Funny DVIRS?

rod

Retired 22 years
A few years back all the trucks in our loop were being serviced one after another and we had the same old 10 cube being passed around to each of us. Now being the middle of winter (in Minnesota) it was quite cold and this POS would not heat up....at all.

First guy writes it up "No Heat".
Mechanic: "Checked heater. OK for service."

Next day I had it. Of course I froze my butt off for the day and wrote it up.

Me: "Heater blowing cold air, even after long drive."
Mechanic: "Checked heater. OK for service.

Next guy in my loop gets it on the coldest day of the week. When he got in he looked mighty cold. Wouldn't stop bitching about it.

Him: "Heater broken, will not get warm. Nothing but cold air."
Mechanic: "Walk faster"

Still the funniest comment I've ever seen from a mechanic. The vehicle heater did work...inside the building where it was 50 degrees.

Did anyone try blocking the radiator with cardboard?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Some diesels never do get up to temperature in the Winter and there's not much you can do about it apart from not turning them off and maybe some cardboard over front.

Gear

Parts on Order
I kind of agree, but it does not matter where you write it up on the DVIR. You still need to sign off on it whether it is on the safety line or not.

What a driver may consider safety related and what you consider safety related are probably two different things.

Just write it up on the DVIR, whether it is on the safety line or not, and the mechanic will either repair it or sign off saying OK to run, repairs will be scheduled.

They can actually eliminate the safety and non safety lines and just have one category. It is UPS policy that any write up, safety or not, needs to be signed off by a mechanic. It is the mechanics job to determine if it is safety related and needs to be fixed now or if it is non safety related and can wait a day or two.

Signed or not, the truck goes out. Assuming its able to run. Example of this are, driver forgot to turn in yellow slip. Next day, truck is loaded and ready to go, he takes it anyway. Trucks written up on saturdays. Mechanics start monday evening. So there is no one to check and repair write ups from saturday for monday morning. All trucks go out on monday morning.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Signed or not, the truck goes out. Assuming its able to run. Example of this are, driver forgot to turn in yellow slip. Next day, truck is loaded and ready to go, he takes it anyway. Trucks written up on saturdays. Mechanics start monday evening. So there is no one to check and repair write ups from saturday for monday morning. All trucks go out on monday morning.

Is this your call or your bosses.

I believe you may have just got the attention of the FMCSA. Not good.

49 CFR

Part 396
INSPECTION, REPAIR, AND MAINTENANCE

§ 396.11: Driver vehicle inspection report(s).

(3) Corrective action. (i) Prior to requiring or permitting a driver to operate a vehicle, every motor carrier or its agent shall repair any defect or deficiency listed on the driver vehicle inspection report which would be likely to affect the safety of operation of the vehicle.

(ii) Every motor carrier or its agent shall certify on the original driver vehicle inspection report which lists any defect or deficiency that the defect or deficiency has been repaired or that repair is unnecessary before the vehicle is operated again.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
There corrected.

I don't make the rules, or laws. But I am expected to follow them.

I am honestly surprised that UPS is OK with sending vehicles on the road that have write-ups from the previous driver and are not signed off by a mecbanic.

I know UPS believes they are special and above the law, but it is not a good idea to mess with the FMCSA.

UPS will lose that battle.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I thought the checkoff for the "I have read the above...." was supposed to stop the vehicle from going out with a safety issue if the mechanic had not been able to respond yet.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought the checkoff for the "I have read the above...." was supposed to stop the vehicle from going out if the mechanic had not been able to respond yet.

It had better be a serious safety defect for them to spend the time to transfer all of the packages from a fully loaded package car to another once the driver discovers that the write up(s) had not been addressed.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The point being that there should have been some sort of response , whether it was corrected or red tagged before it ever got loaded up for the next work day.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Mechanic had told me in advance that he planned on replacing the engine and transmission in my truck while I was on vacation.

As an inside joke, I wrote replace engine and transmission in the book on Friday before vacation.

Afterward, whenever I heard a driver complaining that small repairs were not being addressed, I would show them that page in the book and say "All you gotta do is write it up."

Gear

Parts on Order
Is this your call or your bosses.

I believe you may have just got the attention of the FMCSA. Not good.

49 CFR

Part 396
INSPECTION, REPAIR, AND MAINTENANCE

§ 396.11: Driver vehicle inspection report(s).

(3) Corrective action. (i) Prior to requiring or permitting a driver to operate a vehicle, every motor carrier or its agent shall repair any defect or deficiency listed on the driver vehicle inspection report which would be likely to affect the safety of operation of the vehicle.

(ii) Every motor carrier or its agent shall certify on the original driver vehicle inspection report which lists any defect or deficiency that the defect or deficiency has been repaired or that repair is unnecessary before the vehicle is operated again.

It has nothing to do with me. I dont know who makes the call, it just happens. I would assume they are aware of the problem for saturdays. There isnt anyone to check write ups until monday evening.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It has nothing to do with me. I dont know who makes the call, it just happens. I would assume they are aware of the problem for saturdays. There isnt anyone to check write ups until monday evening.

UPS makes the call. I just find it hard to believe that UPS blatantly violates federal law.

I am sure the FMCSA would love to hear from any driver that is instructed by UPS to drive a vehicle that has a write-up on it from a previous driver that is not signed off by a mechanic.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS makes the call. I just find it hard to believe that UPS blatantly violates federal law.

I am sure the FMCSA would love to hear from any driver that is instructed by UPS to drive a vehicle that has a write-up on it from a previous driver that is not signed off by a mechanic.

It is not uncommon for pkg cars written up for a non safety related issue on a Friday night to be in the lineup on Monday morning.

Gear

Parts on Order
A driver stepped in dog poop and tracked it through his vehicle. He came back in and asked the car washer to clean it up. The fact that he tracked in the vehicle shows he didnt even try to rub some off in the grass. What a :censored2:bag. How do you become that guy? He has to be in his mid 40s. A grown man asking another grown man to clean up his dog poop mess, what a joke. He's one of those guys who thinks because he's been here for 20+ years everyone owes him. The car washer didnt clean it up. I hope he writes it up today, Im going to red tag it until peak and give him the turd of the fleet.