guns

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober - We have a gun safe and it is used but I do not keep every gun in it. There is no point in having a gun if I have to say wait a minute I need to go get my gun to a criminal. Right at this minute my 9mm is on my computer desk. I do not agree with you on the open carry freaking people out. One gets used to what one lives around. Mac said that criminals would be less likely to commit a crime if everyone open carried. I agree. But I also believe that applies to concealed carry.

On my nightstand is a small safe with an electronic keypad. All I have to do is type in a 4-digit code and the door pops open. I store my carry piece in there for immediate access, the rest of my guns are in a steel vault. My wife does not like guns so our compromise is that I can own and cary them as long as they are locked up while at home. My teenagers have friends come to visit, so its best that they remain secured.

As far as open carry goes...I have opened carried before while bowhunting over in Eastern Oregon. Over there it is socially acceptable. Here in the Willamette Valley/Portland metro area, it isnt. I totally support the right of a person to choose open carry, but it is not a choice I would make around here. I pefer to be discreet and avoid drawing any attention to myself.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
On my nightstand is a small safe with an electronic keypad. All I have to do is type in a 4-digit code and the door pops open. I store my carry piece in there for immediate access, the rest of my guns are in a steel vault. My wife does not like guns so our compromise is that I can own and cary them as long as they are locked up while at home. My teenagers have friends come to visit, so its best that they remain secured.

As far as open carry goes...I have opened carried before while bowhunting over in Eastern Oregon. Over there it is socially acceptable. Here in the Willamette Valley/Portland metro area, it isnt. I totally support the right of a person to choose open carry, but it is not a choice I would make around here. I pefer to be discreet and avoid drawing any attention to myself.
Very good reasons to have a safe. Both your wifes concern and also having kids friends in the house. If I had kids at home I would not leave guns laying out in the open either. :happy2:

brett636

Why I Don't Carry a Gun

I don't carry a gun as I don't feel the need to do so.

I don't carry a gun because where I live there is no need to do so.

I don't carry a gun because there are no real threats in my world.

I don't carry a gun because I have chosen to live in an area where guns are not needed.

I don't carry a gun because I don't want to spend the rest of my life living in fear.

I don't carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Some may call me naive, some may call me foolish, but I don't carry a gun, will never carry a gun, and I do not feel like I am less of a man or person for not doing so. I do feel sorry for those of you who live in areas where this is a concern in your lives. These beliefs are mine and, yes, they were formed as the result of a tragedy in my family. I do respect the rights of others in respect to firearms--I only ask that you respect mine. Dave.

I know this has been said before, but I would like to echo the comments earlier on how this is all we ask of anyone. If you choose not to own or carry a firearm then you have every right to make that choice. I would never advocate that you be forced to have a firearm if you have no interest in owning one. Just please understand that those of us who do kindly request that you don't try to force us out of owning one simply because of your stated views.

brett636

I am a proud gun(s) owner. I do not support the NRA, but do support the 2nd Amendment to an extent. However 1) I don't want convicted felons buying guns unless a substantial period of time goes by after release and they prove and are pre-determine they are once again productive non threatening citizens. 2) I don't want mentally unstable or mentally challenged people buying guns. 3) I want a 5-7 day "cooling off" period with new gun owners. 4) I want background checkers held liable at gun shows. 5) I want Law Enforcement authorities to carry bigger badder guns and ammo than the general public unless your a qualified gun collector, instructor or designated liscense holder for commercial purposes. And 6) I will openly chastise Libertarians who are openly carrying guns to political events, legal or not. JMHO.

I agree with your stance on felons and gun ownership. It is much too easy to become a convicted felon without having to commit a single violent act. The law on felons and gun ownership should be able to differentiate between a violent, and non violent felon. Violent felons should not be able to carry firearms, while non violent felons should be able to after a certain time period or even after serving their time.

But I must ask though, is it really necessary for the police to have "bigger badder guns" as you state? Any weapon can be effective, and police are trained in more advance firearms methods than your average citizen. I would think their training would negate any need to have "bigger badder guns" than the general population.

bbsam

Staff member
Diesel96,
I know this will be a surprise to you ---but I agree with most of your post.
I am a liitle uncomfortable with the felons ----but substanstial time would have to be very defined-----it just leads into the argument that every time a felon or thug commits a crime with a gun ----the cry goes out that my gun and every american's gun should be confiscated.
I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone say that "every american's gun should be confiscated". Instead I hear those who favor gun control demonized as those people who want to confiscate "every american's gun. I think there is a big difference.

island1fox

I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone say that "every american's gun should be confiscated". Instead I hear those who favor gun control demonized as those people who want to confiscate "every american's gun. I think there is a big difference.

bbsam,
With all due respect --think what you want -but there are people and politicians who do want to confiscate all guns. It is a long road but also a very slippery slope.
The vast majority of gun owners -including myself --want our gun laws enforced --I would like to see much longer prison terms for those in violation --a good example Plaxico Burris - a football player with an unlicesed gun--shoots himself --puts others ar risk --only receives two years --in my opinion gun crime would go way down if they were facing 25+:happy2:

brett636

Let me help you with that. Here are two U.S. government officials, one current, one not current, who has stated that they would like to ban all guns.

