Full timers (previous part-timers) back to the HUB

D

dannyboy

IF you were going to hire someone for a job and had two people that seemed good for the position. One was an employee that has worked for you for many years. Knows and has done it all. Hell, you cant even tell him anything, he knows it all. The other is fresh from getting his education. Has a lot of knowledge and willing to learn how to put it into practice in a practical job. You will have to mold him into what you want him to be, but he is a quick learner. And he doesnt have the I know how to do it better attitude to over come.

Now let me see, which one would I hire.........
I give up, the guy with no work experience, but a good education!

d

U

upslocal480

That scenario you speak of isn't always the case. You make it sound like that everyone with experience at UPS is like that (can't tell them anything) but I totally agree that there are plenty of them out there. You also have to consider that not everyone can, or will have the opportunity, to get an education and shouldn't be left out because of that. I think individual merrit can be proven in many other ways other than being able to complete a degree. Actually, in my opinion, ANYONE can make it through college if they really want to and if they have the opportunity. But then again...ANYONE can make it in a management job at UPS if they really want to and that is my point. My other point is that experience shouldn't be discarded when a person with a degree is involved. If that were the case in all promotion situations then we'd have allot of "smart" but non-experienced people running this company. If a promotion were between two people with the exact experiences but one had a degree I am pretty sure I'd probably pick the one with the degree but ONLY after I exhaust other ways of trying to figure out who is more qualified.

D

dannyboy

I thought we did have a bunch of smart but inexperienced management
biggrin.gif

You made the statement that "not every one can or will have the oppertunity" to futher their education. Then you state that you think that "anyone" can make it to college if they have the desire and oppertunity. HEll you sound like my wife, make up your mind!
lol.gif

I believe that IF you want something bad enough, you will grab the oppertunity and MAKE it happen. If you are waiting for someone to hand you the better things in life, it just aint gonna happen. I had a delivery sup that took nite classes, and when they uped his shift to latter in the night, his wife took the classes for him. Was it easy, no, was it worth it, probably.

People have all sorts of excuses for failure. Failure happens all by itself. Success is made, and it is not easy. If it was, then every body would be successful. And a continuing education is not a guarantee, but it will never keep you back as much as the lack of it.

Just my not so humble ramblings

d

U

upslocal480

"You made the statement that "not every one can or will have the oppertunity" to futher their education. Then you state that you think that "anyone" can make it to college if they have the desire and oppertunity. HEll you sound like my wife, make up your mind!"

I stand by those comments but maybe I should clarify what I meant. I think ANYONE is capable of getting a degree but not everyone will be able to. Yes some will use whatever excuses they can think of and not try but there are allot of people that actually won't be able to for many reasons. Oh and you were so right about your first comment...

"I thought we did have a bunch of smart but inexperienced management"
but I must also ad to that, that there are also a bunch of dumb but very experienced management at UPS.
biggrin.gif

Also some dumb and unexperienced and smart and experienced.

D

dammor

Given a choice, I would much rather work for a manager who has a UPS degree. They don't teach that in school. Last thing we need is another numbers person.

U

upslocal480

"Given a choice, I would much rather work for a manager who has a UPS degree. They don't teach that in school. Last thing we need is another numbers person."

I would rather work for a manager that has experience doing the jobs that me and the people I work with are doing. Those types of managers seem to be able to solve problems better and seem to have a better understanding of any situations that come up. Well, all the ones I've ever worked for were like that. If there was the theoretical "UPS Degree" it would definitely require experience or at least and internship to go along with it so I'm all for that. All the managers that I've ever had with no experience but with a degree were the ones that were number crunchers because that's basically all they were taught. Of course it is very possible for someone to come in off the street with a degree and adapt quickly to a management job at UPS but I suppose that goes for any other company in general.

D

dannyboy

I started with a guy by the name of Randy. Ex football jock. Thought he was great, but in his own mind.

He went into delivery, then management. He was NOT a people person. Anyway, he was a real failure as a sup, so he went into BD. SOme customers kinda liked him, but most thought he was a pompous ass. And now he works in Atlanta in the corp offices there. I just know he is behind some of the really hairbrained ideas that come down the pike.

Any way, I really dont care where they come from. A rotten person is a rotten person, no matter what school they go to, Harvard, Yale, MIT, or hard knocks. There are many that UPS has that should have never gotten into management. Just cause your a great driver, dont mean you will be worth a flip as a sup.

d