing my co-workers going home before me just because of their kids games or plays or whatever. Spouses and children are great if you have them, but they should develop a system that lets people have flex time off for WHATEVER reason. I'd love to have a hobby or a life outside of here. I feel like i might have to have a kid just to have a good enough excuse.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Spouses and children are great if you have them, but they should develop a system that lets people have flex time off for WHATEVER reason. I'd love to have a hobby or a life outside of here. I feel like i might have to have a kid just to have a good enough excuse.

Spouses and kids are great if you have them. No doubt or arguement there. Nice to see a child's smile after a long day. No, I don't have a family but I'm 16 years older than my little brother. His big smile when I'd get home at 11:00 at night from UPS enslavement was always nice. Having a hobby and/or a life outside UPS isn't easy when you're full-time. I knew a full-time supe whom did have a life outside UPS. He came in at 2 in the afternoon, worked til 11 or so and was GONE. He had a wife, one or two kids and a happy, healthy life. He was the envy of many of his counterparts, some of whom had been married two or more times.

As far as having a kid without a woman around....careful there. I've voiced the same thought once or twice and while I haven't been shutdown outright, I have received cautions. I'm mulling it over. I probably wouldn't adopt a kid for 10 or more years. I want to be settled in my profession before I do anything like that. -Rocky

DS

Fenderbender
I will call you a troll because you make no real argumentative comments; only derogatory. A "real" manager would never do that and act like a 3 year old with the "I have more money than you and a hotter wife" comments.
He could be a troll,but he seems to know the inner workings of how ups runs.He may be a real manager 4 life,but he a'int goin far at ups with an attitude like that.His reluctance to join as a member has led to some pretty harsh words on this thread,and it goes a bit beyond the TOS agreement.I noticed Scratch deleted one of his recent posts,and I don't know what M4L said,but I trust that Scratch saved us all from his ability to raise everyones blood pressure.
I quit school half way through grade 9,but I used to read a lot,and I feel I'm as smart as anyone,but like ups,it don't mean 'nuthin unless you see it on paper.
Ok, time for some moderation,please,state your case without the name calling,I know its hard,that guy gets to me too.
Peace Out
DS

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I noticed Scratch deleted one of his recent posts,and I don't know what M4L said,but I trust that Scratch saved us all from his ability to raise everyones blood pressure.

I will delete anything that I see thats garbage. If someone can't behave, then they don't belong here. Its as simple as that.

upsgrunt

He could be a troll,but he seems to know the inner workings of how ups runs.He may be a real manager 4 life,but he a'int goin far at ups with an attitude like that.His reluctance to join as a member has led to some pretty harsh words on this thread,and it goes a bit beyond the TOS agreement.I noticed Scratch deleted one of his recent posts,and I don't know what M4L said,but I trust that Scratch saved us all from his ability to raise everyones blood pressure.
I quit school half way through grade 9,but I used to read a lot,and I feel I'm as smart as anyone,but like ups,it don't mean 'nuthin unless you see it on paper.
Ok, time for some moderation,please,state your case without the name calling,I know its hard,that guy gets to me too.
Peace Out
DS

Sorry DS if you are referring to me. For clarification purposes, is calling someone a troll considered name calling? I thought it was just a matter of opinion.
Steve

browniehound

Originally Posted by Manager4Life
" I want the contract to apply to me only sometimes, when it works in my favor! " This statement applies equally to management.:happy-very:

"I want first pick of vacations!" Shouldn't I if I'm at the top tof the seniority list?:smart:

"Oh, but wait: I want you to look the other way if I am constantly late or if I get into a collision!" Where I'm from the majority of union employees are early. We stand around waiting for airs or the preload to wrap. If we get into a collision, there is no looking the other way. Everybody in the center knows what happened.:wink2:

"Boohoo! I hate management because they got an education and made their own way instead of being a parasite union puke!"

Seriously, what is with the hostility? How did we all get lumped into "parasite union puke"? All of us are not as bad as you describe. I also know most managers are not as ignorant as you, but you are setting a fine example for your fellow bretheren.

I'm sorry I wasted this space replying to this post. Its obvious that Manager4life is a Troll looking for this type of attention. My Bad