Glad I'm out of this Part2

bbsam

Staff member
Here are the facts. We began with 4 day 1 contracors. Not single Day 1 contractor took on additional routes depite having been offered them for free. Why? They are marginally profitable in depressed rural areas where the imputs are way off standard relative to the formula RPS/FXG uses to determine what they think it costs you to run the route. Why is that the case? The core zone formula is blind to RD's. They were never factored into the equation. Don't tell me this is B.S because I talked to the retired UPS engineer who was from downtown Manhatten who set up the routes but did not know of their existance. Secondly when we began to see on a daily basis just how slanted the contract language was in favor of G providing the company with value clearly disproportionate to the value we were receiving we could plainly see that taking on more routes made it even more unbalanced. Third, to give the guy driving that route what he had earned for himself and that was a family sustaining wage, an employer paid health insurane plan and something in the way of a pension there wouldn't have been enough left over to make it worthwhile to have additional routes. So we simply gave any additional routes to whoever wanted them. Needless to say the people who took those routes didn't last very long. Too much debt, too much taken out for a lifestyle the economics of the route couldn't support. Any more snide comments?
You are wrong. I'm in a rural area and have been a multi-route owner for 20+ years. Nothing snide about it, just fact.

bacha29

Answer to IBWF. The engineer to me the first day we were out " What does R.D. stand for" I said Mike, do you mean to tell me that you never factored in the R.D.'s ? n If that's the case then with the mail R.D. stands for Rural Delivery. With us it's stands for rightfully delayed". As for C.Z."s we went through all that stuff over and over again. When we changed buildings we moved just 2 miles but my CZ dropped $23 a day. Now the socalled contract said that it could not drop more than 10 per day. But when I threw that up to them their answer.: " In case of a move that rule doesn't apply." One of many examples where the printed language of their own unlaterally contract is selectively enforced and only when it applies to your compliance with that language. Should come as no surprise when there is no governing legal authority in place with the power to make them comply to the terms of their own contract.

bacha29

Hey BBSAM: Are you saying that 4 day 1 contractors were wrong in their thinking? Facts? Show me your evidence that supports your opinion?Nevertheless, I don't care what you think. You're not my family and your not my friend. All you represent to me well, just so many people. In fact you bare existence is of no consequence to me . I was a Day 1 are you? Judging by your attitude probably not. No Day1 is or was so brainwashed.

It will be fine

Hey BBSAM: Are you saying that 4 day 1 contractors were wrong in their thinking? Facts? Show me your evidence that supports your opinion?Nevertheless, I don't care what you think. You're not my family and your not my friend. All you represent to me well, just so many people. In fact you bare existence is of no consequence to me . I was a Day 1 are you? Judging by your attitude probably not. No Day1 is or was so brainwashed.
That's a very mean spirited reply. You seem angry. You should relax.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes. That is what I am saying. They were wrong and so are many other "day 1" contractors. We have two in our building who could have been huge but were frightened away by "worse case scenarios" haunting their everyday expectations. It happens. Doesn't make them bad guys or bad businessmen. They just choose not to take on the added responsibility.

bbsam

Staff member
Why are you so angry? Was I right a couple weeks ago when I suggested you were jealous? No reason to be. You're glad to be out, remember?

bacha29

bbsam: Your remarks are exactly what I've been getting at all along. Day 1 contractors have seen too much when it comes to the brutal treatment Day 1 contractors experienced during the formulative years of RPS/FXG and no doubt that it influenced greatly their opinion of the company as well as having long memories. I could tell stories about the things they did to the Day 1 guys that will shock you. It's the contributions of those people who got things set up and going and therefore made it a lot easier for those who followed. You can't look down your nose at a Day 1 who has experienced the brutal mindset of a company who executives would betray their own mothers if it would add another penny to the EPS as well as a company whose unilaterally drafted and implemented contract binds it to nothing. With the company freely admitting that it does not uphold any provision of the contact except that which benefits them it's the truly smart contractor who gives them the minimum required and nothing more.

It will be fine

it's the truly smart contractor who gives them the minimum required and nothing more.
Lol. The truly smart contractors do nothing to expand their business? They drive a truck for 20 years until their body breaks down? They cry because they can't take days off at will? They fail to adapt to changing contractual and legal requirements? We must have different definitions of the term "truly smart."

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam: Your remarks are exactly what I've been getting at all along. Day 1 contractors have seen too much when it comes to the brutal treatment Day 1 contractors experienced during the formulative years of RPS/FXG and no doubt that it influenced greatly their opinion of the company as well as having long memories. I could tell stories about the things they did to the Day 1 guys that will shock you. It's the contributions of those people who got things set up and going and therefore made it a lot easier for those who followed. You can't look down your nose at a Day 1 who has experienced the brutal mindset of a company who executives would betray their own mothers if it would add another penny to the EPS as well as a company whose unilaterally drafted and implemented contract binds it to nothing. With the company freely admitting that it does not uphold any provision of the contact except that which benefits them it's the truly smart contractor who gives them the minimum required and nothing more.
Really bacha...

I'm a year 8 contractor and several of my routes were literally pieces of routes from "Day 1" contractors. Not because the company brutally wrested the areas away from them, but because they didn't want to hire a driver and put on a supplemental. They saw only risk and no reward. Myself, I didn't even see much reward but being a single route owner simply kind of bored me. Do I feel sorry for Day 1's? Absolutely not. Around here they were given every opportunity to grow if they so wanted.