DIANNE FEINSTEIN, U.S. SENATOR FROM CALIFORNIA

"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe.”
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright
ban, picking up every one of them; "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in," I
would have done it.”

JANET RENO, FORMER U.S. ATTORNEY GENERAL

"The most effective means of fighting crime in the United States is to outlaw the
possession of any type of firearm by the civilian populace."

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,
With all due respect --think what you want -but there are people and politicians who do want to confiscate all guns. It is a long road but also a very slippery slope.
The vast majority of gun owners -including myself --want our gun laws enforced --I would like to see much longer prison terms for those in violation --a good example Plaxico Burris - a football player with an unlicesed gun--shoots himself --puts others ar risk --only receives two years --in my opinion gun crime would go way down if they were facing 25+:happy2:
With all due respect, I think you unfairly put many in that category who simply do not belong there. Your statement about a "slippery slope" speaks to your fear of intentions rather than what the intentions may be. Here in Illinois a FOID (Fire-arms owner id) card is required and sure enough there are those who believe it's so that they can "round up all the guns". In fact it's a useful tool for law enforcement to enforce the laws you speak of i.e. stolen fire-arms. You see, I'm not anti-gun at all. I just think that YOUR gun id YOUR responsibility and that includes YOUR responsibility to secure it against theft. That is a reponsibility I don't want with children in the house and one I have no problem with holding other citizens accountable for. It's not only incumbent on law enforcement to catch those who steal weapons, but also on the owner to do everything possible to prevent that theft.

island1fox

With all due respect, I think you unfairly put many in that category who simply do not belong there. Your statement about a "slippery slope" speaks to your fear of intentions rather than what the intentions may be. Here in Illinois a FOID (Fire-arms owner id) card is required and sure enough there are those who believe it's so that they can "round up all the guns". In fact it's a useful tool for law enforcement to enforce the laws you speak of i.e. stolen fire-arms. You see, I'm not anti-gun at all. I just think that YOUR gun id YOUR responsibility and that includes YOUR responsibility to secure it against theft. That is a reponsibility I don't want with children in the house and one I have no problem with holding other citizens accountable for. It's not only incumbent on law enforcement to catch those who steal weapons, but also on the owner to do everything possible to prevent that theft.

bbsam,
I will gladly do my part. Anyone who breaks into my house to steal my guns or harm my family ---I will shoot them!:happy-very:
I hope that falls into your description of everything possible !

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,
I will gladly do my part. Anyone who breaks into my house to steal my guns or harm my family ---I will shoot them!:happy-very:
I hope that falls into your description of everything possible !
Works for me. I hope for your sake the courts find it to be a "justified" shooting. A good legal defense could cause financial ruin, but hey, ya gotta fight for your rights, eh?:happy2:

bbsam

Staff member
Let me help you with that. Here are two U.S. government officials, one current, one not current, who has stated that they would like to ban all guns.

DIANNE FEINSTEIN, U.S. SENATOR FROM CALIFORNIA

"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe.”
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright
ban, picking up every one of them; "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in," I
would have done it.”

JANET RENO, FORMER U.S. ATTORNEY GENERAL

"The most effective means of fighting crime in the United States is to outlaw the
possession of any type of firearm by the civilian populace."
Those got a lot of traction, didn't they?

klein

Für Meno :)
Could anyone ever imagine a whole country or world without guns ?
Hell no !
Would go back to fist fighting !

Guns are here for a reason.
Shoot and kill.
Great thing we have them.

But, I'm blessed and pleased for countries that ban them.

D

Dis-organized Labor

IO had several guns and I got rid of them when my kids were very young.

At this stage of my life, I'd like a machine gun to shoot for sport... that;s all

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I see someone has decided to stick his nose back into this issue again. :angry: Under most circumstances I wouldn't mind but he has no intention of debating the issue. His intent is nothing more than bashing my rights to own my guns. And bashing this country's laws. I would sooner debate this with Dave because at least we can respect each others ideals and opinions. I have no respect for your opinion and I really don't care to see you put your 2 cents in on this but since I cannot stop you then I will tell you this. You can stick your 2 cents where the sun don't shine and don't let the door hit you in the a&& on the way out.

Last edited:

island1fox

Works for me. I hope for your sake the courts find it to be a "justified" shooting. A good legal defense could cause financial ruin, but hey, ya gotta fight for your rights, eh?:happy2:

bbsam,
If I am dead --money will not matter. I would much prefer to be judged by twelve of my peers than carried by six !!!!:wink2:
I will fight for my rights --but most importantly will fight for my family's and my life !!!!!

island1fox

Could anyone ever imagine a whole country or world without guns ?
Hell no !
Would go back to fist fighting !

Guns are here for a reason.
Shoot and kill.
Great thing we have them.

But, I'm blessed and pleased for countries that ban them.

Klein,
Welcome back. You should be pleased that the only military superpower in the world protects your butts way up north as well as most of the free world. I guess it is a shame they use guns to do so !!!:happy-very: