Grievance Pending..no vacation pay?

tieguy

Banned
Someone help me understand this.
Buffy apparently refered to herself as a "friend-ing N word". If Buffy is of that ethnicity and there were no other persons of that ethnicity in the area that could have misunderstood the comment then what's the problem?
How is this harassment? The comment wasn't directed at anyone else.
If people filed harassment over EVERYTHING they happened to overhear the system would be seriously overloaded.
I agree with the other poster who said that Buffy hasn't been warned or counseled regarding this behavior.

"I'm just a dumb truckdriver". OK.....someone file harassment on me since I'm sure I have offended someone. :lol::lol:

Another terrific philosophical sounding statement that makes sense and sounds good but is no help when arguing a case of harrassment where you were dropping the N word.

HazMatMan

In my building I must hear the friend word at least 25 times a night. The N word about 20 times a night. Come work in my building and you can say those 2 words with 100% acceptibility..

trickpony1

Tie-
Once again you are so correct.
If I say "honky", "cracker", "whiteboy" or "white trash" in context refering to myself and, of course, I happen to be of that ethnicity and someone overhears me "bashing" myself.......how is that harassment?

It is also my understanding that it is not uncommon for blacks to refer to themselves using the N word. However humorous, rhetorical, satirical or cultural the intent, it happens and I have heard it but I didn't run and tattle.

BuffaloDream

Bring on the Sunshine!
TieGuy while I do view your comments about my situation I believe that you just are not getting the point...its called equality! Any employer can not DISCRIMINATE for any reason including this! Whether the so called "N" word was used or not. I feel if I am being fired for this than every single person at the hub that I work should be fired or disciplined for offensive comments that are made EVERY DAY!

This goes on all over the country!

And why is it ok for Puff Daddy, Snoop Dog and every other rapper to use the so called "N" word in their music, but its not ok for me to use it? Why is it published in books?

Trick Pony you are correct the comment was made about myself, not directed at anyone.

HazMatMan this is common all over not just at the hub I work at. Another point exactly, no employer can have some rules for some employees and other rules for other employees its called discrimination!

Thanks for the comments!

Buffy! :thumbup1::lol::thumbup1::lol::thumbup1:

DS

Fenderbender
If its a white guy calling himself a fn n***** in front of a black person could also be interpreted as an insult.
as in I`m just the fn n***** around here

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
In my building I must hear the friend word at least 25 times a night. The N word about 20 times a night. Come work in my building and you can say those 2 words with 100% acceptibility..

You forgot "mo-fo's," "SOB's," "g-d*it," and "friend-ing mo-fo's" :lol:. All of those I hear at least 20 times a night. -Rocky

moreluck

golden ticket member
When I was a lazy teen and I would ask my mom to reach something for me while she was cooking, ironing and talking on the phone at the same time.....my dad would always say..."Who was your "N" last year?"

:sad:

tieguy

Banned
TieGuy while I do view your comments about my situation I believe that you just are not getting the point...its called equality! Any employer can not DISCRIMINATE for any reason including this! Whether the so called "N" word was used or not. I feel if I am being fired for this than every single person at the hub that I work should be fired or disciplined for offensive comments that are made EVERY DAY!

Equality be damned sister. You screwed up and dropped some N Bombs. Only the blacks have a license to use the N word. You screwed up. You also have a harrassment complaint filed against you by a sister in color and a sister in the union. Right? I can see you pissing off management as you proudly proclaim yourself a hell raiser. But how did you ever piss off a coworker so bad that she filed a harrassment charge against you?

I really think I'm wasting my time. Theres more to this story then you are telling us. You aren't looking for advice on how to save your job. You're looking for advice that mirrors your view.

BuffaloDream

Bring on the Sunshine!
Your kidding right, I told you I work in a 98% Male hub, rural area that is 95% white, this hub does not employee anyone that is a minority race. I never said anything about a sister of color, cause the only other sister that works on the night sort is my race! So it was a male that so called complained. It wasn't a complaint at all but the supervisor calling the employees up to the office and asking them to right down what was heard. Upon several conversations with these employees it is a fact that this happened and that they were not filing complaints but only doing what was asked of them to do.

