GOP leader Eric Cantor loses in shock Tea Party defeat

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
republican.jpg

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Allison Grimes Tops Turtle McConnell 49%-46% in New Shocking Poll!

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) might have won an easy primary against Tea Party nut Matt Bevin, but he’s going to have a significantly harder time against his Democratic challenger. According to a recent poll, Alison Lundergan Grimes is ahead of McConnell, 49% to 46% right now. Politicus USA reports that despite the millions he’s spent on his campaign thus far, McConnell hasn’t been able to whittle away at Grimes’s lead at all.

grimes-mcconnell.jpg

Mitch McConnell might have easily beaten that Tea Party nut case in the primary, but now he faces a tough race against Democratic challenger Alison Grimes.

40% of the poll’s respondents were Republican, and 56% were Democrats. 4% were independent. 60% disapprove of the job President Obama is doing, but 49% would vote for Grimes over McConnell if the election were held today, while 5% said they were undecided. 96% of the poll’s respondents said they were either extremely likely or very likely to vote this November.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor was ousted earlier this week, which was a major shocker for pretty much everyone. According to The Atlantic, that hasn’t happened since 1899, when the position was invented. We would truly have had an interesting November if McConnell had lost his primary too, but whether Bevin would have beaten Grimes is another story. We don’t need more Tea Party nuts in Congress.

Grimes has a powerful supporter on her side in Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA). Warren recently blasted McConnell for voting against her student loan relief bill, which failed to overcome a filibuster by 56-38. According to The Huffington Post, Warren said to MSNBC’s Chris Matthews:

“One way I’m going to start fighting back is I’m going to go down to Kentucky and I’m going to campaign for Alison Lundergan Grimes,” Warren said. “She’s tough, she’s feisty, she endorsed the student loan bill, said she wanted to bring down interest rates for Kentuckians. [...] So my view is I’m going to get out there and try to make this happen for her.”

The primary fight between Grimes and McConnell looks like it’ll be about the future of the coal industry. Coal is one of Kentucky’s biggest industries, and McConnell wants to preserve it, and grow it. Grimes, for her part, is trying to be a “pro-coal Democrat,” so she can reach all the Kentuckians affected by the coal industry. McConnell keeps trying to tie her to Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the minds of Kentuckians, so that they’ll think of a vote for her as a vote for the death of the coal industry.

All in all, this race is shaping up to be a tight one. Whether Grimes ultimately does win will depend on how much Kentuckians trust McConnell to keep working in their interests, or whether they feel he’s been working in their interests to begin with. Kentucky is traditionally a red state, so to see the race so tight is surprising. But, then, perhaps not, as more moderate Republicans become disenchanted with the Tea Party’s influence over their party.

BrownArmy

It will be interesting to see what happens in the actual election...

Polls of Republicans in Cantor's (old) district showed that 60% agreed with the need for some immigration reform...maybe they were so sure of a Cantor victory that they didn't even vote?

Love how the Tea Party is jumping on Brat's win, even though they didn't give him a dime.

He's out Tea-Partying the Tea Party, even though he doesn't strike me as Tea Party.

The Joker would approve of this chaos.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm the kind of Liberal Leftist that is FOR Freedom from Religion, Gun Control,Gay Marriage,Equal Rights for GaysWomen and minorities, Believer in Abortion Rights, I believe no citizen should be in in need of affordable healthcare, I believe in SCIENCE,and the need for Stem Cell research, I feel oil is a finite resource and other options should be explored . I am a believer in Euthanasia i.e. a person should have the choice to die with dignity on his own terms. I feel Social Security should be protected at all costs,Taxing the rich I also support welfare as it protects the poor.

as far as Immigration, i feel if the reasons for the illegals to come here in the first place were eliminated the problem would solve itself.However Republicans support Big Business so that will never ever happen
I believe that we have fundamental human rights that our government has no business trying to control. Those rights include gay marriage, reproductive freedom for women, physician-assisted suicide for the terminally ill, and armed self defense. Its none of the governments business who I choose to love, who I choise to marry, whether my wife or daughter needs an abortion, whether I choose to have a doctor end my life when terminally ill, or how many guns I choose to own.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I believe that we have fundamental human rights that our government has no business trying to control. Those rights include gay marriage, reproductive freedom for women, physician-assisted suicide for the terminally ill, and armed self defense. Its none of the governments business who I choose to love, who I choise to marry, whether my wife or daughter needs an abortion, whether I choose to have a doctor end my life when terminally ill, or how many guns I choose to own.
Aside from opposing views on guns I think you and I would agree on most political issues