Google is watching you (for the police)

Babagounj

Strength through joy
When traveling , in my 20 year old vehicle, I keep my cell phone on at home , use only a burner phone , avoid tolls roads and pay with cash.

El Correcto

god is dead
They are definitely walking a tight rope of abusing privacy and doing good for the community.

“Serial Killer Caught By His Own Internet Footprint

By Peter Shinkle - St. Louis Post-Dispatch

June 17. 2002

When the FBI and police tracked down suspected serial killer Maury Troy Travis, they didn't need bloodhounds, lab tests, fingerprints or other standard tools of criminal investigations.

Instead, agents simply tapped into the wealth of information that Microsoft Corp. and other Internet companies keep on people who visit their Web sites and use their services.

The stunning breakthrough in what had seemed a difficult case underscored why such information is a valuable resource for police -- and sometimes a concern for civil libertarians.​

I remember learning about this case and thinking it was nuts they could bust this guy the way they did. They also busted BTK because he wasn’t tech savvy, something about a floppy disc and his church computer.

El Correcto

god is dead
how so??? It’s the truth. I’m sure the gov has bigger problems then some random guy like myself.
Sorry but I’m always going to be skeptical of police state apparatuses.
There are some cases like the one I highlighted above, a :censored2:ing serial killer murdering women or pedophile rings molesting children and creating content out of it, but they should always have a damn good reason like what’s above to request the information.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Sorry but I’m always going to be skeptical of police state apparatuses.
There are some cases like the one I highlighted above, a :censored2:ing serial killer murdering women or pedophile rings molesting children and creating content out of it, but they should always have a damn good reason like what’s above to request the information.

i don’t see it as a big deal. The gov is supposed to protect us. They should have the right to monitor its citizens for possible threats.

rickyb

i don’t see it as a big deal. The gov is supposed to protect us. They should have the right to monitor its citizens for possible threats.
i do. the govt can protect us but actually views its citizens as its biggest threat. snowden warned us but the right wing and left wing didnt get together to fight it.