Good Grief

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I am sharp enough to realize that I am lucky to be employed, to be able to pay my bills, have a roof over my head and food on the table. Have health insurance and vacation. Have my education paid for if I choose to go back to school. I can go on.....not everyone has that. But maybe you're not sharp enough to realize it.

Thank you, Fred!!!

Mr Fedex

Banned
You don't have any friends from previous schools/jobs?

Someone who spends their day sitting in a cubicle somewhere in Shelby County TN, not doing anything real productive, feeling that they are "better" than those who work for the same company busting their butts for next to nothing, worrying if they are going to be eventually be "found out" and offered a buy out or worse yet - a pink slip.
And why would you want to stay in contact with these people if you hated them and the company?

Ricochet1a

Looked it up. HHS sets the poverty level for 1 person at $11170 in the contiguous 48 states. Don't know what payscale you are looking at but for the lowest payscale I think, but not sure, that starting pay is $14.46hr. $14.46 X 17.5(part-time minimum) X 52 weeks(no vacation first year) minus taxes, minus health care, equals ?. I'm assuming $11170 is take-home.

So let me ask? If a fellow is above the poverty rate, say making $19k a year, does he have a quality life? If you have a job that makes absolutely no demands on you but only pays $19k a year and you are content with that more power to you. A job that has you running constantly, dealing with the public, dealing with traffic, dealing with weather, being constantly psychologically prodded by mgmt, making constant demands on your free time and holidays, should pay considerably more. That it pays a PTer a bit above the poverty line is nothing to be proud of.

All sources of income, EXCLUDING non-cash food stamps, housing benefits and capital gains (yes, capital gains...), are used to determine poverty. This generally means the figure is GROSS income. Since EIC is applied as a cash rebate of FICA payments, actual income would be greater.

Family of 3 in 2011 poverty level is just over $18,000. So one of Fred's step-children working for $500 a week is 38% above the poverty line.

And Fred sleeps quite well.... and the taxpayers foot the bill for the foodstamps and Medicaid.

Isn't FedEx just a swell corporate citizen???

Ricochet1a

And why would you want to stay in contact with these people if you hated them and the company?

Because:

1. I feel for my former co-workers who are getting screwed.

2. I never said I hated my friends, I hated what the company I worked for, did to them and would've done to me if I hadn't gotten out.

3. Having friends in Memphis that feel the same way I do about FedEx is the best source of informaton there is in trying to get the wage employees to figure out that they are being screwed, that it isn't accidental (like some seem to suggest), that there isn't any sympathy from executive management in regards to their situation, and they had better do something about it before Fred is able to finish his business on them and tosses them out to the curb.

4. Because many of the new hires don't realize what is going on, and if they listen to the likes of you, they'll be blinded to how much of a screw job they are receiving and will end up thinking that they'll "top out" in 10 or 15 years when the real answer is NEVER.

GoodGrief

Ok, enough fun for one day. Early morning so I can go sit in my cubicle doing nothing all day and make a fortune. Drive careful everyone. Have a good night.

Ricochet1a

I am sharp enough to realize that I am lucky to be employed, to be able to pay my bills, have a roof over my head and food on the table. Have health insurance and vacation. Have my education paid for if I choose to go back to school. I can go on.....not everyone has that. But maybe you're not sharp enough to realize it.

And I am thankful in the fact that I am NOT beholden to any employer, that I can take my professional skills and apply them with any employer that is willing to pay me what I am worth, that I am responsible for providing the roof over my head (not my employers good graces). I could go on, but not everyone is sharp enough to realize that they shouldn't be beholden to an employer for their existance - and if they are, they are owned more than they realize.

And for those who work for a wage, having a contract that governs the terms of their employment is the best thing they can do to not end up being beholden to the good nature of Fred, but rather trusting in the legal terms of that contract to ensure they are not owned by the corporation for which they provide their labor. But unfortunately, most wage employees aren't sharp enough to realize that, yet.

Ricochet1a

Oops, right. First thing that popped into my head about Aurora, IL was Wayne and Garth, not MT3.

Maybe they ought to start calling Frontline, Matt's World...

From what I hear, he has his own little world he is living in - and expects those in Express to not alter his "vision".

Ricochet1a

LOL. I wonder if he waves his hands in the airplane too? I hope someone gets a video.

I'll try to find out if one of the Falcons is fitted with a large mirror in the passenger cabin...

He'd get a good hours worth of practice in, at least twice a week in most instances (into Memphis and back out)

Glorifiedpackmule

All sources of income, EXCLUDING non-cash food stamps, housing benefits and capital gains (yes, capital gains...), are used to determine poverty. This generally means the figure is GROSS income. Since EIC is applied as a cash rebate of FICA payments, actual income would be greater.

Family of 3 in 2011 poverty level is just over $18,000. So one of Fred's step-children working for $500 a week is 38% above the poverty line.

And Fred sleeps quite well.... and the taxpayers foot the bill for the foodstamps and Medicaid.

Isn't FedEx just a swell corporate citizen???

Wow.. While I haven't been with the company as long as some I can tell you that I've been a courier for more than 5 years and am making only cents more than a new hire. I had no idea It was that bad. Less than 3 quarters separates me from
A new hire. That's a kick in the face.

Ricochet1a

Wow.. While I haven't been with the company as long as some I can tell you that I've been a courier for more than 5 years and am making only cents more than a new hire. I had no idea It was that bad. Less than 3 quarters separates me from
A new hire. That's a kick in the face.

Most Couriers with less than about 8 years are making less than a dollar an hour more than a new hire.

This is the trend of Express, only giving adjustments for inflation, and keeping actual compensation (the value of compensation after inflation) at a constant or declining slightly (witness the pension takeaway, the erosion in health care benefits).

There is no incentive to stay with Express (for someone with less than 8 years), other than having a job. In the past, quitting meant losing pay progression if one was out for more than 2 years (still applies). Difference now though, someone with less than 8 years quitting would make no difference if they chose to come back for some reason - the rate of pay they'd come back in with would virtually be the same as if they had stayed.

And many still don't see the trend that has been deliberately established.

Glorifiedpackmule

Most Couriers with less than about 8 years are making less than a dollar an hour more than a new hire.

This is the trend of Express, only giving adjustments for inflation, and keeping actual compensation (the value of compensation after inflation) at a constant or declining slightly (witness the pension takeaway, the erosion in health care benefits).

There is no incentive to stay with Express (for someone with less than 8 years), other than having a job. In the past, quitting meant losing pay progression if one was out for more than 2 years (still applies). Difference now though, someone with less than 8 years quitting would make no difference if they chose to come back for some reason - the rate of pay they'd come back in with would virtually be the same as if they had stayed.

And many still don't see the trend that has been deliberately established.

I guess they've figured that all of these couriers making 24 dollars an hour will retire, be fired, or leave for health reasons sometime in the near future. That will leave the majority of the couriers left all making basiclly nothing more than the new hire off the street.

Ricochet1a

I guess they've figured that all of these couriers making 24 dollars an hour will retire, be fired, or leave for health reasons sometime in the near future. That will leave the majority of the couriers left all making basiclly nothing more than the new hire off the street.

BINGO!!!