Gap Reports

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
the GAP tool is pretty useful, and pretty much the best tool we have to gauge performance, because you can't fool it.

That's why a lot of people hate it. The GPS feature in our Powerpads made them hate it more.

Now as for GAP reports being put in boxes daily, that's just a manager being told what to do, if they want answers they need to sit with the driver at the computer and discuss.

Some managers want couriers to see a snapshot of their daily performance.

Star B

White Lightening
Take a swing position if you don't want to see a gap report
I haven't seen a gap report since I was a swing!
Nope, even I, as a swing swinging in the wind (aka not filling in for the same route for a month), have been seeing them.

I view "Gap Reports in your box for ANY percent under 100%" as harassment and unsafe work practices. Why? Get Joe NewCourierNoBalls. He starts getting daily gap reports and he's doing the best he can. What is he going to do? He's probably going to start taking shortcuts. Running, improper lifting, speeding.. you name it. He doesn't know how to improve his route because he can't control the exterior forces at work. Namely... traffic. Even the experienced couriers get caught by traffic or an unknown force. Maybe they want to take a couple extra minutes to talk to a customer about more business. Maybe someones pissed off that ground sucks. Maybe the courier had the :censored2:s that day after some bad KFC... who knows?

Having said that... I have no problems with management pulling a route courier aside and going "hey, you ran 90-95% all week last week... what gives?" Don't bust my balls for one day out of a week of over 100% service unless that one day was totally in the :censored2:ter... but then you'd probably know why cuz I'd have told you.

Nolimitz

LOL here is how friend'ed up gap reports are. Friday I ran 86%. Monday same rte with 3 less stops, I kid you not 256%. Only difference is Mon I took a 30 min brk and on Fri I took 45 mins. Plz this program is total BS. I do different rtes on Wed and Thurs as a wheel.

McFeely

Huge Member
My route in SRA mode I was running 120%. Same number of stops in a bigger area using DRA put me at 89%. I just handed my gap report right back to the manager and told him his data was useless and invited him on a checkride. Haven't had a checkride in almost 4 years.

59 Dano

I view "Gap Reports in your box for ANY percent under 100%" as harassment and unsafe work practices. Why? Get Joe NewCourierNoBalls. He starts getting daily gap reports and he's doing the best he can. What is he going to do? He's probably going to start taking shortcuts. Running, improper lifting, speeding.. you name it.

"Oh, we better not say anything to the new guy! Might cause him to go off the rails!"

Star B

White Lightening
"Oh, we better not say anything to the new guy! Might cause him to go off the rails!"
There's "saying something to the new guy" and "harassing the new guy". You seem to be the smart type, I'm sure you can figure out what I mean by that. Stuffing mailboxes full of GAP reports isn't just "letting you know"... especially if your station is one of those that still posts everyones performance from the previous day.

Bingo

Actually the Gap report is ok for delivery drivers but has a flaw for pick up drivers. When you do a drop box , the time on your gap report shows the very last package you scanned. This now makes a artificially large gap . As regular pickups show the time you scanned your first pk. I once had a manager who always circled the gap between a reg pick up and a drop box.

59 Dano

There's "saying something to the new guy" and "harassing the new guy". You seem to be the smart type, I'm sure you can figure out what I mean by that. Stuffing mailboxes full of GAP reports isn't just "letting you know"... especially if your station is one of those that still posts everyones performance from the previous day.

If someone feels harassed with a record of his own performance, well, I guess we can sit around and wait for him to figure it out.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If someone feels harassed with a record of his own performance, well, I guess we can sit around and wait for him to figure it out.
The point, for me at least, isn't the 'snapshot' of my day. It's being asked to justify exceeding an arbitrary 'gap' on a regular basis. If my route were identical each day, then I could see its purpose. There are too many variables impacting the results, and being asked to justify them regularly becomes harassment, especially since I exceed my goal nearly every day.

Schweddy

Balls
It's like a reaction you'd get from someone who lived out in the sticks when they saw TV for the first time.

That's incredibly judgmental of folks that (likely prefer to) live away from town. And it has nothing to do with the fact that management makes no attempt to investigate what might have caused "bad numbers".

Gaps and efficiency have been beaten to death before but this is interesting that you still have no solid response to this. So do higher ups tell you to plug in numbers and provide useless info to couriers or is it something that all ops managers coincidentally do?

You're the type of person that likes to control (or manipulate) what is known, whether true or half-true or not at all. Seems like a common theme for Fedex management. Like I said, mind games.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
That's incredibly judgmental of folks that (likely prefer to) live away from town. And it has nothing to do with the fact that management makes no attempt to investigate what might have caused "bad numbers".

Gaps and efficiency have been beaten to death before but this is interesting that you still have no solid response to this. So do higher ups tell you to plug in numbers and provide useless info to couriers or is it something that all ops managers coincidentally do?

You're the type of person that likes to control (or manipulate) what is known, whether true or half-true or not at all. Seems like a common theme for Fedex management. Like I said, mind games.
Incidentally, I was told by my manager that they were tasked (from above) with reviewing gap reports every morning before sort, in order to insert shuttle codes into time cards when gaps appeared. Not sure, but where I come from, that sure sounds like falsification.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Incidentally, I was told by my manager that they were tasked (from above) with reviewing gap reports every morning before sort, in order to insert shuttle codes into time cards when gaps appeared. Not sure, but where I come from, that sure sounds like falsification.
Definitely falsification. As long as my hours are right though, I could not care less what codes they want to add to my timecard. Now if they add codes to take away money from me, we have a HUGE problem. If it really bothers you, call the Ethics Hotline. That would be interesting.

whenIgetthere

Definitely falsification. As long as my hours are right though, I could not care less what codes they want to add to my timecard. Now if they add codes to take away money from me, we have a HUGE problem. If it really bothers you, call the Ethics Hotline. That would be interesting.

That's how we keep winning station of the month so much! LOL

Schweddy

Balls
Best shuttle of the year!!

Yeah if that's the case, how can they actually tell people to speed it up? Hey Dano, how do you sleep at night ;p