Gay Pride

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The White House and everything in it, including the salaries of all occupants past and present, is/was paid for by the taxpayers. It's not "their house" and "their beige carpet" it's our house and our beige carpet. This is not a dictatorship where the leaders must be venerated, these politicians made a choice to be public figures and giving them the finger is a uniquely American right of expression.

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree--the White House is the symbol of America and giving the finger to a portrait of a former President is absolutely disgraceful. Do or say what you want anywhere else but when you are in the White House you need to show respect.

Why do you think Tim Thomas chose not to join the rest of the Boston Bruins when they went to visit the WH after they won the Stanley Cup a few years ago? His political beliefs differed from those of the President and rather than disrespect either the President or the WH he chose not to participate. Was this in essence his way of giving the middle finger? Perhaps but he did so without stepping foot in DC.

When you are a guest in someone's home you need to respect both the occupants and their home.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm sorry but I strongly disagree--the White House is the symbol of America and giving the finger to a portrait of a former President is absolutely disgraceful. Do or say what you want anywhere else but when you are in the White House you need to show respect.

Why do you think Tim Thomas chose not to join the rest of the Boston Bruins when they went to visit the WH after they won the Stanley Cup a few years ago? His political beliefs differed from those of the President and rather than disrespect either the President or the WH he chose not to participate. Was this in essence his way of giving the middle finger? Perhaps but he did so without stepping foot in DC.

When you are a guest in someone's home you need to respect both the occupants and their home.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion.
I don't think the white house is a symbol of America, I think it's the taxpayer funded residence of a public employee. I'm already paying his rent and paying his salary, I'm not gonna kiss ass into the bargain, dead or alive. I'm not a guest in the great leader's home, I'm his employer and he's living on my property. I've never been into venerating symbols of the state or it's representatives and if someone tells me I need to show proper respect to said symbol/representative I will show disrespect simply on principle and to assert my all American right to do otherwise. But that's just me :wink2:

bbsam

Staff member

I admit that it is disrespectful, but the Whitehouse is not sacred ground. I didn't believe so when Bill Clinton got his groove on in the oval office either. In fact, I found the fact that people were insulted by that the most peculiar of all. I think people would do better to learn the intricacies of our history and our government than to get swept away with sentimentality.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Think about this.....how would you want your kids to behave if they were secretly being filmed and it would be shown to the nation??

bbsam

Staff member
Think about this.....how would you want your kids to behave if they were secretly being filmed and it would be shown to the nation??

Probably like they are in church...although that's rarely respectful. Good enough for God, good enough for presidential portraits.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Probably like they are in church...although that's rarely respectful. Good enough for God, good enough for presidential portraits.
If I were watching through a secet camera and my kid gave the finger to a presidential portrait in the white house......I would come from behind the wall and bend that damn finger back til they screamed and put the kid in a police hold (one arm behind the back) and march them out of there so fast. Then I'd come back for the tape and put it on you tube so all their friends could see it.

wkmac

Alan Turing.jpg
Alan Turing.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
Maybe you should reread your post and consider whether it is analagous to a smack on the butt.
As kids, we got fingers bent back all the time from the gang of friends. I didn't say broken.
Don't you remember holding both hands up and your friend holding both hands up and you interock fingers and try to bend them back and your friend or you kneels in submission. Like a 'king of the hill'thing

wkmac

As kids, we got fingers bent back all the time from the gang of friends. I didn't say broken.
Don't you remember holding both hands up and your friend holding both hands up and you interock fingers and try to bend them back and your friend or you kneels in submission. Like a 'king of the hill'thing

You mean the human form of what dogs do in humping one another as an act of imposing domination?

bbsam

Staff member
Hmmmmm. I don't remember that contest including pinning the opponents arm behiind their back. Plus, being the adult it's hardly a fair contest.... No. Sounds like crappy parenting to me.