Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

Cowboy Mac

I think last year it was a mandatory workday for me so I came in. I can't argue with that pay rate. Then again, they tried to tell me Christmas Eve was mandatory. But nobody said anything when I didn't come in...

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I think last year it was a mandatory workday for me so I came in. I can't argue with that pay rate. Then again, they tried to tell me Christmas Eve was mandatory. But nobody said anything when I didn't come in...
I'm sure all your coworkers that showed up wondered why you thought you were so gosh darn special

Cowboy Mac

I'm sure all your coworkers that showed up wondered why you thought you were so gosh darn special

I'm sure the new guys did. Most of the senior guys know that Christmas Eve is a holiday and that management are a bunch of liars. I would have been happy to come in and take the extra pay, had it not been for my family being in town. Christmas is just one of those times where Id rather just spend it with family

clean hairy

Naw, I'm just not as miserable as most people I encounter, here and at work. I don't get in any hurry but I keep a good pace, this job is what you make of it. If you make it out to be some sort of prison sentence then you'll be miserable your entire time here. I enjoy what I do, take my time doing it, and keep myself in shape to make sure I can do it for 30 years.
I will work it and take the extra $$

upschuck

I will be on vacation.

(I love being #2 on the seniority list)
upload_2015-8-21_21-29-30.png

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Seems this is going to be a normal work day now. Yay for this.

I noticed back in January it wasn't listed as a holiday on the UPS corporate calendar.

I'd be a little surprised if they're as wide open with it this year as they were in 2014; ie. only allowing part-timers with personal holidays to take it off, running every route in package/feeders, etc. All of that overtime/double time + holiday pay ain't cheap and the share holders were pissy when the results from 4Q were released.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I noticed back in January it wasn't listed as a holiday on the UPS corporate calendar.

I'd be a little surprised if they're as wide open with it this year as they were in 2014; ie. only allowing part-timers with personal holidays to take it off, running every route in package/feeders, etc. All of that overtime/double time + holiday pay ain't cheap and the share holders were pissy when the results from 4Q were released.
How long you worked here???!!!! You know damn well they will do the same stupid ish!!!!!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

ups.com has a list of the zip codes that will not be serviced on that day.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
ups.com has a list of the zip codes that will not be serviced on that day.

Looks like its probably going to go "back to normal" (or close to it) for package then. The volume was definitely there in the hubs, from what I saw last year. (300k+ on the sort that night last year and an almost 8 hour day for the PT'ers on a single shift).