Got fired.. going to hearing tomorrow hoping to get my job back

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Suppose you had jury duty and were released before noon------do you call the building and let them know that you are available or do you enjoy the rest of the day off?
I let them know I am available, but they never want me because putting an additional route on the road would screw up the Stops Per Car metric that they are required to meet. Its better for them that I just stay away, my time gets coded out as Jury Duty and it doesn't make anyone look bad on a report. They literally would rather pay me to do nothing than to pay me to do something. Works for me!

rod

Retired 22 years
Absolutely not! I'm headed home. Had grand jury once for 4 weeks. Every Wednesday. Was home by noon each day. Was a nice month. Broke the weeks up nicely

I was on one trial where jury couldn't reach a verdict on Thursday so the judge sent us home. We went back to court house on Friday morning at 9am-took another vote and reached a verdict by 9:15 am. We were done for the day by 9:30 and hell no I didn't go into work--on a Friday? are you nuts? I've also been on a jury where we hadn't reached a verdict by noon and were still in deliberations so the county bought us lunch which was brought in from a nice restaurant- not a fast food place---after which a verdict was soon made. Its a wonderful judicial system we have.

rod

Retired 22 years
I let them know I am available, but they never want me because putting an additional route on the road would screw up the Stops Per Car metric that they are required to meet. Its better for them that I just stay away, my time gets coded out as Jury Duty and it doesn't make anyone look bad on a report. They literally would rather pay me to do nothing than to pay me to do something. Works for me!

Why would you let them know you are available? That sounds like something upstate would do.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
If they want you gone, you'll be gone. That's why they make things so convoluted and complex. Everyday we can't help but violate one of their myriad of edicts. The question is whether they will use it against you or save it for later.

soberups

Why would you let them know you are available? That sounds like something upstate would do.
Article 29, Section 1, Paragraph 2 of the National Master Agreement:

Employees who are scheduled to work a day shift shall not be required to report for work on any day he/she is required to report for jury duty unless released from jury duty not less than six (6) hours prior to the end of his/her regularly scheduled shift, in which event he/she will be allowed two (2) hours from the time he/she is released from jury duty to report and work the remainder of his/her regularly scheduled shift.

In my county, you get a slip from the jury coordinator that shows what time you were released from jury duty that day, and you are required to remit this slip to UPS in order to get paid for jury duty. Failure to call in and be willing to report for work when you are released early could be construed as dishonesty. I'm not going to take that chance, especially when there is no reason to. Every time I have ever called in, I am told "we don't need your help, see you tomorrow." Making me come in would screw up their Stops Per Car metric and cause them to look bad on a report and the only way they would be willing to do that is during peak season or some sort of staffing emergency. In that case...since they are paying me they have a right to expect me to work.

soberups

If they want you gone, you'll be gone. That's why they make things so convoluted and complex. Everyday we can't help but violate one of their myriad of edicts. The question is whether they will use it against you or save it for later.
They can issue as many edicts as they want but they cant fire us unless we violate one of the cardinal offenses in the contract. The more convoluted and complex they make the rules, the easier it actually is for us to defend ourselves during the progressive discipline process that they are required to follow. They want us all gone, especially if we are at top scale, but they aren't going to get their wish if we don't let them.

rod

Retired 22 years
Article 29, Section 1, Paragraph 2 of the National Master Agreement:

Employees who are scheduled to work a day shift shall not be required to report for work on any day he/she is required to report for jury duty unless released from jury duty not less than six (6) hours prior to the end of his/her regularly scheduled shift, in which event he/she will be allowed two (2) hours from the time he/she is released from jury duty to report and work the remainder of his/her regularly scheduled shift.

In my county, you get a slip from the jury coordinator that shows what time you were released from jury duty that day, and you are required to remit this slip to UPS in order to get paid for jury duty. Failure to call in and be willing to report for work when you are released early could be construed as dishonesty. I'm not going to take that chance, especially when there is no reason to. Every time I have ever called in, I am told "we don't need your help, see you tomorrow." Making me come in would screw up their Stops Per Car metric and cause them to look bad on a report and the only way they would be willing to do that is during peak season or some sort of staffing emergency. In that case...since they are paying me they have a right to expect me to work.

Looks like another rule I broke when I was working. To be honest once the sort was over and the troops had left the barn the chances of catching some manager hanging around was about slim and none at my center. Once you were called up for jury duty you were on your own. The first time I had it they let me keep all monies--UPS days wage-jury duty pay and mileage. The second time they wanted my jury pay but I got to keep the mileage check. I told them what days I had to be off and no questions were ever asked. As far as the court house letting them know when I was released each day --- it never happened.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When we receive a jury duty summons we are assigned a number and have to call the night before to see if we have to report the following day, if we have to call back that night or if we are excused altogether. We have to turn this summons in to our mgt team and, yes, we are asked to call upon the completion of our duties.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Two suspensions and fired in a matter of a few weeks with less than a year with the company? Someone wanted his ass gone.