God, Religion, Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons

tourists24

I feel like you're just talking past me on the origin of life thing. Evolution is not the origin of life, and evolutionary theory is not an explanation of the origin of life. Evolution is not "based on things having a common ancestry and evolving to more complex beings". All these misconceptions about evolution are part of the problem and they're so widespread that when someone tells you that they "don't believe in evolution" it's a pretty safe bet that they don't really understand what evolution is. If they tell you that the reason they don't believe in evolution is because it doesn't explain the origin of life it goes from being a safe bet to a certainty. Biological evolution is a change in the genetic characteristics of a population over time. That this happens is a fact. The theory of evolution describes the mechanisms that cause evolution. Saying that evolution is useless if it can't explain the origins of life is like saying that an umbrella is useless if you don't understand meteorology.
Talking about "adding genetic information" is a red herring regardless of whether or not it's possible because it's not part of evolutionary theory, nor is "a widget evolving into a dog". Sorting animals by "kind" is a creationist construct and is pretty inexact (what "kind" is a lemur for instance? Or a duck billed platypus?) If it works for you that's fine, but it's not the way that biologists look at the animal kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

I know it is Wikipedia, but here should be a fair explanation of what evolution is. If this is wrong then please let us know. From the studies I have done, evolution is very much "things" evolving from other things. At some point it has to be shown how a simple form evolves to higher form and that has to include adding genetic information to the DNA code at some point. Simply shifting of data or mutation cannot create a higher form of life. If this is not the case then how can evolution explain how humans are here today? And what is the exact path it took to get to this point. There should literally be thousands upon thousands of variations proven to show this. And what about every other kind of animal, plant, and object in existence today? If I am talking past you it is not on purpose. I must simply be very wrong about what Ive read about evolution and what it all involves, because in general people are being led to believe this is how we came to be here. It is being taught in my son's school to explain how we came to be here and how humans "evolved" from some ape-like beings.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

I know it is Wikipedia, but here should be a fair explanation of what evolution is. If this is wrong then please let us know. From the studies I have done, evolution is very much "things" evolving from other things. At some point it has to be shown how a simple form evolves to higher form and that has to include adding genetic information to the DNA code at some point. Simply shifting of data or mutation cannot create a higher form of life. If this is not the case then how can evolution explain how humans are here today? And what is the exact path it took to get to this point. There should literally be thousands upon thousands of variations proven to show this. And what about every other kind of animal, plant, and object in existence today? If I am talking past you it is not on purpose. I must simply be very wrong about what Ive read about evolution and what it all involves, because in general people are being led to believe this is how we came to be here. It is being taught in my son's school to explain how we came to be here and how humans "evolved" from some ape-like beings.
From the first line of the wikipedia article:
Evolution (also known as biological evolution, genetic evolution and organic evolution)[1][2] is the change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms through successive generations.
Which is essentially the same as the definition I gave earlier:
Biological evolution is a change in the genetic characteristics of a population over time.
There's nothing wrong (that I can see, keep in mind that I'm a truck driver :wink2:) with the wikipedia article, the problem is when you say things like this:
At some point it has to be shown how a simple form evolves to higher form and that has to include adding genetic information to the DNA code at some point. Simply shifting of data or mutation cannot create a higher form of life.
I don't know where you got that idea, I'm fairly certain that you didn't get it from studying evolutionary theory because evolutionary theory doesn't say that.
This is a pretty good article that addresses how evolution can lead to speciation, which if I'm reading your post correctly is what you're really skeptical about.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Poor guy, all that he has, and he turns his nose up at the giver.
633641924851437946-TheyseemerollinJealousyTheyhatin.jpg
633641924851437946-TheyseemerollinJealousyTheyhatin.jpg

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Re: United Way Intimidation

I, too, am Catholic and really don't appreciate the digs and sarcasm about my Holy Mother Church.

For those of you who love to cast stones at the Church, how about taking some time to actually learn what She teaches. You can find a searchable link to the Catechism of the Catholic Church at this link:

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

One of my favorite quotes from the late Archbishop Fulton Sheen, "There are not over a 100 people in the U.S. that hate the Catholic Church, there are millions however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is, of course, quite a different thing."

I am one of the 100. You see, I grew up in Catholic schools, Church every day except Saturday from 1st grade thru junior in high school(transfered to a public school senior year). I really find it amazing that full grown adults can buy into some of the rediculous teachings of the Catholic Church. At some point you must grow up and start thinking for your self and realize there is no way some of that stuff can be realy true!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I can change my beliefs if one of you "intelligent" chaps can create a human life out of a lump of clay. Any takers?

I will convert my beliefs when you show me the so called "Supreme Being" that can do this.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I am one of the 100. You see, I grew up in Catholic schools, Church every day except Saturday from 1st grade thru junior in high school(transfered to a public school senior year). I really find it amazing that full grown adults can buy into some of the rediculous teachings of the Catholic Church. At some point you must grow up and start thinking for your self and realize there is no way some of that stuff can be realy true!!
You mean the STUFF the church added so thet they would appear different? I hope that your bitterness for the Catholic church isn't what is blinding you from the TRUTH. So many people have grown up this way and have formed an opinion that this is what God is all about, and say, if that's the case, I want no part of THAT.

tourists24

I will convert my beliefs when you show me the so called "Supreme Being" that can do this.

People who believe in a "supreme being" do so by a faith that is obvious you dont accept. You have made that choice and it is what it is. But evolution is being taught as "fact" as a replacement to creation when it is based on a very similar faith. Sure it claims to use science to prove its point, but it cant explain how life or anything else began to start.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
People who believe in a "supreme being" do so by a faith that is obvious you dont accept. You have made that choice and it is what it is. But evolution is being taught as "fact" as a replacement to creation when it is based on a very similar faith. Sure it claims to use science to prove its point, but it cant explain how life or anything else began to start.
Bravo, T24, very well said!

I don't mind believing in evolution as long as the very first "speck" was created by God.
+1

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Chick-fil-A gives 92 Year Old WWII veteran free food for life

Big friend*ing Deal!
How about give it to a vet that's 40 years old!

But ... jk! :lol::lol::lol:
Seriously, that's a cool thing for Chick to do.

Ernie, a World War II veteran, first came to the restaurant about a year ago. He comes back nearly every day of the week.
Every visit, Ernie orders his chicken nugget kid’s meal with a root beer.
"It's the best root beer in town," said Ernie
While Ernie sits down to enjoy his meal, he's joined by other employees who take him up in conversation.

It will be fine

Chick-fil-A gives 92 Year Old WWII veteran free food for life

Big friend*ing Deal!
How about give it to a vet that's 40 years old!

But ... jk! :lol::lol::lol:
Seriously, that's a cool thing for Chick to do.

Ernie, a World War II veteran, first came to the restaurant about a year ago. He comes back nearly every day of the week.
Every visit, Ernie orders his chicken nugget kid’s meal with a root beer.
"It's the best root beer in town," said Ernie
While Ernie sits down to enjoy his meal, he's joined by other employees who take him up in conversation.
Good story, I’m in favor of assisted suicide. Glad to see Chick is helping this man kill himself by eating chicken nuggets daily.