Got a message today. 3rd in stops & 7th in packages nationwide yesterday!

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
You can’t change classification by winning a bid route, 22.4 drivers aren’t allowed to hold bid routes and promotions are based on company seniority and percentages of rpcd vs 22.4 in a building not individual centers

This is the message I was trying to reply to.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
This is funny because they will expect you to do more and accuse you of stealing time if you do less.......for the next 30 years.

This is the reality of a FT job at UPS.
Interesting. It seems to me that UPS accusing an RPCD of stealing time is tantamount to UPS admitting that their tracking system is no good. I got a call last night to help another RPCD. This was the second one of the evening and I actually had parts of two other routes in my vehicle. When he called me he knew exactly where I was and how many stops I had left. Up until that time I didn't know that UPS could track in real time. Makes perfect sense now considering how technology is.
Just under two years in and I've not once been accused of or questioned about stealing time, and maannnnnnn let me tell you, some days have been complete disasters where I was 2-3hrs over.

Not an RPCD, though. I have a feeling everything's gonna change when I'm finally able to win a route and change classification.

I know this isn't really where the discussion was headed, but I just want to say:

PVDs are wonderful for the reasons you described. Despite feeling that way, however, you all are taking union work away from dues-paying Teamsters.

If a driver wants non-union help, I'm all for allowing them to use it. If a driver doesn't, on the other hand (and there are plenty that don't), they should be allowed to refuse the help. Honestly-- and although I'm personally okay with it-- seasonal employees should never even consider being used until every Teamster on the payroll is given an 8hr day minimum. They should be an insurance policy in case the plan fails and not a cheaper alternative to permanent employees.

With that in mind, all that's left to say is something I've repeated several times on this forum and to my management team: if given the choice between the two, I'd much rather have a PVD tethered to my route than a helper in the jump seat for even a portion of the day.

PPH_over_9000

You can’t change classification by winning a bid route, 22.4 drivers aren’t allowed to hold bid routes and promotions are based on company seniority and percentages of rpcd vs 22.4 in a building not individual centers

And yet, they open the occasional bid to 22.4s in our center. Typically it's just to change classification, but sometimes it's a route that went up for bid for RPCDs that nobody wanted.

My bad. I should've flipped the wording around. I think about it the way I posted it because I really, really don't want to go from being a cover driver 22.4 to a cover driver RPCD. I honestly can't explain why that feels like a bad deal to me other than, as it stands right now, I'm at the top of the 22.4 seniority list and, mannnnn, let me tell you-- the view's nice up here.

I should probably just bite the bullet and jump to the bottom of the next list ASAP, though....

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
And yet, they open the occasional bid to 22.4s in our center. Typically it's just to change classification, but sometimes it's a route that went up for bid for RPCDs that nobody wanted.

My bad. I should've flipped the wording around. I think about it the way I posted it because I really, really don't want to go from being a cover driver 22.4 to a cover driver RPCD. I honestly can't explain why that feels like a bad deal to me other than, as it stands right now, I'm at the top of the 22.4 seniority list and, mannnnn, let me tell you-- the view's nice up here.

I should probably just bite the bullet and jump to the bottom of the next list ASAP, though....
Duh?

What'dyabringmetoday???

Interesting. It seems to me that UPS accusing an RPCD of stealing time is tantamount to UPS admitting that their tracking system is no good. I got a call last night to help another RPCD. This was the second one of the evening and I actually had parts of two other routes in my vehicle. When he called me he knew exactly where I was and how many stops I had left. Up until that time I didn't know that UPS could track in real time. Makes perfect sense now considering how technology is.
Thank you for everything that you are doing. You definitely saved Christmas.

BlackFriday

Only 3rd and 7th? You sure you can’t go any faster? Your center’s management team has numbers to make.
I'm sure my time at UPS isn't baked into the numbers PLUS I'm betting it's total BS. IT has to be. There is no way to quantify this "major win"

PPH_over_9000

Duh what? That I should change classification ASAP or that they bid routes to 22.4s occasionally?

Honestly, I'm kind of hoping that 22.4s get grandfathered in to RPCD with our new leadership. There's a chance that they'll be able to get rid of the position altogether, and in that case there's a chance that seniority will follow.

