Getting rid of the competition as a contract proposal

TarAndFeathers

Methodically disorganized
Primarily Amazon, there is not a solid enough reason as to why we are delivering packages for our competitors

That seems like a straightforward statement to make, but cutting Amazon will do UPS more good than harm for a few notable reasons:

1. Less overall volume and stops to make, that means less unwanted OT (sorry 22.4 you're not good enough).

2. Less money spent for damage claims, Amazon boxes break very easily and the paper tape itself is a joke and this is how Amazon can exploit UPS.

3. Improved Preload, less volume means Preloaders will have less packages which means less egress issues, and more room in the trucks to work, a win for both loaders and drivers.

These are just a few benefits from cutting ourselves away from the competition, I would even say getting rid of Surepost would be something to consider also.

PT Car Washer

Primarily Amazon, there is not a solid enough reason as to why we are delivering packages for our competitors

That seems like a straightforward statement to make, but cutting Amazon will do UPS more good than harm for a few notable reasons:

1. Less overall volume and stops to make, that means less unwanted OT (sorry 22.4 you're not good enough).

2. Less money spent for damage claims, Amazon boxes break very easily and the paper tape itself is a joke and this is how Amazon can exploit UPS.

3. Improved Preload, less volume means Preloaders will have less packages which means less egress issues, and more room in the trucks to work, a win for both loaders and drivers.

These are just a few benefits from cutting ourselves away from the competition, I would even say getting rid of Surepost would be something to consider also.
More volume equals more Union jobs. Lesser volume means fewer Union jobs. I am sure UPS has a formula of how many 10k packages means how many FT and PT Union jobs.

TarAndFeathers

Methodically disorganized
More volume equals more Union jobs. Lesser volume means fewer Union jobs. I am sure UPS has a formula of how many 10k packages means how many FT and PT Union jobs.
In a way perhaps that would be true, and it would be beneficial. However more volume also means more of a push on production, and when that happens that is when more problems come up.

The need to reach unrealistic PPH levels, this desire to maximize PPH leads to half of a hub's volume being pushed out in the last hour and a half, which leads to a longer preload (which can be seen as good for PT employees), and a later start for drivers.

I think cutting Amazon would be good enough to eliminate the aforementioned issues in the OP, but it wouldn't hurt or take away Union jobs, UPS has plenty of business accounts where even if Amazon is cut, it wouldn't hurt as much as some may think. But there isn't much of a reason why we should help Amazon especially seeing how Anti-Union Amazon is.

542thruNthru

BcI7.gif
tenor-15.gif
source-1.gif
giphy-16.gif

Get ready for the strike fellas. These are the people that helped make the 2/3 rule make sense.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Shares in the global delivery firm tumbled more than 16% after it also reported revenue and profit for the first-quarter ended Aug. 31 that missed Wall Street targets.
Altogether, a worldwide slowdown in economic activity caused shortfalls in FedEx Express revenues of $500 million and FedEx Ground revenues of $300 million in the quarter, FedEx said.
FedEx said it was cutting costs including shutting some FedEx Office locations, reducing labor hours and consolidating some sorting facilities.

floridays

Shares in the global delivery firm tumbled more than 16% after it also reported revenue and profit for the first-quarter ended Aug. 31 that missed Wall Street targets.
Altogether, a worldwide slowdown in economic activity caused shortfalls in FedEx Express revenues of $500 million and FedEx Ground revenues of $300 million in the quarter, FedEx said.
FedEx said it was cutting costs including shutting some FedEx Office locations, reducing labor hours and consolidating some sorting facilities.
Seems right.

Johney

In a way perhaps that would be true, and it would be beneficial. However more volume also means more of a push on production, and when that happens that is when more problems come up.

The need to reach unrealistic PPH levels, this desire to maximize PPH leads to half of a hub's volume being pushed out in the last hour and a half, which leads to a longer preload (which can be seen as good for PT employees), and a later start for drivers.

