fuel management

feeder53

ADKtrails
Maybe now with the price if fuel they are going to use those captured stats. We here have a small unit that attaches to the fuel line and can send data back to a computer that tells how much fuel is being used. At TNT Red Star Express, and Montgomery Wards, they had a computer in the truck and it would give them info on how and when you shifted, RPMs and they would call you in if there was an issue with abuse or high consumtion.

UPSmeoff, are they switching cars within the center, or are they bringing in older cars from other areas? If I understand you right, the routes closest to the center get the junk cars and the extended ones get the newer ones, right?

UPSmeoff

UPSmeoff, are they switching cars within the center, or are they bringing in older cars from other areas? If I understand you right, the routes closest to the center get the junk cars and the extended ones get the newer ones, right?

Yes, they are switching cars within the center. Of course the rural routes will have a newer car. I drive probably 30 or 40 miles less on average than everyone else, that is the justification. We only have a handful of old high step hard to turn gassers. Most of them are used to run bulk stops.
90% of my center will not be affected like me. They will lose their car, but will be switched with a very similar one. I am but a few that will go from a good car to a junker.

browniehound

They should ALL be new cars! Seriously, there is no other company on the face of this earth driving these pieces of crap.

Reasons for replacing the fleet: improves fuel economy, saves in workers comp. claims from drivers, makes us more efficient, and gives us a better image when compared to the competition.

Reasons for keeping the old truck as long as possible: saves money in the short term with the intent to increase profits.

I'm just thinking that not replacing the old cars will erode profits rather than boost them. What do you think? If someone has first-hand knowledge of the numbers, I'd love to hear them, which ever way they lean to.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Reasons for keeping the old truck as long as possible: saves money in the short term with the intent to increase profits.
If you provide a modern, ergonomically suitable vehicle, you extend the career of the driver....which is the LAST thing UPS wants.
The advantage to keeping the deathtraps on the road is twofold...you save money in the short term, and more importantly you can force older employees into earlier retirement, thereby allowing you to replace them with a new hire who start at $10 an hour less, who are stuck in progression for 2 years, and who only get 2 weeks per year of vacation instead of 6. The cost savings realized by getting an older driver off the payroll are HUGE.
The only reason we arent ALL still in P600's is that (a) the '97 contract requires power steering in all new equipment and (b) UPS needed to reduce its exposure to the prospect of lawsuits over ergonomics issues, which became popular in the 90's.

currahee

I have a 1985 p1000 with no xtras. No power steering, the extra high step.While i will say the pkg car runs like a champ i wish they would get rid of these ones. I mean whoever designed it had no concept of the job. Stepping up first 18 to 24 inches 250 times a day is murder on the knees. My left shoulder is killing me from steering the pkg car. My left knee is garbage from stomping on clutch 1000's times a day.My right shoulder is hurt because reaching for the hand rail which is out of my power zone.
The company bitches about injuries well i just listed 3 that can be avoided by updating our fleet.
Sorrry to hijack the thread.

New Englander

If you provide a modern, ergonomically suitable vehicle, you extend the career of the driver....which is the LAST thing UPS wants.
The advantage to keeping the deathtraps on the road is twofold...you save money in the short term, and more importantly you can force older employees into earlier retirement, thereby allowing you to replace them with a new hire who start at $10 an hour less, who are stuck in progression for 2 years, and who only get 2 weeks per year of vacation instead of 6. The cost savings realized by getting an older driver off the payroll are HUGE.
The only reason we arent ALL still in P600's is that (a) the '97 contract requires power steering in all new equipment and (b) UPS needed to reduce its exposure to the prospect of lawsuits over ergonomics issues, which became popular in the 90's.

I don't think your entirely correct. I fully believe UPS DOES want career drivers with time in.

I'm sure a much higher percentage of new drivers miss deliver, deliver damaged, get negative follow ups on those missed deliveries and relatively do a much worse job in terms of quality.

With UPS generally being more expensive to ship, UPS wants its customers getting to know their driver.

It's not a win win situation for them and I'm sure they are well aware of it.

For what my opinion is worth, I whole heartedly agree with you Currahee. I once alluded to the hand rail height in another thread here and was kidded about being a "short person", which is fine I can take a little ribbing. But that doesn't change the fact that our older trucks are ill designed for the people that use them. I fully believe that the problem I had with my left shoulder was contributed to by the hand rail height/power zone thing. So far my knees are not that bad, but I could just be lucky on that.