FT Supervisors 12+ hr Days

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Enslavemet is involuntary.

I'm going to assume this was in response to my post. And yes, it was universally voluntary. I was never forced to stay. I wanted to leave a couple times but allowed myself to be talked out of it. No supe ever ordered me to stay beyond my release. Asked but never ordered. I'd remember that. The $$$ was certainly nice but was it worth it? Sometimes I wonder.... -Rocky

nobber

Young Warrior, My resume is as follows, Started in 1972 in a FT hub, transferred to FT preload, drove for 9 years, Put on a tie in 1985, on car supv, preload supv, business manager, relo'd my family twice, met Jim Casey, 3 corp assignments (2 six month stints and 1 was a year) 2 region assignments, gave presentation to Board of Directors in Greenwich and Atlanta. You want more?
I think I am well versed in the concern you are voicing.
It is not new and won't change untill you take control of your own life.
Have I ever worked 12-14 hrs? Yes Is it daily, weekly, monthly? Nope
I wouldn't stand for it.
I am assuming that you are on a PT preload, and your sort is somewhere around 4 hrs,
My FT PL supv comes in at 4:00am and leaves at 1:00pm.
I split the Paperwork between me and all my supv and OMS's, and I agree there is a ton of it and for the most part it just BS.
The same numbers on diff forms. Everyone needs answers that they can find in the same reports that I look at. I respond 1 time to a clerk in IE asking for things, I tell them where they can find it, they can fill out the form on thier own.
Granted it doesn't always work and am ordered by my Div Mgr to complete some and I have also been around long enough to know who I can push. But I also delegate to everyone in my building fairly, If its a preload issue, then its yours. Fix the problem and the paperwork will die down.
Hope this helps, sorry for the rambling

dragracer66

You know after reading all of this how do we know this wasn't the work of Diad lover causing a stir!!!! We have all seen his work before and he's actually quite clever!!!! LOL!!!!:happy-very:

12 Hoggin

RE: Nobber

Young Warrior...Yes...PT Sup...not so much....I am a FT Preload Sup...Looks like you have done your fair share to say the least NOBBER, thats a GOOD DEAL!!! I HAVE to be there 3 hrs minimum before the sort starts EVERYDAY, it has been like this even before I was a FT Sup, the expectations are HIGH at this HUB...On top of the emails, volume/staffing planning (which the IE dept is usually off on PKG Tools), there is TONS of paperwork that you have to prep for the PT Sups daily so they have all the information they need to be successful, I cannot delegate this to them do to the fact that the PT 5.5hrs a day is non contreversial, because I did that for a week and got my butt kicked for it, and the reason I was given was and I quote..."You think I am gonna pay OT to a PT Sup to come in, you're FREE!!!" So that is why my days are so long, the OMS's do the on-roads paperwork so that resource is tapped out...All in all I am glad to see as many posts as there have been...I know what is expected of me, I have alot of responsibility...It is what it is...FT Sup=long days and thats the way its gonna be once I get the opportunity to go further in this company. I was glad to see I wasn't the lone ranger on this subject though...

And I agree with HelenofCalifornia UPS Lifer NEEDS to come out of retirement!!!

T

two centz

I know everyone is just going to laugh but I am a 6 year employee 4 year pt local sort sup in an extended center that does decent volume averaging 3,700 pickup a night, small but I am the only sup on the sort no full time “ME” shift should be 5-10:30. And I just had to comment on that pt sups receive overtime. That’s a joke we get beat up over overtime I put in my comments one time in PTRS that “I was actually here until 3 am but I’m not allowed the overtime.” I am still with the company but the next couple of months after that comment were rough. And all of you out there know that local sort gets sh** on we get all of the work that preload doesn’t do and all of the work that the drivers don’t have time to do or don’t want to do. I work two jobs so my typical hours for a day are 14 to 18. I pray on a nightly basis to have one job and work provide to family what they deserve. And don’t take any of these comments to heart I respect drivers and ft sups alike your jobs are hard. But I think some times you all forget what we all have to go through I have a family like you. Be thankful for what you have I haven’t been with the company that long but I have seen it to many times you go full time and instantly you better than everyone. And yes I’m not a registered member so call me a coward. Just had to put my two cents in.