I say again I know it was wrong and I have attempted to apoligize for it numerous times.

This forum is an information melting pot. Your views are only your views and opinions. While they may not be what I want to hear at this point in my case. I know that they are all part of life trying to teach me a lesson.

Thank you again for your comments.

Buffy!

rebel

Sounds like a past practice. Get as many written statements as you can from employees on your behalf and keep it as qiet as you can. Maybe some of them can remember bad language being used in front of the sups. If you want to work for this company make sure you are always doing the right thing. If you do get your job back and want to keep it, you will have to be a model employee. Don't count on the back pay, you will never get it.

browniehound

My opinion is its a justified double standard. You simply can't use the N word. It is probably the most derogatory word in the english language. Blacks were forced to work for NOTHING at one time and I assume thats where the word originated from. I'm an Italian-American and if you want to call me "honkey", "cracker" or even "guinea", it really doesn't bother me. I could care less. But my guess is if I were black and you called me a N, it would hurt tremenduosly.

At the same time, I think black people should stop calling themeselves the N word. I work with a guy that calls himeself that all the time, and my feeling is I wish he would stop referring to himself that way. Because if we truly want racial equality, he needs to stop saying that. I view him as a friend, but if he uses that in conversation it reminds how cruel the white man was at one time (or still is?) and shifts the focus to the color of our skin when it shouldn't be.

area43

Well folks i called myself a :censored2: to another employee...with the friend word in it...without gettin detailed...this person often (meaning daily) swears and makes sexual comments to other employees. Along with the rest of the employees...no one ever in my four years has takin any of it seriously. And yes i do believe this was a plot to get rid of me. The night after I was fired the person that so called filed the complaint...so called complaint by management...lol...was wearing all new attire....UPS attire ...hmmmmm..well you make the call...Thanks for the comments!
Buffy!!!
If I get a speeding ticket and tell the judge, "Well, there was alot of other people speeding at the time I got my ticket and they didnt get pulled over". He s going to laugh in my face and say "Guilty as charged". lol

BuffaloDream

Bring on the Sunshine!
Apparently, you piss off alot more people than your co-workers. How did you get all those red boxes on your rep power??

Rep power? Why does this have anything to do with a forum? Could someone explain to me? Piss people off for posting on a forum, for explaining my views, my opinions or what ever is talked about at that particular time. Why?
Just because my issue is racial that makes me have a bad rep? C'mon your kidding right?

Oh Calgon take me away! LOL!!!

athena

If I get a speeding ticket and tell the judge, "Well, there was alot of other people speeding at the time I got my ticket and they didnt get pulled over". He s going to laugh in my face and say "Guilty as charged". lol

That's pretty funny area43 and makes a good point! Also, harrassment in the workplace is not limited to direct attacks. For instances, here are a few examples of sexual harassment. Pictures/posters of women (or men) in revealing bathing suits in the work environment. The telling of dirty jokes or derogatory jokes in the work environment. For example, it would be considered sexual harassment to tell a "gay" joke in the workplace.

You assume that using the N word is only offense to blacks? I grew up in Missouri and moved to Georgia a couple of years ago. I was astonished and quite frankly appalled by the way people use that word down here. It bolsters the already tense atmosphere in South between whites and blacks. I don't care who is saying it and whether or not there are any blacks around. It is NEVER appropriate for a white or black person to use. TIt is so ridiculous down here! I had a guy actual say he wouldn't date me b/c I had dated a black guy!

The word has been used to indicate inferiority/ignorance of another race! Why would you want to go around calling yourself ignorant and inferior! I am with Browniehound, it only hurts blacks to call themselves this. It is so ridiculous down here! I had a guy actual say he wouldn't date me b/c I had dated a black guy!

You say you are being singled out?! Anytime someone is willing to go out on a limb and use this language they are putting themselves up as target. They can't fire you if they don't have a reason. By using such language, you are giving them a reason. It may not be fair that you are the only one getting in trouble but the only just thing would be to fire anyone else that uses such language, not give you your job back.

