Grievance filed over crummy uniforms

ups_vette

sober.....I'm glad to see you're taking a strong stand, by filing a grievence, on the image that the UPS driver presents to the public. I agree with you that the appearance of the UPS driver must conform to the standards that have been established and agreed to. I'm also sure you will agree with any action UPS management takes with the driver whos' hair dosen't meet the standard, or the male driver who reports for work needing a shave, or the driver who wears white socks, or the driver whos' shoes are run down and need polishing, or any other violation of the UPS appearance standards.

Thank you sober, for taking the lead in enforcing the appearance standards for all UPS drivers.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

The small center I worked at, the OMS who handled the purchases was very generous. I have a small depot of UPS stuff, 7 or 8 sets of counter and regular browns, including long/short sleeve, pants shorts. probably 30 shirts/pants altogether. 6 pairs of socks, 2 belts, and 6 different hats. I'm sure there are some pack rats with more that want to share :D

doctor brown 688

Soberups, I think your on the right track,I think your quantity of uniforms is a valid point. If the company wants our uniforms to be a diarrhea green-brown after being washed a few times who cares it is their company. My concern and I think should be the Unions concern is where they are made,China or equivalent. Why preach to me everyday not to buy goods and services here and there because their not Union friendly,while I have to go to work in China made uniforms? What happen to the Union workers and/or their jobs in Georgia that were making our old uniforms,and why did I never hear a peep from the Union when this happened? Just my 2 cents........

drewed

Shankman
yea that I knew, but I meant in an actual operation, as in hub or package, the bread and butter of UPS. haha thats a fancy name though no wonder we bought them out ;-)

Scott Davis serves as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of UPS, the world’s largest package delivery company and a global leader in supply chain services.
Under Davis’s direction, UPS is expanding its capabilities into new lines of business that complement the company's global package delivery operations. These expanded capabilities include multi-modal transportation services, sophisticated logistics technologies, international trade management, supply-chain consulting and financial services.
Prior to his current position, Davis served as vice chairman and chief financial officer.
A native of Oregon, Davis earned a bachelor’s degree in finance from Portland State University. After completing college, he spent several years with Arthur Andersen. Davis also completed an Advanced Management Program at the Wharton School of Business.
Davis joined UPS in 1986 when the company acquired Oregon technology company, II Morrow. He had served as the chief financial officer and then CEO.
Beginning in 1991, Davis held positions of increasing responsibility as treasury manager, financial reports and plans manager and accounting manager.
From late 1998 to early 2000, he served as chief executive officer of Overseas Partners, Ltd., a Bermuda reinsurance company. Davis then rejoined UPS as its vice president of finance. In that position, he was responsible for banking, investments, mergers and acquisitions, tax and investor relations. Davis joined the UPS Management Committee in 2001, when he assumed position of chief financial officer.
Davis, a Certified Public Accountant, serves as deputy chairman of the board of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. He is also on the Board of Honeywell International, Inc., and is chairman of the Georgia Council on Economic Education.

1.gif

so no operations for our CEO, it looks like he is the number cruncher extrodinar.....and he did take a 2 year leave from UPS so i guess there is something he likes about being brown

browniehound

Sober,
I wouln't file the grievence to make the point. I agree the quality of our uniforms have suffered in the last 2 years. Since UPS is concerned with the appearence of its drivers I would make my point simply by wearing THEIR uniform.

When UPS switched uniform providers I can't find a size that fits me like my old uniforms do. For example, I can't get the right belt size. I used to order the belt 4 inches larger than my waist. It fit great. Now if I order it 4 inches larger its too big. I then tried to order it at 34 inches, my waist size. This was too small, as I couldn't get one hole fastened. Thats 2 belts I ordered that I can't use.

The same thing happened when I ordered pants and shorts. My waist size from the previous uniform supplier worked and works for the street clothes I buy, but not for our new supplier. The waist is right, but its too small everywhere else. I know what you-all are thinking, its not because I have a fat a--! :happy-very:

This might be true, but the pants are tight all the way to knee and at the calf.

So Sober, my answer to make the point would be to show up at the center with a shirt with sleeves too long and pants that look like "floods". I think this approach will grab everyones attention and prove our point more than the grievence.

I say this because this is what UPS is providing for us these days. I understand we can get them tailored but I never had to in the past and simply don't have the time or money for it now, especially when the contract states the cost will be borne by the employer for uniform maintenance. I have never read this in the contract, so I'm taking your word for it Sober:happy2:!

It appears that most of us prefer the old uniform company. If UPS is adamant about our appearence, then I think they should not pinch pennies in this area and go back to the provider that makes us look our best!

