Gay marriage ban struck down in california

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why is it lousy.... you want to change the definition of marriage. Why is 2 people some magic number? You want it changed to accomodate what you want to see done... Just wondering why it shouldnt go beyond that to whoever wants to marry for whatever reason? Never mentioned horses

No, you want to change the definition. Marriage has always been the joining of two people who love each other and (supposedly) are commited to each other for life. Why can't 2 men or 2 women do this the same way that a heterosexual couple do? Your definition is the traditional WASP version that everyone is "supposed" to abide by if they want to be in the good graces of the Christian Community (read Religious Right).

Conservatives toss-in scare tactic lines like multiple spouses, animals etc. because it spooks the ignorant. Looks like it isn't working so well any more.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry but within the muslim community men do marry minors, some as young as 5.

Muhammed married a six year old bride. But Islam has evolved in 1500 years. In Hamas land, in 2009, the brides are almost seven.
Mass Muslim Marriage in Gaza
450 Grooms Wed GIRLS Under Ten In Gaza
by Paul L. Williams, Ph.D.
thelastcrusade.org

A gala event has occurred in Gaza.
Hamas sponsored a mass wedding for four hundred and fifty couples. Most of the grooms were in their mid to late twenties; most of brides were under ten.

The International Center for Research on Women now estimates that there are 51 million child brides now living on planet earth and almost all in Muslim countries.
Twenty-nine percent of these child brides are regularly beaten and molested by their husbands in Egypt; twenty six percent receive similar abuse in Jordan.

Sorry, but we are talking about marriage in this country, not some other culture. I'm not surprised you took the opportunity to try and slam Islam.

tourists24

No, you want to change the definition. Marriage has always been the joining of two people who love each other and (supposedly) are commited to each other for life. Why can't 2 men or 2 women do this the same way that a heterosexual couple do? Your definition is the traditional WASP version that everyone is "supposed" to abide by if they want to be in the good graces of the Christian Community (read Religious Right).

Conservatives toss-in scare tactic lines like multiple spouses, animals etc. because it spooks the ignorant. Looks like it isn't working so well any more.
Im not wanting to change anything unless it involves having the government stay completely out of the marriage business. You are the one wanting to change it to make it ok only for the gay community only. What about others that dont fit into that category?

Marriage has never been the joining of two people per se, but a man and a woman specifically. That makes the gay community angry and wants it changed simply to suit their needs. I only say if there is going to be a change in the name of fairness, then why stop at just allowing gay marriage. Why not allow anyone that wants to commit?

bbsam

Staff member
Im not wanting to change anything unless it involves having the government stay completely out of the marriage business. You are the one wanting to change it to make it ok only for the gay community only. What about others that dont fit into that category?

Marriage has never been the joining of two people per se, but a man and a woman specifically. That makes the gay community angry and wants it changed simply to suit their needs. I only say if there is going to be a change in the name of fairness, then why stop at just allowing gay marriage. Why not allow anyone that wants to commit?
That's just it. The government has to be either "all in or all out" in order to be fair. Note that gay relationships are not illegal. The slippery slope argument falls apart because such relationships between adult and child or adult and animal are in fact illegal. They may one day be legal, but it cannot preclude the state recognizing the rights of all adults in legal relationships. So the state needs to be only in civil unions and leave marriage to religion.

804brown

Gay people have been marrying for thousands of years. It is just that they were socially forced into a marriage of convenience to "fit in" with everyone else mostly out of fear. That is a just tradition??

I just dont get why so many people insist on denying these people their pursuit of happiness. It is a ''reaonable" request. Why do you feel the need to blockade civilization progressing. It is not bringing any harm to you is it?? You "conservatives" profess to be "Pro liberty"!! Then get out of their way already!!

tourists24

That's just it. The government has to be either "all in or all out" in order to be fair. Note that gay relationships are not illegal. The slippery slope argument falls apart because such relationships between adult and child or adult and animal are in fact illegal. They may one day be legal, but it cannot preclude the state recognizing the rights of all adults in legal relationships. So the state needs to be only in civil unions and leave marriage to religion.
Good post BB..... its truly none of the governments business who marries who.

tourists24

Gay people have been marrying for thousands of years. It is just that they were socially forced into a marriage of convenience to "fit in" with everyone else mostly out of fear. That is a just tradition??

I just dont get why so many people insist on denying these people their pursuit of happiness. It is a ''reaonable" request. Why do you feel the need to blockade civilization progressing. It is not bringing any harm to you is it?? You "conservatives" profess to be "Pro liberty"!! Then get out of their way already!!
Im not against it. Just curious as to why the only change to marriage was limited to gays only. If the change is truly for fairness, the fight should be for "every" consenting adult for any reason they want

You can make all the outlandish slippery slope scenarios as you wish. My point is: WHY ARE SO MANY PEOPLE HUNG UP ON DENYING TWO ADULTS WHO LOVE EACH THE RIGHT TO MARRIAGE EQUALITY!! Saying the government will "replace certain words" isnt going to happen. Just get used to the fact that gays will be allowed to get married . It is life advancing and working to give all life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!
It's not anymore outlandish a scenario that 50 years ago we would be even having this discussion would have been. I never said the government will replace any words, I said the SHOULD. Not the same thing. If it is such a forgone conclusion that gay marriage is going to become a federal law, why are you even posting about this. Gay marriage is life advancing?

Why not? What is in a name? A vow by any other name can be broken, a promise by any other ignored.
That's weak. Really? generations of traditions mean nothing and should be discounted as unimportant. Glad you are not one of my family.

You don't understand the gay menace. Every one of them is plotting to steal away young boys, ruin straight marriages by targeting otherwise God-loving husbands and fathers, and corrupt the American way of life. All we need to do is go back to 1952 and make sure that we return to a USA where Whites make all the rules and enjoy all the benefits and gays stayed closeted away because the knew they'd get beat-up or killed if they came out and revealed their lifestyle.

While we're at it, let's send all the minorities back to 1952 as well. Equal Rights? Only if you're White, love Jesus, and are straight. No one else need apply.
LMAO, when your argument falls apart you rely on the sarcastic and worthless lies that you think provides you so well. Not one person on here has even alluded to the crap you posted above.

Good try. Make it sound like they all want to marry horses and have multiple spouses. Lousy tactic, and not even remotely true.
OOH NOW you want to talk about what is true??? Too late for you.

When you look up the definition of Marriage the first line in every dictionary I have checked says..."The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife". Although dictionaries have made changes in the last decade to include as secondary meaning same sex couples. But that doesn't change what is a legal union in 49 states of 50.

Actually there are some states that have laws forbidding certain acts of gay relationships illegal. Not saying there should be those laws, just that they do exist. There was a time that homosexual relationships were indeed illegal in every state of the US. Most of those laws have been over turned, rightfully so. What makes you so sure the other laws won't be?
I agree and said that the state needs to be only in civil unions and leave marriage to religion/churches etc.

Oh really? When was the first recorded homosexual marriage?

There are evidently lots of things you don't understand. There are things I don't understand too, one being is why is the term marriage so important to homosexual couples? Will the term truly give them happiness? The divorce rate of heterosexual marriages and the dissolving of homosexual unions would imply the term would make no difference in their happiness.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Catholic marriage, also called matrimony, is a "covenant by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring. [It] has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament between the baptised."[SUP][1][/SUP] In the Roman Rite, it is ordinarily celebrated in a Nuptial Mass.

The nature of the covenant requires that the two participants be one man and one woman, that they be free to marry, that they willingly and knowingly enter into a valid marriage contract, and that they validly execute the performance of the contract."

Procreation is a major part.........to me.

Catholic marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"Catholic marriage, also called matrimony, is a "covenant by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring. [It] has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament between the baptised."[SUP][1][/SUP] In the Roman Rite, it is ordinarily celebrated in a Nuptial Mass.

The nature of the covenant requires that the two participants be one man and one woman, that they be free to marry, that they willingly and knowingly enter into a valid marriage contract, and that they validly execute the performance of the contract."

Procreation is a major part.........to me.

Catholic marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is the definition for Catholic priest? I should probably head to the NAMBLA page for that one. Don't you find it ironic that the priest marrying a couple in "Catholic Marriage" cannot marry themselves, and in many cases has been a closeted homosexual child predator?

804brown

trplnkl;938780Oh really? When was the first recorded homosexual marriage? .[/QUOTE said:
When i said pay people have been marrying for thousands of years i meant they have been forced into marrying straight people due to social forces.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While I do not agree with the veto in NJ I do agree with the reason given--Gov. Christie says that a decision this important should be made by the voters, not their representatives or governor, and asks that the measure be added as a referendum in the next election.

moreluck

golden ticket member
While I do not agree with the veto in NJ I do agree with the reason given--Gov. Christie says that a decision this important should be made by the voters, not their representatives or governor, and asks that the measure be added as a referendum in the next election.
I like for the people to decide too.......California decided....voted by the people............BUT then someone says, not good enough and try to shoot down everything. It's happend twice to me since '91.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Wait till the mexican majority in California starts voting on things "they" want and see if you feel the same way when it goes against you. Lets put your theory to the test.

Peace.

TOS.