Good grief! I have been in the South way too long. I've got to get out of here. This place is going to make me crazy!

HazMatMan

Rep power? Why does this have anything to do with a forum? Could someone explain to me? Piss people off for posting on a forum, for explaining my views, my opinions or what ever is talked about at that particular time. Why?
Just because my issue is racial that makes me have a bad rep? C'mon your kidding right?

Oh Calgon take me away! LOL!!!

You don't understand..

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
That's pretty funny area43 and makes a good point! Also, harrassment in the workplace is not limited to direct attacks. For instances, here are a few examples of sexual harassment. Pictures/posters of women (or men) in revealing bathing suits in the work environment. The telling of dirty jokes or derogatory jokes in the work environment. For example, it would be considered sexual harassment to tell a "gay" joke in the workplace.

You assume that using the N word is only offense to blacks? I grew up in Missouri and moved to Georgia a couple of years ago. I was astonished and quite frankly appalled by the way people use that word down here. It bolsters the already tense atmosphere in South between whites and blacks. I don't care who is saying it and whether or not there are any blacks around. It is NEVER appropriate for a white or black person to use. TIt is so ridiculous down here! I had a guy actual say he wouldn't date me b/c I had dated a black guy!

The word has been used to indicate inferiority/ignorance of another race! Why would you want to go around calling yourself ignorant and inferior! I am with Browniehound, it only hurts blacks to call themselves this. It is so ridiculous down here! I had a guy actual say he wouldn't date me b/c I had dated a black guy!

You say you are being singled out?! Anytime someone is willing to go out on a limb and use this language they are putting themselves up as target. They can't fire you if they don't have a reason. By using such language, you are giving them a reason. It may not be fair that you are the only one getting in trouble but the only just thing would be to fire anyone else that uses such language, not give you your job back.

Good grief! I have been in the South way too long. I've got to get out of here. This place is going to make me crazy!

Maybe it's just the area you live in. To blanket an entire region as racist and backwards is not only to stereotype it, but hypocrtitical of the point you were originally trying to make. Keep in mind Georgia is where "Deliverance" was filmed.

Buffy, Bill O'Reilly once said, "You can't justify bad behavior by pointing at other bad behavior." Remember, Bill is looking out for you. So long as your buying his books and watching the commercials his t.v. show sells. Good luck getting your job back.

athena

First, I didn't say the entire Southern population was racist. I indicated the relationships down here between blacks and whites are much more strained in comparison to Missouri. I know there are racists everywhere and that not everyone in the South is racists.

However, you would have a hard time convincing me that (I will keep this narrow) Georgia does not have racism bred into its culture. Have you been down this way much? Trust me, it's not pretty. White guys actually say it is okay for them to use the N word because blacks call themselves that. People stare at mixed race couples (both blacks and whites) like they're doing something sinful. Whites think they actually KNOW that blacks are lazy and inferior and definitely not good enough for the "nice, white girls and boys". Some of these people even have college educations! Now, sure, there are people who are of different races down here and getting along just fine but I would wager there are just as many racists.

Racism and discrimination are not things to be taken lightly. Buffy, the next time you walk into a restaurant imagine the management comes up to you and says, "You can't come in here. We don't serve 'your kind'. If you are hunger, go around back to the kitchen and grab your supper". Words like the N word support this kind of thinking. The type of thinking so many people sacrificed to fight so that you could get a job that was "meant for the white man".

Also, have you ever thought about what you are teaching others. Imagine a black man calling your 18 year-old daughter a N and her accepting it b/c that's what mom always called herself so it must be true about me too. Or, the next door neighbor kid who grows up thinking that is what black women are b/c hey, the next door neighbor called herself that. You have the right in your own personal time to use this language but what is the cost?

At work, you aren't suppose to be allowed to create a hostile work environment. But hey, what's in a name?

steffieup

All...just for clarification the use of the N word does not refer to ethnicity. Unfortunately society wants you to associate it with race but any one of you could be considered a N----r by definition.