CRASH501

THESE CINTAS UNIFORMS OUTRIGHT ...SUCK...
I HAVE A POLYESTER ALLERGY AND HAVE A Dr.'S NOTE FOR COTTON UNIFORMS.
THE OLD G.A. RIVERS UNIFORMS WERE GREAT BUT I PACKED ON SOME WEIGHT AND NEEDED FATGUY CLOTHES WELL I WEAR A 40-42 IN MY PERSONAL CLOTHING ,
42 FROM UPS TIGHT AS HELL,
44 " " VERY SNUG,
46 " " I SWIM IN GO FIGURE .
NOW THE CROTCH IN THE 46'S SEAMS SPLIT ,I HAVE 1 OF 3 LEFT,
THE CUFF ON THE LEGS OF THE SHORTS UNSTITCHED AFTER 1-3 WASHES
BUT YET WHEN I COME TO WORK IN NICE OLD NAVY CARGO SHORTS THAT ARE ALMOST A DEAD ON COLOR MATCH I GET MY A** HANDED TO ME

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So Sober, my answer to make the point would be to show up at the center with a shirt with sleeves too long and pants that look like "floods". I think this approach will grab everyones attention and prove our point more than the grievence.

The only problem with this approach is that the people who are making the decisions to order cheap crap aren't in operations. They dont see the uniforms being worn, they dont care what they look like and they aren't accountable for the problems that are created.

My supervisor and center manager aren't happy about the uniforms either. They have ordered replacements for me, but the orders arent being filled. Again, the decision of how many uniforms may be issued per driver is not being made by them, it is now being made by some bean counter from an office in another time zone.

I was able to find out the name of the Finance Manager in our district who is supposedly responsible for approving or denying uniform requests. He is named in my grievance.

Last edited:

soberups

I say this because this is what UPS is providing for us these days. I understand we can get them tailored but I never had to in the past and simply don't have the time or money for it now, especially when the contract states the cost will be borne by the employer for uniform maintenance. I have never read this in the contract, so I'm taking your word for it Sober:happy2:!

The "maintainence" that is referred to in the relevant contract language (Article 16 Western Conference Supplement) means that the company is required to clean the uniforms. The laundry service that comes to our building to pick up the uniforms will normally do minor repairs such as button replacement, mending seams etc.

The problem we are having is that we are no longer issued enough uniforms to utilize the service. It is my position in my grievance that the maintainence requirement in the contract logically carries with it an implied minimum number of uniforms that must be issued. You cannot use a laundry service that shows up once a week if you only have 3 uniforms. Therefore, refusal by the company to issue an adequate number of uniforms constitutes a violation of Article 16.

soberups

THE CUFF ON THE LEGS OF THE SHORTS UNSTITCHED AFTER 1-3 WASHES
BUT YET WHEN I COME TO WORK IN NICE OLD NAVY CARGO SHORTS THAT ARE ALMOST A DEAD ON COLOR MATCH I GET MY A** HANDED TO ME

You have the exact same problem I have. 42's dont fit, 44's fit but the crotch blows out. Hems coming undone. Only 1 out of 3 pairs issued still wearable.

You should just show up at work wearing your Old Navy cargo shorts. If your boss tries to jump your ass, show him the pair with the split seam in the crotch and offer to wear those instead. Let him make the choice, and in the meanwhile file a grievance like I did. The company is violating the contract and they will continue to do so until we force them to comply with it.

BigBrownSanta

Just curious, but does your supplement not specify how many uniforms are to be issued?

In my supplement, Southern Region, Article 53, specifies that employees are entitled to a maximum of 10 shirts consisting of 5 summer shirts and 5 winter shirts. When a shirt becomes worn it will be turned in and replaced by a new shirt.

At the same time, however, there is no mention of how many shorts or pants are to be issued.

upsgrunt

I was thinking about this thread and thought I remembered something. I swear that years ago I had UPS long sleeve shirts that were made by Van Huesen or Arrow. Am I crazy, or can someone else remember these? I do miss the fit of those old shirts- I guess I was spoiled.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I was thinking about this thread and thought I remembered something. I swear that years ago I had UPS long sleeve shirts that were made by Van Huesen or Arrow. Am I crazy, or can someone else remember these? I do miss the fit of those old shirts- I guess I was spoiled.

Your memory is still good, I remember those long sleeve shirts from Van Huesen now that you mention it. I think the tags inside were printed on a blue fabric.

feeder53

ADKtrails
The only uniform part I have received new was the hat, all the other pants and shirts etc were given to me used. The first pull over jacket they gave me was torn from the shoulder to the elbow. I do the best I can with what I have. At my other job, the uniforms (ACU`s) are not a quality item either.

Big Babooba

I WEAR A 40-42 IN MY PERSONAL CLOTHING ,
42 FROM UPS TIGHT AS HELL,
44 " " VERY SNUG,
46 " " I SWIM IN GO FIGURE .
As i stated in another thread, Those people over in China just don't allow enough room for our good ole American johnsons.:happy-very: