God, Religion, Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: United Way Intimidation

First of all, what does this have to do with anything?
Secondly, how is it you know so much about so many things, simply by watching television shows?
I value your opinion, but if you knew half as much as you think you know, about everything, you would be on TV yourself.

He is--Klein is "The Biggest Loser".

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Not exactly ... a scientific fact (not sure I have heard this called a fact) has to be reproducible. Evolution is defined within the science community as a theory since it is deduced from, in this case, an overwhelming body of observable data which scientists classify as axioms.
Perhaps the word you are searching for is a postulate based on the axiomatic observations in the natural world.

It depends on the usage of the word, iirc. In science, empirical data can be seen as fact until better information and techniques are employed. Coming from a science background (meteorology), rarely an overwhelming body of evidence studied independently and drawing similar conclusions, is not seen as fact.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It depends on the usage of the word, iirc. In science, empirical data can be seen as fact until better information and techniques are employed. Coming from a science background (meteorology), rarely an overwhelming body of evidence studied independently and drawing similar conclusions, is not seen as fact.

A quasi-fact I guess.
You will agree though that "Evolution" is not a fact - it is a theory based on deductive reasoning from an overwhelming body of empirical, observable "facts"?

UnconTROLLed

perfection

A quasi-fact I guess.
You will agree though that "Evolution" is not a fact - it is a theory based on deductive reasoning from an overwhelming body of empirical, observable "facts"?

I really don't know enough to even agree or disagree regarding evolution. As far as I know it's just a theory so I'll agree.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Could it be that religion is the manifestation of mans inability to comprehend an end to...anything? Whether it be simple counting (infinity), space, or time, we instinctively and ituatively assume and create the next in the series. Religion is a great story, and as has already been said, a good way to enforce morality, I just don't see any proof. I wish I did, it would be a tremendous comfort. I hope it's true, religion, but have had enough training to know that's not faith, which dooms me anyway. I also recall in that training that faith can't be faked. So I don't waste my time trying.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

A quasi-fact I guess.
Actually, evolution (descent with modification) is accepted as a fact. Evolutionary theory is the explanation of how it works. In science a theory is an explanation, not a guess. In the same way gravity is an observable fact (we stick to the ground) and gravitational theory is an explanation of how and why. The same holds true for electrical theory, atomic theory, etc.

tieguy

Banned

Actually, evolution (descent with modification) is accepted as a fact. Evolutionary theory is the explanation of how it works. In science a theory is an explanation, not a guess. In the same way gravity is an observable fact (we stick to the ground) and gravitational theory is an explanation of how and why. The same holds true for electrical theory, atomic theory, etc.

in the sense that living organisms can evolve it is a scientific fact. The creation of the first life form from nothing is a theory at best.

klein

Für Meno :)

in the sense that living organisms can evolve it is a scientific fact. The creation of the first life form from nothing is a theory at best.

What did it take ? About 1200-1400 years after Christ, that civilization knew the world was round ?
They were mostly afraid to ship into sea too far, because they figured they would drop of the planet.

Why couldn't Jesus tell people way back then, how our planet really works and how it was built ?
Instead it was all prayer and some facts that don't even make sense.

tieguy

Banned

What did it take ? About 1200-1400 years after Christ, that civilization knew the world was round ?
They were mostly afraid to ship into sea too far, because they figured they would drop of the planet.

Why couldn't Jesus tell people way back then, how our planet really works and how it was built ?
Instead it was all prayer and some facts that don't even make sense.

I believe Jesus came here for a higher purpose then providing us with geography lessons.

The entertainment value of your logic is as always priceless.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

That's why Evolution and the Abiogenesis are considered separately. One is not dependent upon the other.

P

pickup

The Catholic Church is the only way to salvation. I believe in it with all my heart and anyone that gives any money to any other organization other than those of Catholic Chuch is wasting his money and possibly his salvation as well. There was a time that the Catholic Church used to be able to force people to join and donate and those were the good old days. Hopefully the good old days will come back again.

I don't want to hear any debate about it.

Pickup gets credit for starting this thread since he started the original thread down this wayward path. :devil3:

Please note well that I did also state that " I don't want to hear any debate about it". But those sillie dillies didn't listen.

Hoaxster, this is what "My god is better than your god thread" should have been like in terms of the ferocity of debate.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

semantics my friend evolution has come to be a catch all for both.
Evolutionary theory has never said anything about the origins of life, people may conflate the two but that's because they're making a mistake, not because evolution has become a catch all. Evolution would work exactly the same regardless of how life originated.

diesel96

A catholic priest can never marry or have a relationship, but are forced to masturbate their entire life long, and you need to wonder what they fantasize about, when doing so ?
Some pretty women church goers or the small innocent children that go to church ?

Since your on a need to know basis, next time I go to confession, I'll have to throw that back to Father O'Malley, and give him multple choice answers. A)Mother Teresa B)Pamela Sue Anderson C)Altar Boys.....

"Whats this then ?, and not too long ago, made world wide news !

Mormon wives to defend their plural marriages"

The ones with multiple wives are not the mainstream Mormon (LDS) church. They are 'splinter' groups called Fundamentalists that still practice polygamy. It is illegal and not endorsed by the Morman Church, but they do it anyway........they make child brides too!!:dissapointed:

Wow Moreluck, that's what we've been trying to tell you about the Muslims. Why is it you cut Mormons slack, but not the Towel-Heads. :osama: (Sorry for the derogatory name folks. Just speaking in Conservative mainstream language....)

First of all, I won't leave the confines of the good old USA. Why go to the plaza in Rome??? To have my pockets picked? The only rules that apply to Catholics in the US are the Catholic rules in the USA and that's all I care about! If I was to appear like magic in the plaza in Rome on a Friday, I'd have a Fatburger & Fat Fries to eat at the fountain.

USA ! USA ! USA ! Miracle on Ice ! Do you think God wanted the USA :fan:to beat the Russians in hockey in 1980 ?
There's something so wrong about that statement in bold print, yet I must admire your Patriotism. Your I-Pod must be filled with Lee Greenwood and Toby Kieth recordings, and your clothes and linen closets filled with nothing but red, white, and blue....and your steadfast refusal to call fat fries/freedom fries.....french fries.....:foamfinger: As Fox New's Sean Hannity says to you everynight as you melt like butta(er) in front of the TV like a teenage Teeny-Bopper, "Your a great American".....:wink2:

Klein pay attention now. At one point there was no bacteria or any other life form

then life was created on this planet. Us :censored2: religious nuts think it was done so by a higher life form.
we call him god amongst many other names.

your side of the equation believes life somehow evolved from a non-living substand. Bacteria would a living organism.

My challenge is for you to convert me to your twisted logic by you demonstrating how to create life out of clay.

dont dance now my puppet take the challenge straight on.

can you do it?

Clay Facts
If you put it into one big pile, the total amount of Play-Doh compound manufactured since 1956 would weigh about as much as 2,000 Statues of Liberty.

If you extruded the same compound through a Fun Factory, it would make a rope that could stretch from the Earth to the moon about 10 times. Living bacteria and space plankton can then enter on the clay rope bridge to nowhere....Thank you, my answer was inspired by the school of thought of Sarah Palin.....:wink2: :wink2: wink wink

Seriously Tie, Many people believe that man was created from dirt and clay based on teachings from the Bible in Genesis (2:4-25). Though this belief is based on our faith alone, and not any scientific evidence.

Sidenote.... the subspecies Homo sapiens (modern humans) evolved from Homo sapiens, and from other ancestors in the Homo genus. (Does that make me gay?) Is that where the Adam and StEVE joke evolved from ?

Faith test....

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but the first modern humans evolved in Africa over two hundred thousand years ago, and we can be sure their skins were black. Science tells us that white people were not 'created', they evolved to have light coloured skins in Europe, because light coloured skins could take best advantage of the weak sunshine. You hearing me my soul brother. I schooled ya...lol

Adam and Eve were probably not white and the Bible does not say they were. They were most likely a pale-brown color. However, whatever color they actually were, their DNA contained all that was needed for all the present colors of the world to be expressed. There is very little genetic difference between the 'races' of the world.

I recently watched a Scooby Doo episode and feel cheated that dogs really can't talk and that humans, when making a sudden stop from running, don't actually make a screaching sound.

They were wrong then, do you admit that?

Yes, and as a Scooby fan it's most dissappointing in real life when the bad guys are caught, they don't really wear a mask so we can all see who the real culprit is like in classic mystery Scooby Doo endings......Rut Row ! :cool_dog:

moreluck

golden ticket member
"....appear like magic in the plaza in Rome on a Friday, I'd have a Fatburger & Fat Fries to eat at the fountain.USA ! USA ! USA ! Miracle on Ice ! Do you think God wanted the USA :fan:to beat the Russians in hockey in 1980 ?
There's something so wrong about that statement in bold print, yet I must admire your Patriotism. Your I-Pod must be filled with Lee Greenwood and Toby Kieth recordings, and your clothes and linen closets filled with nothing but red, white, and blue....and your steadfast refusal to call fat fries/freedom fries.....french fries.....:foamfinger: As Fox New's Sean Hannity says to you everynight as you melt like butta(er) in front of the TV like a teenage Teeny-Bopper, "Your a great American".....:wink2:"

Actually, Hannity's quote is "Let not your heart be troubled." be accurate.

Secondly, If I'm at Fatburger, their "steak fries" are called Fat Fries (it's on the menu board)

3. I don't own an I-Pod. The only 'listening' device I have is my CD player in my car and it's been married to Bobby Darin since I got it on '05 and it's faithful!!

I don't cut the Mormons slack.....their 'splinter groups' are illegal. Sharia Law is animalistic. The problem is that the Koran has all this crap in it. All the Muslims follow the Koran, so I'm against their beliefs. They might live in this world, but I distance myself from them.

P

pickup

pickup.....could you please explain the last 3 terms in the thread title? Merriam-Webster showed nothing.

My dear, you will have to ask Hoaxster as he is the one the that created the title of this thread when he ARBITRARILY split this thread off from its mother thread. Good luck getting an answer from him, he can be very evasive!

I just googled the last three terms and this is what I got:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wampeters,_Foma_and_Granfalloons