I think cutting Amazon would be good enough to eliminate the aforementioned issues in the OP, but it wouldn't hurt or take away Union jobs, UPS has plenty of business accounts where even if Amazon is cut, it wouldn't hurt as much as some may think. But there isn't much of a reason why we should help Amazon especially seeing how Anti-Union Amazon is.
You think any of that would change? No. They'd just start the preload later(like they do now when volume is done)and cram it down their throats(like they do now). How long have you been working here? Geeze.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We're supposed to be better, not bigger. Amazon is razor thin margins, takes up too much capacity for the profit. We should start charging more to get the revenue up and reduce the forced exessive OT, or lose the volume to make room for people who will pay what our service is worth. The race to the bottom for working conditions has no winners, and we should withdraw from it before no one wants to work here either.

Karma...

wait until the teamsters unionize Fedex and amazon....id like to see a level playing field......

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Amazon and FedEx have been chasing the big Brown dog for years trying to figure out how to do it better to cut into our numbers, but let's face it, they can't There are a number of reasons why and I'm not going to go into them here. If you've been here awhile- you know. I believe Amazon will fold it's delivery service soon than later.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Our world class IE dept plans on incoming volume, or a guess from last year's numbers would be more accurate. They always plan on the slim side so staffing and egress would only get worse. Collect 9.5 grievance money and invest it in some land like I do. I have 42 acres paid for thanks to our IE dept. I hope they keep their heads in the sand.

FozziesDeliveries

Primarily Amazon, there is not a solid enough reason as to why we are delivering packages for our competitors......
First of all i think the damages are a good point, Amazon does a terrible job packing their crap.

That said.... Amazon stopped delivering to areas that 4ish bid routes cover in my building, my route is included in that. Amazon has been splitting this volume between us and USPS. Thanks to this added volume we have been getting around 3 routes added in on T-friend in these areas to help with the increased volume. That is 3 more ups drivers pretty consistently getting work. I mean.... i see that as a good thing.

Now surepost i never understood and wish we would stop. We are handing away work that we could be delivering. I sometimes look at the packages and see things in town i will be driving right by. If they are addressed to areas we will not be close to, since its a lower cost service, i don't see why we couldn't hold the package a day or two until there are other deliveries close. Its already getting a 1 day delay from when we drop it off to the post office until it gets delivered.

Brownwind

Still new to the shift?? More boxes equals more routes and Teamsters to do the work. We should be wanting an extra trailer per day per building from our competitors. Your a Teamster and you want a strong profitable company to work for. Don’t throw boxes and you won’t damage them. Follow the methods and you’ll be fine. Collect a check and enjoy the job.

PT Car Washer

Still new to the shift?? More boxes equals more routes and Teamsters to do the work. We should be wanting an extra trailer per day per building from our competitors. Your a Teamster and you want a strong profitable company to work for. Don’t throw boxes and you won’t damage them. Follow the methods and you’ll be fine. Collect a check and enjoy the job.
I have seen managers just stand there and watch while the unload throws boxes onto the belt. Can't slowdown production. Damages are someone else problem.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
First of all i think the damages are a good point, Amazon does a terrible job packing their crap.

That said.... Amazon stopped delivering to areas that 4ish bid routes cover in my building, my route is included in that. Amazon has been splitting this volume between us and USPS. Thanks to this added volume we have been getting around 3 routes added in on T-friend in these areas to help with the increased volume. That is 3 more ups drivers pretty consistently getting work. I mean.... i see that as a good thing.

Now surepost i never understood and wish we would stop. We are handing away work that we could be delivering. I sometimes look at the packages and see things in town i will be driving right by. If they are addressed to areas we will not be close to, since its a lower cost service, i don't see why we couldn't hold the package a day or two until there are other deliveries close. Its already getting a 1 day delay from when we drop it off to the post office until it gets delivered.

Loading down our system with low profit packages increases pressure on the company to get more done faster with fewer people. There is an optimum level of Amazon we should take for the price we charge, and my guess is we are taking way over that optimum.

Following the law of diminishing returns, if we don't scale back their volume or increase their rates, the company won't have the workforce to deal with the volume, because everyone will be injured, quit, or massively slow down their performance, eating in to profit. We already know the company doesn't like to invest in maintaining equipment, even at current profit levels, if profits drop due to staffing issues, equipment will start failing, and there won't be much of a company left.