Grievance filed over crummy uniforms

705red

Browncafe Steward
If we have a driver on here from every local that we represent (as cafers) file for the drivers in our area all in the same week, that might get some attention.

tieguy

Banned
I am going to let my BA make that call. I am hoping that it wouldnt need to get as far as a national panel, it will take forever to get resolved. It is a silly grievance and one that shouldnt even have to be filed in the first place. All it will take to resolve the problem on a national level is for someone in corporate with enough authority to write a memo instructing his underlings to comply with the contract and provide an adequate number of uniforms to each employee. There isnt any rocket science going on here.

Yea its a silly grievance but sometimes you have a make a point.:happy-very:

Make a copy and next day air it to scott davis. Ask him to provide a written response and sign it.

wannabeups

I am kind of glad to see, I am not the only one with problems with their uniforms. I thought I was the only one. I have problems with the hems coming completely out. The clasp fastner on the pants separating from the fabric itself.

On the shirt the pen holder in the left pocket falls apart if you barely touch it

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The logo on one of my Jackets fell of a few months ago. When I wear it I purposely walk into the supes office or stand around and chat with them. No one has noticed that I'm wearing a plain brown jersey. On the other hand. I still have a jacket with the olympic logo on it that I wear as a throw back jersey, for when I'm feeling nostalgic, :happy-very:.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
So totally agree!!!! Do you think Davis will follow his lead? Somebody needs to turn things around and get IE under control. Like I said in another thread, they should send IE out as driver helpers, maybe it would open their eyes.

brownrodster

I dont mind doing my own laundry, but I want enough uniforms so that I can just wait until the weekend and do one big "brown load" instead of having to wash them every other day.

I have 2 pants. I wash them once on the weekend no matter how disguisting they are. I have ordered more pants at least 3 times in the last year and have gotten nothing.

We have no laundry service and I will not go out of my way to wash my disguisting UPS uniforms.

Overpaid Union Thug

Unfortunately I dont see where that is grievable. The contract is quite clear that the company must provide and maintain uniforms, and the maintainence requirement carries with it an implied minimum number of uniforms that must be issued. As far as the quality or appearance of those uniforms go, it is up to the company to decide what they want to pay for. If they feel that it is worth saving a few $$ to have employees wearing shorts and shirts of a different color, that is a business decision for them to make and for us to live with.

If that is their agenda then we will soon be the laughing stock of the industry. Right down their with DHL.

brownrodster

It would be interesting to see the reaction of management if several drivers showed up for work in dirty, wrinkled, sweat-stained browns one morning.

Seriously, that is me everyday. I have never ironed my browns. They are always wrinkled as I just throw them in a pile after they are washed. MY vest was zipperless and had a huge stain on it and no one in management never commented. I wash my 2 pants and several shirts once on the weekend and refuse to do more than that.
I go 3 or 4 days without shaving and have never gotten a comment.

The only time anyone in management has ever commented on my appearance is when I wore shoes that were neither brown nor black. My response was I'll have new ones on monday and they left me alone after that.

I get comments from other drivers alll the time, however.

W

westsideworma

If that is the case then boy I feel like a spanked ass. I thought our CEO was Mike Eskew.

you'll like this part even better. He's never worked in a UPS operation ever, least thats the rumor going around.

Overpaid Union Thug

Seriously, that is me everyday. I have never ironed my browns. They are always wrinkled as I just throw them in a pile after they are washed. MY vest was zipperless and had a huge stain on it and no one in management never commented. I wash my 2 pants and several shirts once on the weekend and refuse to do more than that.
I go 3 or 4 days without shaving and have never gotten a comment.

The only time anyone in management has ever commented on my appearance is when I wore shoes that were neither brown nor black. My response was I'll have new ones on monday and they left me alone after that.

I get comments from other drivers alll the time, however.

I don't like starting out the day with a wrinkled uniform. I won't iron it but if my shirt of shorts are bad enough I'll at least throw them in the dryer for a few minutes. We are the best delivery company there is and that along with our professionalism is all that's keeping more customers from switching to FedEx and DHL even though they are usually cheaper. I hear customers complaining about DHL because they look so scrappy and unprofessional. I'm not die hard when it comes to uniforms. I won't press and starch them. I didn't even do that when I was active duty military. But I do want my uniforms looking neat. When its extremely hot outside all of our uniforms end up looking pretty ratty but customers understand why. Any other time of the year a scrappy uniform puts out a sign of unprofessionalism for many customers.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Since I ride my bicycle to work, it's hard to carry uniforms on the back. I drive one day a week and bring my uniforms to work on this day. I leave fresh uniforms, underwear, socks and anything else I need in my locker. My locker is only so big, so I usually end up with wrinkled uniforms. Here's the good part about living in sunny Florida. After being on the road for about 1/2 hour, my uniforms are so sweaty that you can't tell they were wrinkled. For that matter, you can't tell if I've been swimming in a customers pool, either.

brownrodster

. Any other time of the year a scrappy uniform puts out a sign of unprofessionalism for many customers.

I fully agree. But UPS made the business decision to give me 2 pants and several shirts. If they wanted me to look good they would give me a uniform for each day of the week. If they ever bug me about it I'll demand union representation and profess my desire to file a grevience. It's bogus to have 2 full uniforms for an entire week. So I fully don't even care what I look like. In fact several times I've asked customers to call in complaints about my appearance so that maybe I could get more uniforms. The customers didn't take me seriously although I was. My 2 lone pants are developing holes. I can't wait until they are full of holes. I will wear them proudly.

drewed

Shankman
you'll like this part even better. He's never worked in a UPS operation ever, least thats the rumor going around.

Yea thats true, he owned IImorrow which was the company which created the DIAD so hes been with the company for about 20yrs....

Maybe i see a different side of Eskew everyone else doesnt?
He did a great job to try to level the playing field in int'l volume with our competitors. Im not saying he was great but every CEO (or any management person really) has their pros and cons and little quirks.Eskew had roots in IE so his tenure as CEO was operations focused. Scott Davis on the other hand is a number cruncher, so from him your going to see a lot of cost cutting measures.

JustTired

free at last.......
Eskew had roots in IE so his tenure as CEO was operations focused. Scott Davis on the other hand is a number cruncher, so from him your going to see a lot of cost cutting measures.

So now the company is going from implementing systems that don't work to not having the money to fix them. Oh boy!

W

westsideworma

Yea thats true, he owned IImorrow which was the company which created the DIAD so hes been with the company for about 20yrs....

yea that I knew, but I meant in an actual operation, as in hub or package, the bread and butter of UPS. haha thats a fancy name though no wonder we bought them out ;-)