UPS Lifer

I will delete anything that I see thats garbage. If someone can't behave, then they don't belong here. Its as simple as that.

I try and be respectful of other's opinions but when it is obvious that a poster or troll decides to flame or show disrespect the gloves tend to come off. These folks tend to derail the thread and infuse negative energy in a thread that otherwise may not have had any. It is one thing to have a difference of opinion.

Differences of opinion can help to improve your level of knowledge of a particular topic or thread. With an open mind, you can learn so much from others and their point of view.

W

westsideworma

Um, excuse ME, but I was responding to Dragqueen69 or whoever who was moaning about management selling their souls. I was responding about my own lack of patience for union losers who whine about management all the time. Uh-oh! My supervisor looked at a package! I better grieve it! Oh no! I want the contract to apply to me only sometimes, when it works in my favor! I want paid for that minute more of work that someone with less seniority got! I want first pick of vacations! I want paid for my grievance on a sup who picked up a falled package that my awesome union brother threw on the floor! Oh, but wait: I want you to look the other way if I am constantly late or if I get into a collision! Oh, the Union is so awesome, look at how UPS THE COMPANY had to bail out the Central States Funds because the UNION BROKE THE OTHER CONTRIBUTING COMPANIES. Boohoo! I hate management because they got an education and made their own way instead of being a parasite union puke!

you know for someone with an education you make some pretty elementary mistakes. Don't group us all together as some are clearly better for the job than others (and I don't mean spelling-wise). I'm surprised anyone works at all for you. At my building, the hourly workers would have a field day with you and love every second of it. Also, in my center, many drivers do have a college education, but they see what that gets them in this company: even longer hours + more stress and no compensation for either.

You seem to have a serious inferiority complex going here with the way you criticize and put everyone else but yourself down. Might want to look into one of UPS' wellness plans.

UPS Lifer

How about some international input. .... So 12Hoggin don’t be afraid of damaging your promotion prospects if you don’t bring emotions in to your discussions you will be fine. We don’t have P/T Sups in the UK but we do have P/T and friend/T Team leaders, probably the same thing, make sure you use them, delegate but don’t abdicate, you 12Hoggin are responsible for the results of your workgroup but that doesn’t mean you have to do all the work!

Isn't it great that we can learn from our partners across the pond. Great advice!!!

Center planning mtgs if done properly can eliminate or minimize a lot of the challenges FT supervisors face. Your manager does play a big part in this. Put together a plan to get some "work/life" balance back, then STICK WITH THE PLAN!

Here is the rub... your manager has to support your plan and keep you on plan. The weekly planning mtg is the place to bring these challenges up and put together solutions to fix it.

My supervisors once told me that I kept throwing new things at them all day long and they could not get anything done! They told me how to make it all work! They were part of the solution process. It was hard for me in the beginning but I got much better and asked them to let me know when I was slipping back! It worked!!!

I suggest that you actually log your hours on the planner for all to see. Keep a weekly add-a-line with the hours so you can see what the trend is. Drop the add-a-line when it is fixed and you know it is fixed for good!

I know this adds a little time to your day but you can take it from somewhere else. This is what is going to help you show your boss that this stuff is out of control.

Again - stick to the plan - if it is your time to go home - you go home period! UPS will survive without you! Give it a shot!

I know it works because I used it.

I tried to keep this thought in the front of my mind. It is my people that make me successful and if I don't take care of them, they won't take care of me! Simple thought that can be very powerful!

