Got hurt at work.

Jackofnotrades

Got a Hernia today. Limited duty of 5 lbs or less. I am a cover driver and preload. Well can't drive until after surgery and can only work a limited amount of time each day. Is there a chance of collecting workers compensation? Im pretty much income negative for the next 6 week's. Just was wondering if others have been in this situation and could give some feed back

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If you got the injury today, make sure you fill out an injury report no matter what you do. Do not leave the property until you do or you will risk the company denying the claim. Your management team might try to try to talk you out of it, don't let them. They can work you up to 29 days of TAW(light duty), then you go on Workman's Comp. I've had three, you will be out of work 2-3 months.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If you got the injury today, make sure you fill out an injury report no matter what you do. Do not leave the property until you do or you will risk the company denying the claim. Your management team might try to try to talk you out of it, don't let them. They can work you up to 29 days of TAW(light duty), then you go on Workman's Comp. I've had three, you will be out of work 2-3 months.
That depends on severity. I was out 3 weeks.

Jackofnotrades

I filled out the accident report at the bldg.was sent directly to the clinic with the supervisor. They forwarded the paperwork over to worker comp claims department stating surgery was needed. 3 months without a paycheck? Yikes. At least short term disablity is something. This sux

over9five

Staff member
I think I was out 6 weeks, and then light duty for a few more.
This was long ago, when they really cut you up. My scar is maybe 3 or 4 inches long. Now they do it with a small hole

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I filled out the accident report at the bldg.was sent directly to the clinic with the supervisor. They forwarded the paperwork over to worker comp claims department stating surgery was needed. 3 months without a paycheck? Yikes. At least short term disablity is something. This sux
If they put you on TAW you'll get full pay.

542thruNthru

But full pay could just be 12 bucks an hour. Cover driving is far between sense routes are being cut. My air rate went up to the max of 28.66 per hour. Hope this is just a short time...

Have you contacted your BA? He/she would be the best source of information at this time. Your BA would know your Supplmental language and most likely know your states work comp laws being as this probably isn't his first time dealing with a on job injury.

Jackofnotrades

Have you contacted your BA? He/she would be the best source of information at this time. Your BA would know your Supplmental language and most likely know your states work comp laws being as this probably isn't his first time dealing with a on job injury.
Shop Steward? Sorry BA is something i hadn't heard of before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mycow

Workmens comp isn't that bad almost been 2 months 1200 a week take home. Kinda nice since they on the 8 and skate kick

Jackofnotrades

Workmens comp isn't that bad almost been 2 months 1200 a week take home. Kinda nice since they on the 8 and skate kick
Do they base it on the past few months of salary... Sense cover driving is not really considered a job sense I'm not full time.... If they give me inside rate that will be about 147.00 a week

542thruNthru

No problem it happens a lot.
Your BA(Business Agent) is your union representative. Your BA is who your Steward reports to in a sense.

Do you know what local you are? If not ask your Shop Steward for the locals phone number and who your BA is.

Jackofnotrades

No problem it happens a lot.
Your BA(Business Agent) is your union representative. Your BA is who your Steward reports to in a sense.

Do you know what local you are? If not ask your Shop Steward for the locals phone number and who your BA is.
Im looking into that right now. Appriciate the advise

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Got a Hernia today. Limited duty of 5 lbs or less. I am a cover driver and preload. Well can't drive until after surgery and can only work a limited amount of time each day. Is there a chance of collecting workers compensation? Im pretty much income negative for the next 6 week's. Just was wondering if others have been in this situation and could give some feed back
You could claim workers comp but ups will work with your restrictions so they dont have to report it