We've all seen the company change (not all of it good) and any day 1's who didn't see this coming 8 to 10 years ago simply wasn't paying attention.

bacha29

They were paying full attention and they know the history regarding the company's
bad treatment of contractors. They are also perceptive enough to know that they don't have a leg to stand on in litigation. But first and foremost they know that those who fail to heed the lessons of history are condemed to repeat them. As for IWBF. Consider yourself very fortunate that there exists in your area people who for some inexplicable reason are willing to work for you. Go to Indeed.com and look at the contractors desperately looking nationwide for people willing to work for them. In many cases their pay is so low they are too embarressed to disclose it and the few who do disclose it have it tied to production quotas so high that no sane individual would try to make. It's the guy who chooses to grow without pausing long enough to realize that his enterprise has no legal foundation whatsoever is the person who is not paying attention. Once again it comes down to the printed word no matter how many times they pat you on the head and tell you what a good old boy you are while deceiving you with the claim that you actually matter.

bbsam

Staff member
They were paying full attention and they know the history regarding the company's
bad treatment of contractors. They are also perceptive enough to know that they don't have a leg to stand on in litigation. But first and foremost they know that those who fail to heed the lessons of history are condemed to repeat them. As for IWBF. Consider yourself very fortunate that there exists in your area people who for some inexplicable reason are willing to work for you. Go to Indeed.com and look at the contractors desperately looking nationwide for people willing to work for them. In many cases their pay is so low they are too embarressed to disclose it and the few who do disclose it have it tied to production quotas so high that no sane individual would try to make. It's the guy who chooses to grow without pausing long enough to realize that his enterprise has no legal foundation whatsoever is the person who is not paying attention. Once again it comes down to the printed word no matter how many times they pat you on the head and tell you what a good old boy you are while deceiving you with the claim that you actually matter.
So I went to indeed.com and the only driving jobs listed are line-haul positions. Not sure why you think advertising for drivers means their desperate though.

bacha29

No, No, No. Clearly you read only what you wanted to read. There are far more pleas for local p&d drivers than line haul. You not fooling anybody with your response. Like I said I wish you well and all I wish to do is ask that you use caution when deciding what to do in the future . I believe that the risks are much greater than you realize and the end the rewards you receive will pale miserably when compared to those realized by X, it's shareholders it's managers and executives. P.S. Advertising for help nationwide?It all comes down to two things. People obligating themselves to X to take on additional work and wrongly believeing that people will come runnng to go to work for them for what they have to offer.

bacha29

Hey IWBF. He already knew. He knows completely the trappings but in an effort to support and assist him I financed his purchase and told him that if he runs into trouble I would be willing to restructure the loan agreement to give him some relief if needed. We are located in a state that is expected to go ISP in the near future so while this kid takes no pleasure in adding additional routes he is planning on trying to do it even though his routes will be located nearly 100 miles apart from each other. In response to that fact I told the kid that if need be and since he plans on continuing to drive in a effort to pay down debt ASAP I'll go out and try to assist his guy who is in broke down , sick etc.

oldrps

Does FedEx write the contract for their benefit, of course. There is one thing I have learned about contracts over the years. Whoever writes the contract is the one that is protected. If you are signing a contract, terms of service, or any other agreement that someone else wrote, you are not the one being protected. If you do not read it and I mean read everything and understand it, you will regret it at some point.

The problem with the FedEx contract, when I worked there, is there is a lot to be interpreted by both sides during the day to day operations. The contract is broad and not specific for most of the day to day operations. The addendum for pay were specific, but the rest depending on your manager could be subject to interpretation. For example, vehicle appearance, a contractor may not think a few scratches and a bent bumper are that bad. FedEx is expecting a nearly perfect van even if it is over several years old. The contract does not specify exactly what the proper appearance should be. I am sure any contractor on here could find many other areas of the contract like this.

If you have a management team and regional management team that support the contractors, they have a better relationship and things work well. The flip side are the region/local management groups that want to control everything and that's when when being a contractor sucks. I used to see a lot of old Roadway management that liked control and held contractors back. If you started back in the RPS days, you had to have seen that. I know when I left, a lot of the old Roadway management had retired or left. Things were moving in the right direction, where I was at, for contractors. I am guessing not all areas purged out the old Roadway management style.

bacha29

Yes in stiches the risks do outweigh the rewards and because the risks outweighs the rewards I have done everything in my power to minimze those risks including getting this kid who was perfectly happy as a SRC but knew change is coming set up as far in adnavnce as possible giving him every advantage I had at my disposal. Hopefully he will make it.

instiches

Yes in stiches the risks do outweigh the rewards and because the risks outweighs the rewards I have done everything in my power to minimze those risks including getting this kid who was perfectly happy as a SRC but knew change is coming set up as far in adnavnce as possible giving him every advantage I had at my disposal. Hopefully he will make it.

You extended a loan to someone running an operation you deem to be far riskier than rewarding. So either you don't really believe that (because your money sure isn't talking that way) or you just made another bad business decision.

bacha29

instiches: The content of that young man's character which exceeds yours by a wide margin combined with the fact that the entire transaction was conducted in good faith something you very rarely saw with X is what inspired me to take this action. We'll never see you do anything like this for someone.