M

Manager4Life

He could be a troll,but he seems to know the inner workings of how ups runs.. DS

Yeah, I'm not a troll. What do you want to know about my career with UPS? I started out as a part-time supervisor on the preload back a billion years ago. I saw the company go from paper to the current DIADs. I remember when people used to climb into totes and ride the conveyor system through the building with no repercussions (try even thinking that now and you'll get a red card). I went from part-time sup to full-time sup, to manager, and had a few special assignemnts too. I went to the SLS, MLS, etc. etc. Now I'm just waiting for retirement. My point is, I just don't like the union. They make us weak to the competition. I know the job is hard physically but it doesn't justify the wages and benefits we shell out. The Central States buyout? C'mon...why do we have to bail out that fund? IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, unions are destroying this country and are raising the wages so high for menial labor jobs that they are causing companies to fold. And when you tough union guys start ripping on management people, I see red. And when othermangement people start doing their little dance trying to seem like we can all get along, it makes me laugh.

hangin455

Where I worked as a preload sup we had a FT preload that startes at 11:30 PM. We had a presort every night at 10:30 and a post sort at 10:00 am. To be prepared with yesterday's results required me to go in at 10:30 PM. We were guaranteed a 12 hour day and if the air was late we could count on 15. Preload sup's are easily the most abused group of employees.

Fnix

raising the wages so high for menial labor jobs that they are causing companies to fold. And when you tough union guys start ripping on management people

You think $8.50 to start is alot for the work p/t's do? The start wage hasnt been changed in years. The drivers make DECENT money and I think they earn every dollar of it.

Treegrower

Yeah, I'm not a troll. What do you want to know about my career with UPS? I started out as a part-time supervisor on the preload back a billion years ago. I saw the company go from paper to the current DIADs. I remember when people used to climb into totes and ride the conveyor system through the building with no repercussions (try even thinking that now and you'll get a red card). I went from part-time sup to full-time sup, to manager, and had a few special assignemnts too. I went to the SLS, MLS, etc. etc. Now I'm just waiting for retirement. My point is, I just don't like the union. They make us weak to the competition. I know the job is hard physically but it doesn't justify the wages and benefits we shell out. The Central States buyout? C'mon...why do we have to bail out that fund? IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, unions are destroying this country and are raising the wages so high for menial labor jobs that they are causing companies to fold. And when you tough union guys start ripping on management people, I see red. And when othermangement people start doing their little dance trying to seem like we can all get along, it makes me laugh.

Go home and shave son.

DS

Fenderbender
IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, unions are destroying this country and are raising the wages so high for menial labor jobs that they are causing companies to fold. And when you tough union guys start ripping on management people, I see red. And when othermangement people start doing their little dance trying to seem like we can all get along, it makes me laugh.
M4L,thanks for being a little more civil with this post.
IMHO although the teamsters have never done antything to ever help me,I think they are a necessary evil.The way ups management is set up,with the ones at the top making impossible demands on the ones below them,and so on and so on,that the only ones that suffer are us drivers.Without the union they would have us working 16 hour days if they could make thier numbers look good.I disagree that the wages are high for us menial workers.As you said, its a hard job,and I truly believe that most drivers that put in thier letter,are either just sick of working hard every day,or thier body has degenerated over time and the pay cut that goes with the tie,is a better option than being a walmart greeter.

UPS Lifer

Manager4Life,

You, and your kind are the reason there are unions and the reason there is so much management bashing on this site!

You take your road and I will take mine. Let us hope our roads never cross!

HazMatMan

And I suppose all that money you are making you feel you earn??? Please!! Once again I call you a LOSER!!!!!
I am ready for any name calling you can dish out, it doesn't phase me dude.. Have a rotten day!! P.S. you say "why do WE have to bail out that fund?" like the money came out of your pocket, you are just a P- on who is running scared to get the job done and who is scared to lose his job if he screws up...How do you go to the bathroom with your butt-hole so tight from being scared???

Last edited: