Gun control advocates in Ferguson MO

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
"Most of us had never before heard of these self-described “social justice warriors,” a term most of us first heard as agitators descended upon Ferguson, Missouri in an attempt to turn strong-arm robbery suspect and attempted cop-killer Michael Brown into a martyr and rallying point"

http://bearingarms.com/heres-reality-lives-matter-others/

I have often wondered who funds the kind progressive people who do not seem to suffer from the responsibilities of gainful employment, and who can flit seamlessly from one protest to another. Food, transportation, housing and other basic living expenses seem to appear as if by magic. Moreover, someone pays for the professionally printed signage.

There have to be expenses for “”No Justice – No Peace.”

Perhaps unbeknownst to these happy revolutionaries, there is a wonderful Communist country about 90 miles off our Florida shore. They willingly accept American criminals and other of our assorted malcontents. Nice collection of classic cars, too. They should exercise care in not being run over by the residents who are able to flee.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No. It's because we get tired of being pulled over for "driving while black".

I'm not doubting that racial profiling does occur, but I have a problem with some of the methodology that is used to create the statistics that prove it.

Problem #1 is that it is often very difficult (if not impossible) to determine the race of a driver in a car that you are following, especially if the vehicle is a van or a wagon with items in the back.

Problem #2 is that it is often very difficult if not impossible to determine the race of a driver...even in a car that is stationary....at night.

To be fair, any methodology used to determine racial profiling would have to exclude nighttime traffic stops as well as stops made on a vehicle from which the drivers race cannot be determined from behind.

The reality in many cases is that the police aren't pulling over the driver they are pulling over the car. Black people tend to have lower incomes that whites per capita, which is a sociological issue completely unrelated to racial profiling. Lower-income people tend to drive beater cars with issues (tail lights out, headlights out, expired registration etc.) that draw police attention and traffic stops more frequently.

Racial profiling is certainly an issue but here is another way to look at it. A study of profiling was recently done in the Portland, Oregon metro area and it showed that, per capita, Caucasians are 3 times more likely to be pulled over than Asians. Does this mean that Portland police are bigoted against Caucasians like myself? Or does it simply reflect the fact that the Asians in our area tend to be affluent, well educated, law abiding, and the owners of well-maintained, late model cars that don't draw police attention?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'm not doubting that racial profiling does occur, but I have a problem with some of the methodology that is used to create the statistics that prove it.

Problem #1 is that it is often very difficult (if not impossible) to determine the race of a driver in a car that you are following, especially if the vehicle is a van or a wagon with items in the back.

Problem #2 is that it is often very difficult if not impossible to determine the race of a driver...even in a car that is stationary....at night.

If it's a used high end Mercedes or BMW in beat up shape, or an old hoopty driving like a knucklehead, then it's not THAT to determine the race. lol

bbsam

Staff member

To be fair, any methodology used to determine racial profiling would have to exclude nighttime traffic stops as well as stops made on a vehicle from which the drivers race cannot be determined from behind.

The reality in many cases is that the police aren't pulling over the driver they are pulling over the car. Black people tend to have lower incomes that whites per capita, which is a sociological issue completely unrelated to racial profiling. Lower-income people tend to drive beater cars with issues (tail lights out, headlights out, expired registration etc.) that draw police attention and traffic stops more frequently.

Racial profiling is certainly an issue but here is another way to look at it. A study of profiling was recently done in the Portland, Oregon metro area and it showed that, per capita, Caucasians are 3 times more likely to be pulled over than Asians. Does this mean that Portland police are bigoted against Caucasians like myself? Or does it simply reflect the fact that the Asians in our area tend to be affluent, well educated, law abiding, and the owners of well-maintained, late model cars that don't draw police attention?
I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that based on the sample size. But minorities get pissed when the sample size is on a national scale and I, for example, wouldn't feel the least bit safe driving across Mississippi in a 2015 Mustang GT.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that based on the sample size. But minorities get :censored2: when the sample size is on a national scale and I, for example, wouldn't feel the least bit safe driving across Mississippi in a 2015 Mustang GT.

What if you had a valid license, registration, proof of insurance and were clean and sober and driving the speed limit?

I'm not saying you wouldn't be more likely to get pulled over than me....you probably would and that is wrong....but if you were courteous and cooperative with the cop, what is the worst outcome that is likely to happen?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What if you had a valid license, registration, proof of insurance and were clean and sober and driving the speed limit?

I'm not saying you wouldn't be more likely to get pulled over than me....you probably would and that is wrong....but if you were courteous and cooperative with the cop, what is the worst outcome that is likely to happen?
Police are human. There are bad people out there in the world, taking an oath doesn't take all of those people out of the equation.

A cop one on one with a person has basically unlimited power, at least temporarily. When there's only two witnesses and one is a cop, who is a judge or jury going to believe. They could say anything happened.