Guard Shack, Guns, Security

J

jibbs

A concealed carry license or permit (CCL, CCW or CWP are a few of the more commonly used acronyms depending on which state and possibly city and county you live in) and license to carry (LTC) are two very separate licenses/permits, though.

CJinx

I visited my local UPS station a few weeks ago to pick up a package. I was surprised that they had no fences or security to speak of. The customer entrance was closed(6:00 PM) and I was directed by what I'm guessing was an employee to a side door. I entered through this side door (which read authorized personnel only! lol) and stepped into the warehouse. There are people all around, package handlers, drivers in uniform, "shirt and tie" guys(managers?). Aside from the occasional "hello" or nod, they couldn't care less that a stranger was wandering around the building.

I have a permit to carry and was doing so at the time as well. I didn't run into any issues nor did I see any signs prohibiting firearms.

J

jibbs

I have a permit to carry and was doing so at the time as well. I didn't run into any issues nor did I see any signs prohibiting firearms.

It shouldn't be a problem for customers unless they wield the weapon.

On the other hand, this is definitely a grey area if you walk into the center on one of those days we've got police hanging out with the security guard, though... Normally you're required to tell police about your weapon, but, as far as I know, that's only when they engage you in official police business...

:censored2:, man, I've been out of school too long.

CJinx

Normally you're required to tell police about your weapon, but, as far as I know, that's only when they engage you in official police business...
Depends on what state you're in. Mine has no "duty to inform" but I imagine it is in your best interest if you're detained to answer truthfully if you have any weapons on you. I imagine they'd rather have you tell them than find it during a pat down or something.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How is the security of a bank threatened by a law abiding citizen with a carry permit? Bank robbers do not typically obtain carry permits prior to holding up banks.

You walk in to a bank in Upstate NY with a gun and you will get every available police agency in the area at that bank within 5 minutes.

oldngray

nowhere special
The bank tellers here are behind bulletproof plastic so it would make little difference if a customer is carrying. He could only rob other customers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A CCL's restrictions regarding "off-limits premises" vary from state to state. In Maryland, for example, the only place one with a CCL wouldn't be allowed to carry their firearm is a federal building. As far as I know, my home state has no state-level restrictions on where you can't carry even with a CCL, but it's damn near impossible for the Average Joe to even get the damn thing. You have to provide cause around here that your life/business/property is high-risk and needs protection.

It's been a while since I was in school for this type of stuff, though, so things may've changed over the past few years... I doubt it, though. Gun control laws normally hit the news pretty damn fast when things change up, especially when more restrictions are imposed.
Georgia is a must issue state so basically, you shell out the money and you get it unless you are a convicted felon or have been diagnosed with a mental illness.
Where you can Conceal Carry varies by State.
In Georgia, these are the restricted locations:
- In a government building
- In a courthouse
- In a jail or prison

- In a state mental health facility
-
In a bar
- In a Church
- On the premises of a nuclear power facility
- Within 150 feet of any polling place
- Schools of any kind
- Army Corps lakes and parks

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Georgia is a must issue state so basically, you shell out the money and you get it unless you are a convicted felon or have been diagnosed with a mental illness.
Where you can Conceal Carry varies by State.
In Georgia, these are the restricted locations:
- In a government building
- In a courthouse
- In a jail or prison

- In a state mental health facility
-
In a bar
- On the premises of a nuclear power facility
- Within 150 feet of any polling place
- Schools of any kind
- Army Corps lakes and parks
About the same in Washington, except where city councils are full of themselves.

browntroll

my building has security guards who wand me going in and out after metal detector(i wear steel toes). funny since i dont see them
wand suits that they know(higher up managers) hell they even open the doors for them. we also have fences and cameras not to mention the
guards circle the parking lot every now and then(bicycle). if anyone ever wanted to break in they could because security is unarmed but i wouldnt
mess with anyone inside the hub we have some mentally disturbed ppl in my hub, ppl that workout alot, not to mention these ppl have to work with
boxes 4-5 hours a day. im scared of ever pissing of a driver(huge calfs) i cant imagine the damage of getting kicked by one.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had an irate citizen go nuts at a County Board meeting not too far from where I live. He took the whole County Board hostage with a gun. He ended up being killed. I'm not sure if that County forbids weapons in the Court House (it wouldn't have done any good anyway) but I know for a fact that my local township meetings are attended by a few well armed law abiding citizens.

phox1515

I visited my local UPS station a few weeks ago to pick up a package. I was surprised that they had no fences or security to speak of. The customer entrance was closed(6:00 PM) and I was directed by what I'm guessing was an employee to a side door. I entered through this side door (which read authorized personnel only! lol) and stepped into the warehouse. There are people all around, package handlers, drivers in uniform, "shirt and tie" guys(managers?). Aside from the occasional "hello" or nod, they couldn't care less that a stranger was wandering around the building.

prime example of what I mean by lack of security and you did HAVE a gun... had you wanted to, you could have killed numerous employees and ups' rental security would not be able to do anything more than call the police, how long would it take them to show up before the damage you could do, or even escape.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Unarmed security...isn't.

In this day and age where everybody has a cellphone, it seems pretty pointless to equip someone a with blue uniform, a fake badge and a radio and refer to them as "security" when all they can really do in an emergency is to call 911 and hope someone with a gun shows up in time to save them....which is the same exact thing that every other unarmed person in the building will be doing too.

In this day and age where everybody has a cellphone, it seems pretty pointless to equip someone a with blue uniform, a fake badge and a radio and refer to them as "security" when all they can really do in an emergency is to call 911 and hope someone with a gun shows up in time to save them....which is the same exact thing that every other unarmed person in the building will be doing too.

But the uniform costume gives the illusion of authority.

OPTION3

You do realize that security and police don't carry firearms to protect you….they carry them to protect themselves….just sayin'

J

jibbs

You do realize that security and police don't carry firearms to protect you….they carry them to protect themselves….just sayin'

I would argue that the weapon is in a LEOs possession for both of those reasons-- not one or the other.

Private security guards know exactly what it is that they're supposed to protect. They're not public servants-- they're basically badges for hire, and as such the money tells them what they need to keep an eye on.

OPTION3

I would argue that the weapon is in a LEOs possession for both of those reasons-- not one or the other.

Private security guards know exactly what it is that they're supposed to protect. They're not public servants-- they're basically badges for hire, and as such the money tells them what they need to keep an eye on.
That's NOT what this article says--http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

J

jibbs

These articles are referring to a constitutional duty. I'm referring to a real-life situation where police witness a person being victimized by another.

While there may be no duty to protect, there is a duty to prevent crime from happening. Therefore, if they see a crime in progress they have a duty inherent to the position they hold to intervene.

While the weapon may not be specifically to shoot bad guys harming private citizens, it's not like that's a situation police can see unfold and just say, "Nope, not for me" and dip out. [EDIT: Well, I mean, they can, but I'm fairly confident that would be a dereliction of duty and, as such, an offense that would result in termination, demotion or, and it's super :censored2:ty this is a possibility, suspension. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some civil action a person abandoned by police while being victimized could take against the police department or sheriff's office, as well, provided there's anybody around to champion the issue.]

Also, I think it's kind of funny that the tools a public servant uses on the job doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the public, from a legal standpoint and according to the highest court in the nation. There have been state Supreme Court cases that contradict the federal ruling, but, you know... Supremacy Clause and all that jazz.

Thanks for those links. I had never heard of that ruling before I went to those pages.