God is ruining the world

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
you've never read budha. their message is not similar . you're making this up as you go now.
My guess is you've not read Buddha at all.

If you strip the nonsense away, what's 'quoted' from both (which is likely apocryphal, but it's all we have) lines up quite nicely.
I have studied Buddhism quite a bit and I was impressed at the similarities to the messages from Jesus's words (ones in red).

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Very interesting since Buddhism started before Christianity.
Don't forget Zorosterism ... Even more than Buddha although not as much as the Ancient Egyptian religion.

However, i was speaking of the 'actual' sayings of Jesus.

You seem to be talking about the mythologies and liturgies of Christianity.

MAKAVELI

Don't forget Zorosterism ... Even more than Buddha although not as much as the Ancient Egyptian religion.

Buddhism is based on the life and teachings of Siddartha who came before Jesus. If The actual sayings of Jesus sound similar to Buddhism, they may not be entirely his own thoughts ideas.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Buddhism is based on the life and teachings of Siddartha who came before Jesus. If The actual sayings of Jesus sound similar to Buddhism, they may not be entirely his own thoughts ideas.

There's a theory that Jesus traveled to the east and studied buddhism. The gospels leave out any information about his life between around the ages of 12-30. The biggest similarities I see in the teachings of the two are about unburdening yourself of material concerns, and taking care of the poor. You can make the argument that salvation/drawing closer to God sounds similar to seeking enlightenment, but the paths to each taught by the two are different. Though if Jesus were talking about enlightenment, perhaps his teachings were designed to help others along their own paths. By accepting the gift of salvation, you are set free of the guilt of your sins, which is another burden and obstacle on the path to enlightenment.

Not saying I believe that, but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility.

Meat

I have studied Buddhism quite a bit and I was impressed at the similarities to the messages from Jesus's words (ones in red).

Impressed by the similarities? They’re diametrically opposed.

Christianity teaches that mankind is a fallen species that is inherently flawed. If you haven’t noticed, this has caused many people to hate themselves (some of which are on this site).

Buddhism teaches that people are inherently perfect, but this perfection is obscured by the three great toxins (greed, hatred and delusion).

Furthermore, Christianity has 10 “thou shall nots” (I concede they are a fairly sensible way to live your life) that are literally and figuratively written in stone, no room to apply your own empirical knowledge to life. The historical Buddha encouraged his followers to challenge the teachings by comparing the Dharma to their own experiences.

newfie

I think you folks want to speak to the flowers but not the vase that holds them.

the flowers , the flowery teachings have some similarities as most of these teachings from religious leaders do.

most religions speak against greed and lust and corruption in some form. the woe's of the human flesh so to speak.

the foundation of Jesus Christs message is completely different from buddhism.
buddhist do not believe in a personal god.
Buddhists believe reincarnation is possible. So if you did not learn lifes lessons adequately you can be reincarnated by Karma to try again.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Impressed by the similarities? They’re diametrically opposed.

Christianity teaches that mankind is a fallen species that is inherently flawed. If you haven’t noticed, this has caused many people to hate themselves (some of which are on this site).

Buddhism teaches that people are inherently perfect, but this perfection is obscured by the three great toxins (greed, hatred and delusion).

Furthermore, Christianity has 10 “thou shall nots” (I concede they are a fairly sensible way to live your life) that are literally and figuratively written in stone, no room to apply your own empirical knowledge to life. The historical Buddha encouraged his followers to challenge the teachings by comparing the Dharma to their own experiences.
Come on Stoop!
Read what you quoted.
I didn’t say :censored2: about Christianity.
Try again

Meat

Come on Stoop!
Read what you quoted.
I didn’t say :censored2: about Christianity.
Try again

I’m not sure if you can fully differentiate one from the other, but your response is fair enough, I suppose.

By the way, which Buddhist texts have you studied?

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

20180619_201748.jpg

BrownArmy

I’m not sure if you can fully differentiate one from the other, but your response is fair enough, I suppose.

By the way, which Buddhist texts have you studied?

It really sucked, by first foray into Buddhism in college was at 08:00 M W friend.

I'm not a morning person, and this professor did a 'slide-show' thing, lights off.

Not gonna lie, I went straight to sleep.

Serf

I admire how people in certain parts of the world are completely intune with religion in all facets of life. God fearing, Moral Authority. Etc. Certainly better than a rosy cheeked pudge with a fedora hat on blogging in a Starbucks about cake baking and separation of Church & State.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Let me tell you a story. About 10 years ago I was sitting in my driveway after work. It was wintertime and about 5 am. I had so.e really good smoke so I am toking up, listening to am sports talk radio. I felt a poke on my right arm. It freaked me out. It was like if you were sitting next to me and poked me. It freaked me out and I wasn't even high yet. When I realized nobody was there I knew it had to be God. I swear on my life this happened. I can't explain it. I was a Christian at the time BTW. I sat in stunned silence for a long time. I was so shook up about it I called in the next night. I didn't know what to do. Sometimes I still don't.
I want some of that weed. The medicinal stuff just isn't the same.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Called the Holy Spirit, it's the voice that kicks me in the ass after I post really stupid stuff here. The man is speaking the truth, maybe you will know someday. I make no claim of being a better human than anyone on this board, I do make the claim of being redeemed by Jesus, the Messiah, and stand before God blameless in His Son. Yeah there is a voice.
Yet you keep posting what some might say is stupid stuff. Aren't learning anything from those voices you hear?