Ground to absorb Express

Purplepackage

I run a pickup truck, two gmc p500 box trucks, and a half ton cargo van all under 10000 lbs.

Express has non-DOT drivers.

Express has non-DOT drivers but they will also pay 4 couriers to go pick up a bulk that 1 courier could’ve put in a step van. That’s a luxury ground doesn’t have

CJinx

I run a pickup truck, two gmc p500 box trucks, and a half ton cargo van all under 10000 lbs.

Express has non-DOT drivers.
Do you actually use your pickup truck for P&D? Every CSP I've met that has a pickup in their fleet uses it as a personal vehicle and tax write-off that they can park inside the building and will not use it to deliver... lol

bbsam

Staff member
Do you actually use your pickup truck for P&D? Every CSP I've met that has a pickup in their fleet uses it as a personal vehicle and tax write-off that they can park inside the building and will not use it to deliver... lol
Oh no. I deliver out of it all the time. The other aspects are definitely pluses but trucks are work vehicles.

I normally load up with 30 to 40 stops and drive around the iowa countryside for a few hours.

It’s amazing how a person can jam stops in to keep from having to come back to the building later in the day. And I only live three minutes from the terminal.

floridays

Oh no. I deliver out of it all the time. The other aspects are definitely pluses but trucks are work vehicles.

I normally load up with 30 to 40 stops and drive around the iowa countryside for a few hours.

It’s amazing how a person can jam stops in to keep from having to come back to the building later in the day. And I only live three minutes from the terminal.
Iowa countryside, some very nice views.:thumbup1:

dvalleyjim

I used to use my pickup truck all the time. It was illegal but the TM knew it and would let me load it inside the terminal. Once I delivered 150 PM packages out of it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
No mention was made of a hard shell cover, so it's natural to question how you can secure and protect your freight in a pickup truck. Both, I'm sure, being required by FDX.

bacha29

In addition, there is another class action by drivers of ISPs (Case 3:17-cv-00987-WWE) in Connecticut who are claiming fedex employee status who have a pretty strong case, considering that it is really fedex who directs and controls them, sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly through demands made on the ISP.

This may lead to either a truly independent ISP running each terminal under their own DOT number, or could lead to a co-employment situation, which could negate any benefit fedex is getting using ISP. That could lead to fedex ground merging with express using an all employee workforce. But it will likely be at least another 10-15 years to get this battle settled.
Given how they are trying to get the investor class C-Corps in the game, I too can see them beginning about a decade from now taking control of everything down line from the hubs. X will still control the hubs and operations between the hubs but the investor class will build buy or lease the terminals, haul under their own DOT authority as well as own or lease their own fleets or purchase transportation using the existing contractor model.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a different vision ten years down the road—-FedEx will finally be forced to admit what everyone knew from Day One—that the drivers ARE employees and as such will be treated the same as any other FedEx employee, with the same rights and benefits.

bacha29

I have a different vision ten years down the road—-FedEx will finally be forced to admit what everyone knew from Day One—that the drivers ARE employees and as such will be treated the same as any other FedEx employee, with the same rights and benefits.
As part of the class action settlement all class members in order to receive payment had to forfeit all rights to any claims based on events prior to April 30th 2016. Therefore even if it were to be decided in court that XG contractors were in fact employees it wouldn't really matter from an economic perspective from the standpoint of FXG. In addition the guys who drive for contractors have to be treated and payed as employees. Therefore any future litigation involving the matter would have to based on a different legal precedent .

MAKAVELI

As part of the class action settlement all class members in order to receive payment had to forfeit all rights to any claims based on events prior to April 30th 2016. Therefore even if it were to be decided in court that XG contractors were in fact employees it wouldn't really matter from an economic perspective from the standpoint of FXG. In addition the guys who drive for contractors have to be treated and payed as employees. Therefore any future litigation involving the matter would have to based on a different legal precedent .
Doesn't preclude class members of their rights after April 30th 2016.

It will be fine

It would have to be some type of co-employee scenario, which I don’t believe is terribly likely. There is too much variety in compensation to drivers to make a legit case that FedEx directly controls their compensation. Every contractor pays differently, there can $20k/yr gaps between drivers performing similar duties between different contractors.

bbsam

Staff member
No. They will never admit that because neither the courts nor political entities will force Fred S (and every other entity that hides behind contract law) to do so.

Maybe for another 7 to 10% in corporate tax rate they could be “persuaded” to change their model.