Ground subcontractors, Listen to your drivers!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Anyway, I'd recommend looking into resetting to give the transmission a fighting chance from the start. A Bosch Tech 2 makes it easy.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The problem would be the TCU trying to run the new transmission with learned shift parameters from the old wonky unit. Damage can be done before the TCU gets a handle on things with the new unit. Baseline (0) parameters are a safe place to start the relearning.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I expect more. I had a 2006 Ford box truck with 370,000 with the original engine and transmission. That’s the benchmark.

The newer Ford stepvans I'm seeing at my terminal have failing transmissions as well... build quality wasn't as good as the previous years.

the only thing I had a problem with that era (early 2000s) of Ford s were a loose gear selector on the column

We've been getting a couple of p1000s Ford v10s... Wut gas guzzlers!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The newer Ford stepvans I'm seeing at my terminal have failing transmissions as well... build quality wasn't as good as the previous years.

the only thing I had a problem with that era (early 2000s) of Ford s were a loose gear selector on the column

We've been getting a couple of p1000s Ford v10s... Wut gas guzzlers!
Got several v10 Fords. Had a campaign already to tighten loose harmonic balancer bolts. Not sure what mileage they get, but a lot of fuel could have been bought for them with all the money blown on those POS IHC VT365s at nearly 12k a pop. Low 6s seem to be the average for the Chevy powered package cars.

It will be fine

Got several v10 Fords. Had a campaign already to tighten loose harmonic balancer bolts. Not sure what mileage they get, but a lot of fuel could have been bought for them with all the money blown on those POS IHC VT365s at nearly 12k a pop. Low 6s seem to be the average for the Chevy powered package cars.
And guys think I’m crazy for sticking with diesels.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
And by low 6s, I mean MPG. A gas engine will outlive those VT internationals and cost only a third as much to replace. Also weigh maybe half as much.

Indecisi0n

I reuse them until I feel there is too much run out, wear , or damage. It is too time consuming to replace them all every time the pads are gone in 6 months.
I always use the logic that shaving normal car rotors that are used as a daily driver (no towing or abuse) was just a waste of money. Unless of course the rotor is warped. I figure the new pads would bed into the OEM rotor after the change. Is this really bad/wrong?

OrioN

And guys think I’m crazy for sticking with diesels.
Pre-DEF? I told one subcontractor to keep the p500 diesel power stepvan, but he sold it to another subcontractor...

Only a handful D-power vehicles in the terminal of over 100 routes are left. None with the DEF system... heard bad things about them

bacha29

VT 365? Could that be the 6.0 that replaced the 7.3 . The stories you hear about those INT/Ford 6.0's. I once heard that Ford and International parted ways over that engine.

OrioN

I always use the logic that shaving normal car rotors that are used as a daily driver (no towing or abuse) was just a waste of money. Unless of course the rotor is warped. I figure the new pads would bed into the OEM rotor after the change. Is this really bad/wrong?

U need to scuff up the old rotors, so the new pad material can mate with the old rotors.

Some don't do that & properly heat cycle them would lead to glazed pads or whatever you call it.

If warping is evident, new rotors on order. Like others said, they're not casted with much meat on them to begin wif

Indecisi0n

U need to scuff up the old rotors, so the new pad material can mate with the old rotors.

Some don't do that & properly heat cycle them would lead to glazed pads or whatever you call it.

If warping is evident, new rotors on order. Like others said, they're not casted with much meat on them to begin wif
So for the normal driver would you just use a certain grit sandpaper to scuff them up?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
VT 365? Could that be the 6.0 that replaced the 7.3 . The stories you hear about those INT/Ford 6.0's. I once heard that Ford and International parted ways over that engine.
We have a winner! You are correct on both points mostly.The subsequent 6.4 was just a bad and the last straw.

MAKAVELI

So for the normal driver would you just use a certain grit sandpaper to scuff them up?
Don't be cheap and just pony up for new rotors. Most are not expensive and giving new pads a clean flat surface extends life, performance and makes break-in faster.