Good? Friday

Overpaid Union Thug

Several of us brought back stops because a 10.5 day gets a driver a warning letter. Its funny because they dispatched a bunch of us with 11 hour days and then went into a panic around 4pm trying to figure out how to get everyone in before 8:00. The most pathetic thing about all this is how certain drivers get babied and go out with a normal day's work while the rest are loaded up like it's peak. Screw that. I say don't worry about pandering to those guys. Let them do their jobs like everyone else.

tieguy

Banned
They cut the baseline and then added it at the last minute here. It was unusually heavy this friday. The 5 routes in my loop were "in the red" or over their max stop count.

My question becomes "why not just plan to include the baseline?" The dispatch sup. must know at 4 A.M. that the volume will warrant the extra route.

Why not have the preload load the extra route? Instead, they have 6 or 7 drivers drop 10-20 stops on the belt for the added driver to load after 830.

To me, this debacle will wipe out any cost gains by cutting the route or adding the route. I call it a debacle because we now have 7-8 drivers wasting 10 minutes each transfering the work. Then the driver recieving the work is wasting an hour just getting his work and setting it up.

What is the center team afraid of? To me, it appears they are trigger shy. They don't want to add the route for fear of it being too light. Problem with that is the technology can tell them it will be heavy and it can't be stated that they didn't know the volume was coming.

What I'm trying to say is in the spirit of saving money UPS shoots itself in the foot. At least, they do it in my center.

If it were my own business I wouldn't tolerate these practices from my managers. If I were a center manager, an extra driver would be put on road only to make service on business packages that would otherwise be missed.

My thinking is I would rather have 5 drivers at 10 hours or add the baseline from the beginning instead of building a route on-road. Think about the money wasted in this instance?

Think about it for a second. Our drivers are "supervised" for 3 days at a time somedays. On these rides, the sup. is looking for seconds in our routine to save time. I understand this. If the sup saves 5-10 seconds at each stop, the savings can be significant when added over 170 stops.

I agree with that logic, but that all goes out the window when UPS adds a route "on-road".

Just think of the waste in this case! OJS' are looking to cut seconds yet UPS managemet allows minutes of OT to be wasted transfering work?

I say either add the route on the pre-load or cut it and keep it cut. When you add a driver at the last minute UPS is only shooting itself in the foot.

The driver meeting other drivers to take work will negatively affect all drivers across the board. What am I missing?

I think you have a lot of good questions and ideas you should pass on to the preload manager or dispatch sup.

P

pickup

I had an 8 hour request. Punched off at 5:30 and it was a great day. Got to take my lunch and breaks on the shore of Lake Erie playing the guitar.

thread hijack alert. I see in your avatar you are playing a banjo (it looks like a 4 string one). And as you mention above , you were playing a guitar(six string instrument). Is it hard jumping back and forth from one to the other? I can safely assume that for any given chord (for example:a C chord) , the fingering position would be one way for the guitar, and another for the banjo. Do you find yourself sometimes doing the wrong position sometimes? I play the guitar by the way, but not the banjo so I am just curious.

Do you have one of those backpack guitars for your package car (small, no large body) so that it doesn't take up too much room?

UPSNewbie

thread hijack alert. I see in your avatar you are playing a banjo (it looks like a 4 string one). And as you mention above , you were playing a guitar(six string instrument). Is it hard jumping back and forth from one to the other? I can safely assume that for any given chord (for example:a C chord) , the fingering position would be one way for the guitar, and another for the banjo. Do you find yourself sometimes doing the wrong position sometimes? I play the guitar by the way, but not the banjo so I am just curious.

Do you have one of those backpack guitars for your package car (small, no large body) so that it doesn't take up too much room?

I can play a violin (4 strings), but not a guitar.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
you never know that blank look may be thier realizing that there is a better way of doing things:happy-very:

I think you have a lot of good insight , hope you can find someone that listens.
We all know the all-knowing mystery bosses in hotlanta tell the lower operations how many cars they can run,, your center manager and onroads really have no say in it,, they are told to implement the said plan, and when it fails its still there fault..........

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Many of the front line supes and managers realize there is a better and more efficient way to do things. The people above will not let them. As Soberups says, they are not capable of independent thought. It's too bad. I think a non-aggravated work force would do a better job of trying to help grow the business. IMO mgmnt decisions have done a lot more to lose us business than any amount of sales leads can recover. There is not always a press release when a customer moves to a competitor. Most just quietly move on to a provider that has their needs in mind.

helenofcalifornia

Sad but true that management and their inane decisions have lost a ton of accounts. I have many pissed off customers who are now getting their stuff later in the day because UPS has combined two routes and I suddenly have 30-40 more business stops each day. One look at Fedex and their cheaper rates....GONE! Noone cares but the driver.

browniehound

I think you have a lot of good questions and ideas you should pass on to the preload manager or dispatch sup.

Thanks Tie, but what do you think? What would you tolerate if it were your center?

As a driver, I enjoy the extra help. If I were a shareholder I might think differently. If it were my center I would be adamant about either cutting the route or adding the route before the preload ends.

I would not allow 190 stops to be transferred between 8 drivers making $43 an hour when I can have the entire route loaded or cut by 1 preload employee making$9.50 an hour or less than $40 for her entire shift.

Here is an scene you might enjoy! On two mondays in the last six weeks every driver had 15-25 stops on their car that were not in EDD. It was 7 add/cuts that never got added or cut to a route that existed in EDD but didn't exist on a package car. Do you follow me?

A driver was "summoned" from the cover driver ranks and proceeded to get EDD for this route. It existed because he downloaded 190 stops that ran in trace on his DIAD. Problem was, the packages were on 7 other driver's trucks and everyone had left the building:happy2:.

It gets better. We all got a message with meetpoints for this cover driver. He came out with the add/cut tickets and each of us had to search our fully loaded package cars for these specifically identified parcels.

This happened at about 1040. Can you imagine the time it takes to search a package car loaded with 300+ parcels for 15 stops? Of course you can't find 1 or 2 and spend another 5 minutes digging for these two parcels. At what point in our search for the missing parcels does it become more efficent or just easier for ME to deliver the entire 15 stops?

I can do 15 residential stops in less than 30 minutes on most of my area. My guess is when all was said and done it took 15 minutes to find and transfer the work. Add the 10 minutes it took the other driver to meet me and it looks UPS is paying the extra driver for nothing. This excludes the fuel wasted. What about the fuel?

Does anyone else experience such waste at their centers? Can you believe this happened at UPS? To me, it sounds like something that would happen at DHL. If it were your company, would you allow these practices to continue?

I would love to hear a logical explanation for this?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Yes, it's Good Friday and not spring fling or any other name you want to make it.......Yesterday was Holy Thursday and Sunday is Easter Sunday...deal with it !! :peaceful:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Almost everyone I meet yesterday has today off, considering the traffic was very heavy last night , it's sunny & very warm today I expect to have a very light day.

tieguy

Banned
We all know the all-knowing mystery bosses in hotlanta tell the lower operations how many cars they can run,, your center manager and onroads really have no say in it,, they are told to implement the said plan, and when it fails its still there fault..........

Some numbers are fixed some are not. Your center manager does have input into the planning process. Once the plan is set your management team is expected to follow it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Yes, it's Good Friday and not spring fling or any other name you want to make it.......Yesterday was Holy Thursday and Sunday is Easter Sunday...deal with it !! :peaceful:

Did you ever work 11 hours on good friday? I didn't think so. Anyway, I was done in under 9 and quite shocked.