Fuel All Over The Pavement

PE Pro

I have to check the fuel islands everyday, I am so sick of seeing diesel fuel all aver the pavement. When it is raining you can see it draining right into the storm drain.What's up with this? I thought UPS was supposed to protect the storm water runoff. Worse yet I hear that they don't even follow fuel drop methods. The tanker driver just drives in, drops the fuel and leaves, no UPS involvement, other than to give the guy the key. What's up with this? Is this legal? I don't want to turn green from drinking the water! More importantly, I don't want my great grandchildren turning green from drinking the water.:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At a minimum there should be a UPS employee present during fuel deliveries.

Storm drain water is treated before put back in to our drinking water so your kids will be just fine. Don't worry, I'm sure they will ingest much worse when they become teenagers.:wink2:

PE Pro

Storm drain water is treated before put back in to our drinking water so your kids will be just fine. Don't worry, I'm sure they will ingest much worse when they become teenagers.:wink2:
And you get your information from???? :confused:

over9five

Staff member
HERE, a UPS employee is present at the time of the fuel drop. I've seen it many times.

PE Pro, I'm glad you are concerned about this. Whenever we have any sort of fuel spill (even a small one), you just call dispatch and report it. Someone has to respond to clean it up. Be the one to make the call at your facility.

At CACH drivers no longer fuel their rigs. There are porters present at all times to fuel and be present for deliveries.

Want to put an end to any problems right away? Blow a call into the EPA.

rod

Retired 22 years
IF you check the area around any diesel pump at any gas station it will be covered with spilled fuel. Those last few drops of gas you dribble on the ground filling your gas burning car will soon evaporate but spilled diesel is more like oil ----it just keeps building up. Then you step in it while filling your vehical and track it into your car. Diesel is an all around dirty fuel -and where I live it is more expensive than gas. I wouldn't own a diesel powered vehical.

Johney

I know for a fact that the storm water collected here is treated before being put back in to our drinking water. This may not be the case where you live but it is here.
Around here that treated water is only used for irrigation. Not sure I'd like to be drinking treared waste water.

hudson

My first job at UPS was the Fuel and Oil Clerk. I would stand there while the fuel was pumped into the tanks. Someone should be doing this at every UPS facility.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

Storm water usually flows to the ocean through creeks, streams, then rivers. It's sewer water that is treated before you get to consume it again. Cruise ships have water treatment on board to recycle the waste water.

Policy is to have a certified fuel drop person present during all fuel drops. There are two reasons for this. 1- watch for spills. 2 -make sure you get the amount of fuel listed on the invoice. Without checking the inventory before and after the drop, you could easily get shorted thousands of gallons.

There is no federal law requiring a drop to be witnessed. Not sure about all the states, but the states surounding my area don't require it.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
My first job at UPS was the Fuel and Oil Clerk. I would stand there while the fuel was pumped into the tanks. Someone should be doing this at every UPS facility.

They probably used to lock the pumps and keep track of where the fuel went back then too. It's a different story now.

RustyPMcG

I spent more than a decade working for the Public Works department in a large metro area, including a longer stint in the sewer department than I care to admit.

There are three kinds of sewers: Sanitary, Storm, and Combined. Combined is what was the normal way of doing things until the middle of the last century. With combined sewers, everything goes to the sewer treatment plant before being discharged into waterways. The problem is, when it rains, the amount of flow is too great for the size of sewer treatment plant that taxpayers/rate payers can afford. The overflow either has to be held somewhere for later treatment, or it gets discharged directly into waterways.

Most big cities have had some kind of "deep tunnel" project over the last 30 years or so. Those deep tunnels are essentially storage tanks. As expensive as they are, they're less expensive than a bigger treatment plant, and way less expensive than seperating the sewers.

If you're in an area with seperate sewers (essentially any area developed in the last 50 years or so), what goes into the storm sewers doesn't go to a treatment plant. It goes directly into waterways. It is very important that nothing but storm water goes into these sewers. And it's also important that storm water not go into the sanitary sewers or else the treatment plant will be overwhelmed, and there usually isn't much in the line of storage.

So if there are combined sewers in the area of these pumps, the fuel is just friend-ing-up the treatment system. If there are seperate sewers, the fuel is friend-ing-up the waterway that the storm sewers empty into. Either way, if something isn't done, either the Feds or the state will have a fit once they discover the problem.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
IF you check the area around any diesel pump at any gas station it will be covered with spilled fuel. Those last few drops of gas you dribble on the ground filling your gas burning car will soon evaporate but spilled diesel is more like oil ----it just keeps building up. Then you step in it while filling your vehical and track it into your car. Diesel is an all around dirty fuel -and where I live it is more expensive than gas. I wouldn't own a diesel powered vehical.

When gasoline evaporates, it doesnt just vanish. It pollutes the air that you are breathing with toxic, cancer causing chemicals. Diesel only looks dirtier because it does not evaporate as easily as gasoline.

As far as cost is concern, diesel is actually cheaper than gasoline when you factor in the increased mileage of a diesel vs. gas engine. There are more BTU's of energy in a gallon of diesel fuel than there are in a gallon of gasoline, and a diesel engine is far more efficient and converting those BTU's into forward motion of the vehicle.

I absolutely love my diesel 2006 VW Jetta TDI. It gets over 40 MPG on locally-produced, non-toxic, renewable biodiesel.

rod

Retired 22 years
When gasoline evaporates, it doesnt just vanish. It pollutes the air that you are breathing with toxic, cancer causing chemicals. Diesel only looks dirtier because it does not evaporate as easily as gasoline.

As far as cost is concern, diesel is actually cheaper than gasoline when you factor in the increased mileage of a diesel vs. gas engine. There are more BTU's of energy in a gallon of diesel fuel than there are in a gallon of gasoline, and a diesel engine is far more efficient and converting those BTU's into forward motion of the vehicle.

I absolutely love my diesel 2006 VW Jetta TDI. It gets over 40 MPG on locally-produced, non-toxic, renewable biodiesel.

I hate diesels and VW's both:happy2: Worst money pit of a car I ever owned was a 2000 VW Passat that I bought new. Farfegneugen

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Nice to see two very informative and non-controversial posts in a row! Edit : (Actually meant the posts a few posts ago, but i havn't figured out how to delete a post)