Gas Prices Skyrocketing Thanks Biden!

vantexan

Keystone would have transported tar sand oil, not liquid petroleum. I think you know that.
The sludge that would've been transported to Texas refineries is 10% bitumen, which once separated from the sand makes perfectly fine gasoline. There's an estmated 170 billion barrels of oil in the Alberta oil sands. That would sustain us for centuries. But the far Left extremists want nothing to do with fossil fuels so they put up arguments like you just did. I think Canada should build refineries and truck the gasoline to us. But they're controlled by far Left extremists too.

Up In Smoke

The sludge that would've been transported to Texas refineries is 10% bitumen, which once separated from the sand makes perfectly fine gasoline. There's an estmated 170 billion barrels of oil in the Alberta oil sands. That would sustain us for centuries. But the far Left extremists want nothing to do with fossil fuels so they put up arguments like you just did. I think Canada should build refineries and truck the gasoline to us. But they're controlled by far Left extremists too.
About 15-20% of the sand oil is pet coke, a highly toxic heavy metal and sulphur combination. They don't want that garbage bi-product to remain in their country.

How can anyone live in a van if they cannot get fuel?

Up In Smoke

No way to mitigate that?
Comes out during the coking process. One of the reasons the sand oil is undesirable. Very costly to extract any usable product. That's why the vast majority of the sand oil is exported to Asia and Latin America where environmental regulations allow for that toxic material to be burned in the making of electricity.

newolddude

Why not build refineries in South Dakota? That states about as right/red as you can get and has no issue making accomodations for businesses.

vantexan

Why not build refineries in South Dakota? That states about as right/red as you can get and has no issue making accomodations for businesses.
The refineries are mainly in Texas because that's where the oil industry has been centered for decades. And surprise, the Left has shut down the building of new refineries for decades.

vantexan

Comes out during the coking process. One of the reasons the sand oil is undesirable. Very costly to extract any usable product. That's why the vast majority of the sand oil is exported to Asia and Latin America where environmental regulations allow for that toxic material to be burned in the making of electricity.
I just read on Reuters that most of the 3.5 million barrels of oil sands produced in Canada daily is used in the U.S. but they've also heavily increased their exports to Asia.

Up In Smoke

Those coker units can run up to 4 billion dollars to build and install. No Canadian oil company has stepped up to make that kind of investment. It's easier to ship that product to us and wash their hands of the whole process.

Up In Smoke

March 2022 numbers released by TC energy shows 730k barrels of sand oil per day are produced for transport through the US. That 3 million must also include crude oil, which is much easier to refine into usable products.

newolddude

FVPfcpDWYAAuGQ-