Good Grief

STFXG

If you're only making 25k a year you shouldn't have 2 kids. And if you do then your wife should be working to supplement your income.

vantexan

If you're only making 25k a year you shouldn't have 2 kids. And if you do then your wife should be working to supplement your income.

There are many scenarios that could result in this. A couple could have lost their jobs in this economy, moved to be near family, he managed to get Ground job, she's still looking for something that will allow her to take care of kids when they aren't in school. Or many variations thereof. Human lives tend to be a lot messier than efficient corporations shaped by the marketplace.

LTFedExer

I'm talking about any job, not just FedEx. But concerning FedEx, looks pretty soon that one might land a PT job but have little chance to go FT, except maybe as a swing. That may be fine for some folks, but most people I've known are looking for a FT job that'll allow them to buy a house, buy a car they actually want, raise kids, educate them, have a few nice things, take a few vacations, and retire with some semblance of dignity. Guess they'll just have to do without. It's enough to know that their bosses will have enough to do that and then some. For generations.
I agree that $19K isn't a lot. But, if you've ever spoken to people that lost their job for 1 reason or another, they'd jump at the chance to make even $19K. Those are the ones I'm speaking of. I believe most of the people your speaking of are the younger generation. As a whole though...and there are many exceptions, they don't want to actually do physical labor.
We don't "GET" benefits, we get the opportunity to "PURCHASE" benefits.

Take a look at Anthem, or Cigna's regular website, you can purchase nearly the identical plans for the same or less money than FedEx charges. Of course the exact same plan isn't available, otherwise folks would be able to tell how much we are getting screwed.
I forget if you work for a contractor or not. But, I'm speaking of the people actually employed by FedEx.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You get attacked because you are obnoxious. If you love your job, fine, but don't tell people they don't have any reason to be disgruntled.

What about those who say that anyone who doesn't hate his job is [fill in the blank]? There's way more of that and it goes on unaddressed.

Express Courier

The thing that sucks about this place is it's pretty much the only place to chat online with people that have the same job as you do. I originally came here to do just that but it seems if someone makes any positive comments or hell, just a normal question about the job that person is pretty much attacked or told they're dumb in one way or the other. I know there are some legit reasons for some to be angry but to constantly come here and just rip the company and anyone who doesn't have any major issues with FedEx to get ripped as well is just really annoying imo. I know for a fact some won't post here for fear of being attacked or not wanting to see constant negativity from a handful of posters. Just stating the obvious I guess. I come online to chat about my interests, specifically job related here, not be constantly beaten over the head with the same negative posts every day.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

There are many scenarios that could result in this. A couple could have lost their jobs in this economy, moved to be near family, he managed to get Ground job, she's still looking for something that will allow her to take care of kids when they aren't in school. Or many variations thereof. Human lives tend to be a lot messier than efficient corporations shaped by the marketplace.

No kidding! Do you have any clue how much childcare costs? It's insane! I also really enjoy it when others pop off with comments such as "if you make $25k a year, you shouldn't have 2 kids..." uumm...life happens no matter what Uncle Fred tells you. Try being FT and barely making enough with 2 incomes to pay your bills. S*&t adds up quick when one of the kids or Fred forbid, one of the parents, gets sick....and it's also great having a job that only "allows" you 35 hours a week now, overtime is a precious commodity these days. So if I make $25k a year, do I sell a kid? Like to see how Mama will take that one.

STFXG

It's not popping off. It's speaking in generalities. You're talking specifics.

Simply put. If you are only making 25k a year and your wife isn't working then you can't afford kids and you shouldn't be having them. It's called personal responsibility.

I'm not talking about situations where you are able to afford kids and something happens to where things go bad. That's different and that's specifics.

I know how much child care costs. Mine costs me $60 a day per kid.

