Getting rid of the competition as a contract proposal

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Was this for me? I am pro the amazon volume because it is giving more drivers more work. Thats why i think it would be nice if we did the surepost ourselves all the time too. More of our work for more of our drivers.
I remember my route before the covid volume, way more miles. Not easier or harder just different.

If we did all the surepost, we would probably lose money on it. I'm guessing we're right on the edge with Amazon.

allahuakbar

She/Her
Was this for me? I am pro the amazon volume because it is giving more drivers more work. Thats why i think it would be nice if we did the surepost ourselves all the time too. More of our work for more of our drivers.
I remember my route before the covid volume, way more miles. Not easier or harder just different.
Was for OP bud. I’m on your page brother

AccidentProne

Primarily Amazon, there is not a solid enough reason as to why we are delivering packages for our competitors

That seems like a straightforward statement to make, but cutting Amazon will do UPS more good than harm for a few notable reasons:

1. Less overall volume and stops to make, that means less unwanted OT (sorry 22.4 you're not good enough).

2. Less money spent for damage claims, Amazon boxes break very easily and the paper tape itself is a joke and this is how Amazon can exploit UPS.

3. Improved Preload, less volume means Preloaders will have less packages which means less egress issues, and more room in the trucks to work, a win for both loaders and drivers.

These are just a few benefits from cutting ourselves away from the competition, I would even say getting rid of Surepost would be something to consider also.
If we stop shipping for Amazon, it will hurt them in the short term, and they will ramp up their own fleet which hurts UPS in the long term. They will initially shift their volume to Fedex and other small shipping companies to mitigate the damage.

1. Less OT = Less PTimers wanting to work. I would not work this job if I couldn't get 10-15 extra hours on top of my 25 ST.

2. Paper tape is better for the environment and I am all for it even it sucks. All boxes rip if you drop them hard on their corners.

3. Egress is the last thing I worry about on Preload loading package cars. I worry more about drivers coming in early and ruining my tempo. More packages = more money.

All the things you listed only benefits the top seniority drivers that stay after the layoffs from the volume cut. It :censored2:s everyone else; The low seniority drivers, the unload, the sorters, the small sort, etc.

AccidentProne

Those managers probably understand that the unloaders would tell them to eat :censored2: because the problem isn't unload, it's load. If those stacks aren't tight, they shift and you get damage as things bounce.

At this point, I kinda miss trailers that have recognizable stacks, period.

My record is three whole rolls of tape on a Chicago trailer. I refuse to apologize for anything I do in a Chicago trailer either, some of which is disgusting, but completely justified. It's possible to make Chicago trailers more dangerous to unload than they already are, but I would have to try very, very hard, and would include, among other things, always putting over 75 irregs and hazmats at the very top of the jumble of hurled boxes as opposed to only some of the time, and increasing the rate leakers are put in totes and loaded into the trailer while still leaking.

Back peddling out of the way of a stack that is collapsing on me is a daily occurrence for me.
I know a trailer gonna be :censored2: if it doesn't have a load bar or uses the netting on the side. If the trailer shifts just 4-6 inches, the whole thing gets :censored2:ed with forward or backwards leans. A trailer that only gets loaded to 40% should have the bars and not the trailers that are packed to the door and need a winch to be pried open.

I had a trailer earlier this week where every twentieth package was open because someone stacked the heavy boxes and light boxes in no order with no load bar.

I rather deal with a back lean than a forward lean.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
If we stop shipping for Amazon, it will hurt them in the short term, and they will ramp up their own fleet which hurts UPS in the long term. They will initially shift their volume to Fedex and other small shipping companies to mitigate the damage.

1. Less OT = Less PTimers wanting to work. I would not work this job if I couldn't get 10-15 extra hours on top of my 25 ST.

2. Paper tape is better for the environment and I am all for it even it sucks. All boxes rip if you drop them hard on their corners.

3. Egress is the last thing I worry about on Preload loading package cars. I worry more about drivers coming in early and ruining my tempo. More packages = more money.

All the things you listed only benefits the top seniority drivers that stay after the layoffs from the volume cut. It :censored2:s everyone else; The low seniority drivers, the unload, the sorters, the small sort, etc.
FedEx rejected them, genius

MostHelpNeeded

There is enough room for everyone here, Fedex, USPS, Amazon and us. As long as Amazon plays nice and delivers their own stuff, we don't have a problem. There is and always will be enough business to business and non Amazon business to resi to support all of us. If Amazon chooses to supplement there delivery service with us, I see nothing wrong with it, at a god price to us. We should not be discounting to get their volume. Either pay up, or do it yourself.

Now if they really try to eat into our market, ie take other business' packages, then we have a problem, and no longer play nice. Somewhere along the lines of cut them unexpectedly, say....a week before Christmas.

I don't know enough about this to know if we have a contract or whatever with Amazon to take their volume, but if we do, we def. should have some kind of non-compete clause in it. Something like we'll deliver their stuff for them, but they don't need to be trying to deliver our stuff for us.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
What you just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this sub is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
What you just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this sub is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
For future posting

bbsam

Staff member
I’ve wondered for years why UPS continues to service Amazon. And if profit margins with them remain unattractive, I’d do one of two things. End the relationship or seriously jack up those rates.

Amazon has had a taste of package delivery. Perhaps they have a new appreciation for what you do.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
For future posting

giphy-downsized-large.gif

nWo

UPS publicly list what they consider to be competition online.

Doordash
Amazon
USPS
Target
Walmart
Laser ship
FedEx
Instacart
Shipt
DHL
Postmates
BOPIS

We going to stop doing business with all of them?

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
I have seen managers just stand there and watch while the unload throws boxes onto the belt. Can't slowdown production. Damages are someone else problem.

That’s unload for you. Labels down, ripped packages, packages over 70lb etc etc but who cares as long we meet our numbers. Classic management.

Next Day Error

X - Other
We're supposed to be better, not bigger. Amazon is razor thin margins, takes up too much capacity for the profit. We should start charging more to get the revenue up and reduce the forced exessive OT, or lose the volume to make room for people who will pay what our service is worth. The race to the bottom for working conditions has no winners, and we should withdraw from it before no one wants to work here either.
Again... you seem to think you know everything. Tell me what we charge Amazon per piece on average. How do you know we're not charging more already? You don't know and can't tell me.

That’s unload for you. Labels down, ripped packages, packages over 70lb etc etc but who cares as long we meet our numbers. Classic management.
Don't forget to keep sorting when the belts are off. Stack the belts and than when they try to start the belts it is so overloaded we have to stack in the sort aisle and the whole time they are still unloading. Thousands of packages damaged just to meet managements goal of cutting as many minimum PT jobs as possible. Management is the enemy of this company.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Again... you seem to think you know everything. Tell me what we charge Amazon per piece on average. How do you know we're not charging more already? You don't know and can't tell me.

Uh huh. I don't need to know the exact amount per package to know we don't make a lot of profit per package. How could I know we aren't charging more, more than what already? I see the evidence around me, hear what other people are saying, and apply my knowledge of the business world to form an educated guess. So, are you trying to make this about me and what you think I know or don't? Or do you have something to add the conversation? Do you know how much we profit off amazon? I'd be interested to know.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Don't forget to keep sorting when the belts are off. Stack the belts and than when they try to start the belts it is so overloaded we have to stack in the sort aisle and the whole time they are still unloading. Thousands of packages damaged just to meet managements goal of cutting as many minimum PT jobs as possible. Management is the enemy of this company.

How does that affect your job.... as a PT car washer ?