Garbo Loaders

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I’ve gotten upset about this too. Not because they asked me but because they’d have like other people walk by and say nothing and kind of only target me to help. I would help every chance you get to build goodwill so that someday when you need help you can get it. In the end, it doesn’t really matter if he gets help or not but if you’re asked by a sup , you should listen.

Goodwill doesn't exist at UPS. They just take and take, and when you need something it's always "what have you done for me lately?"

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Greta Garbo

Marlene_Dietrich.jpg

J

jibbs

I'm a Pre-loader in the morning and I just load the package cars. If my four trucks are fine at the end of the shift, meaning everything is loaded properly. Am I forced to help an incompetent loader if my Belt Supervisors asks me to or can I just say :censored2: off and leave? (The other loader has more packages outside his trucks than inside it, and I do roughly 200-300 more packages, so you know sneezy is hella :censored2:ing tight).

good yard,

sneeze

Essential rule of thumb is to work as directed. You can try and talk sense to the supe' about you having to do other people's jobs, but it almost certainly will fall on deaf ears.

It's best to just focus on your pull and, when you're done, if you're asked to help others then just shuffle on over and help finish. If you've still got work on the belt/line, though, make sure to point that out and ask who's going to cover you while you're helping whoever they ask you to help. Still go over and work as directed, just make it clear that they're going to move a problem from one pull to another if they send you to help without filling the gap left behind. And don't be a dick about it! Just keep your tone and approach casual, like you're all ready to help but you want to make sure your job's covered as well.

You are a UPS employee. Not an employee hired to do XYZ and XYZ only. If there is work to be done at UPS you as a UPS employee do that work.

Besides, what if your incompetent ass needs help at end of shift one day?

That kind of logic makes me think the drivers'd start helping with the sort when they show up instead of sitting around havin' pissing contests over who had the highest stop/piece count or miles the day before. I mean, we're all UPS employees here-- it's not like we have specific responsibilities or anything, we're simply indentured to the company and at the mercy of their every direction.

And then the feeders, man, how come they don't do anything after they drop off their loads? I mean, they're UPS employees so they should probably pitch in too, and don't even get me started on the clerks. When they come in all they do is sit down behind the customer counter, the lazy bastards.

I do agree that preloaders are preloaders, though. If you're directed to work in more than one spot, it's best to just suck it up and move on. The only thing that might help you talk your way out of it is high seniority and the increasingly rare reasonable supervisor that actually responds appropriately to a well-thought out argument.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Essential rule of thumb is to work as directed. You can try and talk sense to the supe' about you having to do other people's jobs, but it almost certainly will fall on deaf ears.

It's best to just focus on your pull and, when you're done, if you're asked to help others then just shuffle on over and help finish. If you've still got work on the belt/line, though, make sure to point that out and ask who's going to cover you while you're helping whoever they ask you to help. Still go over and work as directed, just make it clear that they're going to move a problem from one pull to another if they send you to help without filling the gap left behind. And don't be a dick about it! Just keep your tone and approach casual, like you're all ready to help but you want to make sure your job's covered as well.

That kind of logic makes me think the drivers'd start helping with the sort when they show up instead of sitting around havin' pissing contests over who had the highest stop/piece count or miles the day before. I mean, we're all UPS employees here-- it's not like we have specific responsibilities or anything, we're simply indentured to the company and at the mercy of their every direction.

And then the feeders, man, how come they don't do anything after they drop off their loads? I mean, they're UPS employees so they should probably pitch in too, and don't even get me started on the clerks. When they come in all they do is sit down behind the customer counter, the lazy bastards.

I do agree that preloaders are preloaders, though. If you're directed to work in more than one spot, it's best to just suck it up and move on. The only thing that might help you talk your way out of it is high seniority and the increasingly rare reasonable supervisor that actually responds appropriately to a well-thought out argument.

Preloaders are disposable

Do it or don’t

Nobody cares

J

jibbs

Preloaders are disposable

Do it or don’t

Nobody cares

Oh, for sure. It just seemed like he was trying to avoid the hassle of a confrontation, and the best way is just to go with the flow and make a few more OT dollars.

:censored2: us, though. Preload's some bull:censored2:, but it's nice making just under $17/hr by now with close-to-free bennies just to load trucks according to the numbers already printed on the boxes. We're disposable because most of us are dumb as :censored2: and shouldn't be trusted with driving themselves to work (side-note: a lot of my coworkers are dropped off and picked up daily, so yeah)

WTFm8

Short answer: 1. Work as instructed 2. File, if it violates the contract.

Or if it’s out of classification.

If drivers show up early to assist preload or sort their trucks, preload should be filing to have start time earlier/proper staffing.

Hell, if drivers have to help wrap up, preload should be filing and drivers should be filing because they have bid start times and service commits.

All should be filing if supervisors work to assist preload or local sort, short-staffing or starting late then ‘helping’ to get done on time isn’t a good reason for them to work.