GoodGrief

No kidding! Do you have any clue how much childcare costs? It's insane! I also really enjoy it when others pop off with comments such as "if you make $25k a year, you shouldn't have 2 kids..." uumm...life happens no matter what Uncle Fred tells you. Try being FT and barely making enough with 2 incomes to pay your bills. S*&t adds up quick when one of the kids or Fred forbid, one of the parents, gets sick....and it's also great having a job that only "allows" you 35 hours a week now, overtime is a precious commodity these days. So if I make $25k a year, do I sell a kid? Like to see how Mama will take that one.

"Uncle Fred" will pay for your education, take advantage of it and go learn to do something that pays more than 25K a year. Only you can change your situation, instead of constant whining, do something about it.

vantexan

The thing that sucks about this place is it's pretty much the only place to chat online with people that have the same job as you do. I originally came here to do just that but it seems if someone makes any positive comments or hell, just a normal question about the job that person is pretty much attacked or told they're dumb in one way or the other. I know there are some legit reasons for some to be angry but to constantly come here and just rip the company and anyone who doesn't have any major issues with FedEx to get ripped as well is just really annoying imo. I know for a fact some won't post here for fear of being attacked or not wanting to see constant negativity from a handful of posters. Just stating the obvious I guess. I come online to chat about my interests, specifically job related here, not be constantly beaten over the head with the same negative posts every day.

Fine with me, but when a new poster comes on here complaining about us grumpy old men or that if we have any backbone we'll stop complaining here, etc then they are likely to get attacked. I've told a couple of directors in meetings about pay unfairness, plus plenty of seniors and ops mgrs. In one ear, out the other. I've also questioned and been critical of some of the popular posters here. I can't speak for everyone but for myself I don't see the company as completely bad and certainly not the wonderful place some make it out to be. If they do something right I'll say so. But considering my experiences with bad mgrs, the company's overall direction, and what they've done to us, or are about to do, I see very little to be positive about. If you've been thrilled so far with them, will you still feel the same when you are struggling to get by as they post record profits? Given our inability to form a union, this forum and very few other places are our only outlets to say how we feel without getting a target on our back. So jump on, criticize, laugh at, snicker, whatever, we're going to keep on doing what we're doing.

vantexan

"Uncle Fred" will pay for your education, take advantage of it and go learn to do something that pays more than 25K a year. Only you can change your situation, instead of constant whining, do something about it.

And he can then join the millions looking for a good job. And why is pointing out what's going on whining?

vantexan

I agree that $19K isn't a lot. But, if you've ever spoken to people that lost their job for 1 reason or another, they'd jump at the chance to make even $19K. Those are the ones I'm speaking of. I believe most of the people your speaking of are the younger generation. As a whole though...and there are many exceptions, they don't want to actually do physical labor.

OK, I'm going to do what you always do..."And you know this how?". It's a matter of ethics as I see it. If you are an employer who can pay better, but don't because the economy's bad and there are plenty looking for work, are you morally wrong to do so? I say yes and if companies who could actually paid better I think you'd see an improving economy that creates more jobs.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

So what you're saying is, it's NOT ok to expect to make a living at one job when you're a long term full time employee? I'm sorry, but where I stand that is a reasonable expectation. I live almost like vantexan does, minus the bike and I do have kids. Have to keep the truck that uses too much gas since it's paid for and I live too far away from anything. And I also have almost no bills now, and yet I still have to scrape to get by...if it weren't for BC here, I'd have no entertainment. Silly me for thinking it's ok to want to work just one job when I now have all this extra time on my hands.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Actually, Tuition Refund has become so restrictive that many educational costs are "ineligible". When they revamped the benefit a few years ago, they eliminated a lot of opportunities for many employees. Thanks again, Fred!!

vantexan

Actually, Tuition Refund has become so restrictive that many educational costs are "ineligible". When they revamped the benefit a few years ago, they eliminated a lot of opportunities for many employees. Thanks again, Fred!!

Had a coworker tell me his nursing major wasn't covered by Tuition Refund. He was denied, told it wasn't a work related major.

Necropostophiliac

No, it's because I'm 6'2", 290 lbs, with only a little bit of fat around the stomach. Takes work to keep this body going!
arnold03.jpg