Grievance Pending..no vacation pay?

dammor

First, I didn't say the entire Southern population was racist. I indicated the relationships down here between blacks and whites are much more strained in comparison to Missouri. I know there are racists everywhere and that not everyone in the South is racists.

However, you would have a hard time convincing me that (I will keep this narrow) Georgia does not have racism bred into its culture. Have you been down this way much? Trust me, it's not pretty. White guys actually say it is okay for them to use the N word because blacks call themselves that. People stare at mixed race couples (both blacks and whites) like they're doing something sinful. Whites think they actually KNOW that blacks are lazy and inferior and definitely not good enough for the "nice, white girls and boys". Some of these people even have college educations! Now, sure, there are people who are of different races down here and getting along just fine but I would wager there are just as many racists.

Racism and discrimination are not things to be taken lightly. Buffy, the next time you walk into a restaurant imagine the management comes up to you and says, "You can't come in here. We don't serve 'your kind'. If you are hunger, go around back to the kitchen and grab your supper". Words like the N word support this kind of thinking. The type of thinking so many people sacrificed to fight so that you could get a job that was "meant for the white man".

Also, have you ever thought about what you are teaching others. Imagine a black man calling your 18 year-old daughter a N and her accepting it b/c that's what mom always called herself so it must be true about me too. Or, the next door neighbor kid who grows up thinking that is what black women are b/c hey, the next door neighbor called herself that. You have the right in your own personal time to use this language but what is the cost?

At work, you aren't suppose to be allowed to create a hostile work environment. But hey, what's in a name?

There is plenty in a name and those that don't understand that haven't been injured by one. Think before you speak.

I agree with you Athena.

athena

All...just for clarification the use of the N word does not refer to ethnicity. Unfortunately society wants you to associate it with race but any one of you could be considered a N----r by definition.

First, the etymology of the word is from a couple of other languages Spanish, French, but originally Latin and meant black in all those languages. It has always been associated with blacks in this country. It just didn't start out as a derogatory term.

Second, technically anyone can be called this, I agree. However, the word is known as a racial slur (considered probably the most offensive), especially in this country. I mean, you could use the term bimbo for anyone, but it really applies to women. In fact, if you even use the word to describe a man, it is usually qualified by say "male bimbo".

I have often wondered why any minority (be it women, blacks, etc.) would ever use racial/gender slurs against themselves or others of there own race/gender. Apparently I am not the only one. Here is a little perspective on the Don Imus thing from earlier this year.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-sppow0412,0,5683502.column

There is plenty in a name and those that don't understand that haven't been injured by one. Think before you speak.

I agree with you Athena.

Thanks. I just think we already have enough reasons for conflict with each other (murder, child abuse, etc.) that we don't need to encourage blind hatred. I am so disheartened by the anger, pain, and saddness that this kind of hatred breeds. I remember when my son first started school. It never mattered to him that his best friends were Puerto Rican and Indian. I mean he knew the kids looked different but he figured (other than identical twins, of course, he reminded me :)) everyone looks different.

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
Rep power? Why does this have anything to do with a forum? Could someone explain to me? Piss people off for posting on a forum, for explaining my views, my opinions or what ever is talked about at that particular time. Why?
Just because my issue is racial that makes me have a bad rep? C'mon your kidding right?

Oh Calgon take me away! LOL!!!

You do have a point. I guess a bad rep should be if you make stupid comments, lie, are mean, or make untrue comments. Stating the facts of your situation shouldn't affect your forum rep just because people are upset about the topic. You shpuld get good rep for touching on a fire storm type subject. However, that kind of talk is still uncalled for.