GOP Presidents Have Been the Worst Contributors to the Federal Debt

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So we just blame the black guy for reckless spending because he is president when the spending is the most in history, but you being a racist thinks that its ok to blame the white president??? You also claim that Obamas spending was to get us out of the mess he inherited. Sooooo I guess you cant blame Reagan because of the mess Carter left him and cant blame Bush because of the mess Bill Clinton left him right...Im just saying, thats just using your words. And if the Bush tax cuts, correction, after the first 2 years of Obamas term they became the Obama tax cuts, were soooooo bad, why didnt Obama get rid of them???

Reagan BLAMED carter for 8 years for his economy and deficit spending. IN his 1984 state of the union he said ""The problems we inherited were far worse than most inside and out of government had expected; the recession was deeper than most inside and out of government had predicted. Curing those problems has taken more time and a higher toll than any of us wanted."~Ronald Reagan

In fact, lets take a look at what he said ( AGAIN ) in 1982 ( 2 years after he took office )....

In Reagan's 1982 State of the Union, he went after his predecessor for blame plenty of times:
"To understand the State of the Union, we must look not only at where we are and where we're going but where we've been. The situation at this time last year was truly ominous."
"In the last six months of 1980, as an example, the money supply increased at the fastest rate in postwar history 13 percent. Inflation remained in double digits and Government spending increased at an annual rate of 17 percent. Interest rates reached a s taggering 21 1/2 percent. There were eight million unemployed."
"First, we must understand what's happening at the moment to the economy. Our current problems are not the product of the recovery program that's only just now getting under way, as some would have you believe; they are the inheritance of decades of tax and tax, and spend"
"Now the budget deficit this year will exceed our earlier expectations. The recession did that. It lowered revenues and increased costs."

NOW C'MON CAHARELL, even you can admit its the same logic, right?

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Always living in the past....1980.....1982.......Carter..........Reagan

It's 2012, you know??

Its not the PAST missy, its the ARGUMENT you all are repeating.... It worked for you during Reagan then and now, but for OBAMA, not knowing shows he's unqualified.

THE ARGUMENT makes NO SENSE.

peace

TOS

M

MenInBrown

Reagan BLAMED carter for 8 years for his economy and deficit spending. IN his 1984 state of the union he said ""The problems we inherited were far worse than most inside and out of government had expected; the recession was deeper than most inside and out of government had predicted. Curing those problems has taken more time and a higher toll than any of us wanted."~Ronald Reagan

In fact, lets take a look at what he said ( AGAIN ) in 1982 ( 2 years after he took office )....

In Reagan's 1982 State of the Union, he went after his predecessor for blame plenty of times:
"To understand the State of the Union, we must look not only at where we are and where we're going but where we've been. The situation at this time last year was truly ominous."
"In the last six months of 1980, as an example, the money supply increased at the fastest rate in postwar history 13 percent. Inflation remained in double digits and Government spending increased at an annual rate of 17 percent. Interest rates reached a s taggering 21 1/2 percent. There were eight million unemployed."
"First, we must understand what's happening at the moment to the economy. Our current problems are not the product of the recovery program that's only just now getting under way, as some would have you believe; they are the inheritance of decades of tax and tax, and spend"
"Now the budget deficit this year will exceed our earlier expectations. The recession did that. It lowered revenues and increased costs."

Peace

TOS

I just wanted you to agree with me. So what are you complaining about and why are you in denial about Obamas spending when you just agreed with me?

bbsam

Staff member
I just wanted you to agree with me. So what are you complaining about and why are you in denial about Obamas spending when you just agreed with me?
I disagree with you because you want to place "blame" on administrations and people. The blame falls in one place, on the "We" as in "We the people" and will continue to be that no matter who wins.

beentheredonethat

GEESH.... do you just believe everything the GOP has to sell or do you think for yourself?

Under REAGAN, in 8 years he tallied up 3.7 trillion dollars in debt, at that time, it was more than all the presidents from washington to carter COMBINED. REAGAN was the first to surpass the TRILLION dollar mark as NO PRESIDENT before him EVER exceeded a trillion dollars in debt.
TOS

Ummm, check your facts.
History of the United States public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you use this web site, the part of having 3.7 trillion in total debt is correct. Debt is total debt of the U.S. whereas deficit is the debt incurred in one year. Basing your numbers on adjusted federal debt as of 1989 when Reagan left office (3.7 Trillion), Carter left with adjusted debt of 1.78 Trillion dollars. (You can't use adjusted debt to prove Reagan got to 3.7 trillion, then switch to non adjusted debt for prior presidents).

In this instance, I disagree with both parties. Both parties are responsible for the debt. Both want to gain favor with their constituents by "bringing home the bacon" and also reducing taxes. My dad was a staunch democrat. I leaned more conservative. But I totally agreed with him on this point. For every dollar that the govt wants to write a bill for to "spend" money, they should also vote for a tax to pay for that spending on that same bill. They shouldn't be allowed to vote for spending and not have a way to pay for it. This hopefully will reduce some of the crazy spending that is going on.

Did Reagan have large deficits, yes. I disagree with much of that spending. I find it amazing though that after almost 4 full years, the best you guys still have is that it's Bush's fault. If your guy can't fix it in one term, why should we vote him in for another?

M

MenInBrown

I disagree with you because you want to place "blame" on administrations and people. The blame falls in one place, on the "We" as in "We the people" and will continue to be that no matter who wins.

You disagree, but we make the same point...Although there is blame for administrations and people, "we the people" are the ones that put the administrations there. The buck stops at the prez

beentheredonethat

Peace

TOS

Well as Reagan very famously said "There you go again".

The election to vote Reagan into office was in Nov 1980, he took office in early 1981. The 1982 state of the union was given 1 year after he took office. How do you come up with TWO years, when it was one year?

Don't you hate it when facts get in the way of your imagination??