I'm just tired of being at the top of the list and then thrown back to the bottom. I know it's an inevitability but I kind of want to enjoy being able to take any vacation weeks I want and being able to get the day off if I want it 90% of the time for just a little while longer. All good things come to an end, though-- I'm all too aware of that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Duh what? That I should change classification ASAP or that they bid routes to 22.4s occasionally?

Honestly, I'm kind of hoping that 22.4s get grandfathered in to RPCD with our new leadership. There's a chance that they'll be able to get rid of the position altogether, and in that case there's a chance that seniority will follow.

I'm just tired of being at the top of the list and then thrown back to the bottom. I know it's an inevitability but I kind of want to enjoy being able to take any vacation weeks I want and being able to get the day off if I want it 90% of the time for just a little while longer. All good things come to an end, though-- I'm all too aware of that.
That you would change M-friend schedule. More money

JustDeliverIt

Not sure how they run it at your building but here 22.4’s bid vacations and everything else after all the RPCD’s do, even the cover ones. So you may be top 22.4 but your behind every RPCD. Better to take the leap for higher pay and start moving up the list you, I would think at least, would really want to be on.

And as much as I would like to think that the changes in leadership will bring some good things for us, can’t count on that and it’s at least a 1.5 years away. Unfortunately this is the system we have, plan accordingly.

PPH_over_9000

Not sure how they run it at your building but here 22.4’s bid vacations and everything else after all the RPCD’s do, even the cover ones. So you may be top 22.4 but your behind every RPCD. Better to take the leap for higher pay and start moving up the list you, I would think at least, would really want to be on.

And as much as I would like to think that the changes in leadership will bring some good things for us, can’t count on that and it’s at least a 1.5 years away. Unfortunately this is the system we have, plan accordingly.

Yeaaaah, it's all a gamble. And you're right! I'd much rather be climbing the list that actually seems to matter. I'm a nervous :censored2:, though, and I always manage to talk myself out of making the jump for one reason or another. That's kind of why I like coming on here-- y'all might occasionally give me a hard time but I almost always get sound and sensible advice.

But in my center they bid 22.4s and RPCD vacations separately (they just started doing it this year, though, made a huge deal of it at a PCM back in November.) I managed to get the 4th of July, Thanksgiving/Black Friday and the week of my birthday for my vacations next year.

It'll be nice to actually enjoy a few holidays for the first time in just over a decade, even if I lose out on a couple days' holiday pay in exchange.

BlackFriday

Yeaaaah, it's all a gamble. And you're right! I'd much rather be climbing the list that actually seems to matter. I'm a nervous :censored2:, though, and I always manage to talk myself out of making the jump for one reason or another. That's kind of why I like coming on here-- y'all might occasionally give me a hard time but I almost always get sound and sensible advice.

But in my center they bid 22.4s and RPCD vacations separately (they just started doing it this year, though, made a huge deal of it at a PCM back in November.) I managed to get the 4th of July, Thanksgiving/Black Friday and the week of my birthday for my vacations next year.

It'll be nice to actually enjoy a few holidays for the first time in just over a decade, even if I lose out on a couple days' holiday pay in exchange.
Use a PVD. We're here to help the RPCD. Or at least, I am. 😁

PPH_over_9000

Use a PVD. We're here to help the RPCD. Or at least, I am. 😁

....for what, though? I get that you're trying to develop a persona here but a PVD won't help me with anything other than finishing an individual day more quickly.

And I still stand by my earlier statement: I'm all for that most of the time. With that in mind, though, I've only worked with two PVDs so far this "peak," and I've managed to keep a helper off my package car the entire time.

They've thrown me some curveballs as a result of my helper refusal but it's all good. They'll cut the bull:censored2:, never-ending sweep route I've been put on for the rest of peak almost immediately once we lose our seasonals and PVDs.

BlackFriday

....for what, though? I get that you're trying to develop a persona here but a PVD won't help me with anything other than finishing an individual day more quickly.

And I still stand by my earlier statement: I'm all for that most of the time. With that in mind, though, I've only worked with two PVDs so far this "peak," and I've managed to keep a helper off my package car the entire time.

They've thrown me some curveballs as a result of my helper refusal but it's all good. They'll cut the bull:censored2:, never-ending sweep route I've been put on for the rest of peak almost immediately once we lose our seasonals and PVDs.
Surely you saw the smile face?

Tanktoptony

Sign the feeder list and put an end to crap