Gay marriage ban struck down in california

804brown

While I do not agree with the veto in NJ I do agree with the reason given--Gov. Christie says that a decision this important should be made by the voters, not their representatives or governor, and asks that the measure be added as a referendum in the next election.

I disagree. Would it have been ok if the majority of alabama's citizens "voted" to continue to deny black alabama citizens their equal right?? I think christie is just looking to protect his republicans in the legislature from a difficult vote. Tough , that is what being an elected representative is supposed to do!!

804brown

I like for the people to decide too.......California decided....voted by the people............BUT then someone says, not good enough and try to shoot down everything. It's happend twice to me since '91.

That "someone" was the california supreme ct!! And they "shot it down" because it violates citizens equal protection before the law. They said the referrendum was unconstitutional. Just like "separate but equal" was unconstitutional.

moreluck

golden ticket member
That "someone" was the california supreme ct!! And they "shot it down" because it violates citizens equal protection before the law. They said the referrendum was unconstitutional. Just like "separate but equal" was unconstitutional.
then why was it even on the ballot?

island1fox

I disagree. Would it have been ok if the majority of alabama's citizens "voted" to continue to deny black alabama citizens their equal right?? I think christie is just looking to protect his republicans in the legislature from a difficult vote. Tough , that is what being an elected representative is supposed to do!!

To compare civil rights with gay marriage is just plain wrong --I won't use the race card on you -I am not that Liberal.

Elected Officials are supposed to carry out the will of the people. I did not hear many of them running on the gay marriage issue. Just like Obama they state they are against it --get elected and let LIBERAL courts put in a liberal agenda.

How much more liberal can you get than the voters of California ?? Many people truly believe that a penis in an anus is not normal.

The majority of Americans believe that MARRIAGE is the union of a man and a woman.

Gays can have all the financial rights --civil unions -what ever.

Should the next edict by elected officials be : Gay does not exist --everyone must be called "straight" It is the same ????

804brown

To compare civil rights with gay marriage is just plain wrong --I won't use the race card on you -I am not that Liberal.

Elected Officials are supposed to carry out the will of the people. I did not hear many of them running on the gay marriage issue. Just like Obama they state they are against it --get elected and let LIBERAL courts put in a liberal agenda.

How much more liberal can you get than the voters of California ?? Many people truly believe that a penis in an anus is not normal.

The majority of Americans believe that MARRIAGE is the union of a man and a woman.

Gays can have all the financial rights --civil unions -what ever.

Should the next edict by elected officials be : Gay does not exist --everyone must be called "straight" It is the same ????

As for comparing marriage equality to civil rights, I have seen lots of african american pols using the same analogy.

Poll after poll show that marriage equality in the majority. In NJ, by 54 -40% in favor. Plus issues like these usually get solved by the courts like with civil rights. Yes that was a liberal agenda . Thank goodness for that liberal agenda.

So do you think it was wrong of the courts to do that?? It is just that cons like yourself are so behind the times (no pun intended). Society is progressing forward and a loud, powerful minority want to yell STOP as usual. You cons were wrong about women's rights (to choose and to vote); you cons were wrong on african-americans getting equal rights, on laws against black /white marriage or gay peoplle having sex. You cons were wrong when truman desegregated the military and allowing women in combat.

As for the rest of your post, it is too ridiculous to respond to.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The preezy's view on same sex marriage is "evolving"......yeah, while they come up with another word for "flip-flop" !!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There was a story on this on tonight's NBC Nightly News. Obama talked about how he opposed same sex marriage, due to his religious beliefs, while a senator in 2004, but in the back of his mind he knew that he would be on the wrong side of history. He then spoke of his daughter's and the fact that some of their friends come from same sex families.

He had planned on waiting until September to make this announcement but made it today due to what Joe Biden said on Meet the Press on Sunday.